What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke

Yeah, but in defense of scouting, you watch the tape for what can be taken from it and do interviews with coaches to determine the stuff you're referring to. You don't make assumptions about what you're seeing. You may interview the player at the combine and ask how they read a certain play for instance. You may interview a HC or OC to determine what kind of adjustments a QB is making at the line.

The kinds of holes in Penix's game are ones that come up over and over and which deal with his inability to manage the offense (find the open man on a route concept versus snapping right over to his #1 favorite), to throw on schedule, to see/hit the underneath routes, to control ball placement, to step into throws, etc.

Penix really isn't a refined prospect. He's talented. He looks for the big play. When there's pressure he gets more aggressive and chucks it up. He's quite the opposite of what someone like Tua was coming out and way different than who Tua is today. Penix will motivate an entirely different offense approach wherever he goes.
Exactly. That's why I referenced "Outsiders".

To really have a correct eval, you have to talk to ppl who have worked with the player. Even then, you have to read between the lines to an extent, as college coaches really won't throw their players under the bus.

As for holes in his game, nearly every QB coming out of college has holes. It's a matter of if they are seen as correctable through higher level coaching.

It's April Fools, so instead of creating a stupid thread about Tyreek Hill being diagnosed with some rare exotic STD thats currenrly baffling scientists or something like that, I thought about the most outrageous take currently swirling around the Dolphins and it has to sit in Joel Klatts office.

He is adimit that the Dolphins should not only draft Penix, he also believes the Dolphins will be better with Penix than with Tua.

He thinks Penix is Taylor-made for McDaniels offense. "Dolphins offense needs a QB who throws on time, quickly from the pocket, with great leverage, accurately and far down the field, and there is a gonna be a guy sitting there that; those are his best attributes in Penix. He's great from the pocket, he manipulates the field, very experianced player with 45 starts and throws with power and leverage"

"They can then trade Tua to a offense that's a better fit for himself"

- Personally i don't think Penix is as good as Klatt says, he paints Penix as a better verson of Justin Herbert and the likleyhood of that being true is prob less than 1%. I think Penix takes too many risks with the ball and I see his ceiling for a player comp to be Jay Cutler. I'm not sure if Klatt is just pushing this for clicks or if he honestly thinks Penix is this kind of talent.

Curious to see what other ppl think about this "April Fools-like take" that Klatt has been spewing for the last 2 months.
No.

As for holes in his game, nearly every QB coming out of college has holes. It's a matter of if they are seen as correctable through higher level coaching.

I wouldn't call something a hole unless I saw it as a major obstacle with potentially career-ending significance.

Every prospect has strengths & weakness, sure. But a "hole" is something which is entirely absent and generally that's a big thing when it comes to a QB.

A starting QB in the NFL must be be able to master a playbook. He must be able to see the field. He must be able to stand firm in the pocket. He must be able to throw accurately.

Those are the non-negotiable "musts" of the position. Nobody can hold a job long-term without doing those. When you look at Penix and see issues with touch & accuracy, it threatens his ability to be a long-term starting QB in the NFL.

The history of big-arm QBs who lacked touch and went on to learn the skill at the NFL includes...who? What percentage "learn" that skill at the next level? Does anyone? I'm not talking about throwing it a little high or low here. I'm talking the inability to layer his throws to get them over a LB and short of a DB. That's a touch thing. That's your brain doing a calculation in microseconds. That's not physically correctable by an outside mechanic most of the time.

As Tua has shown, you can have arm talent without arm strength and get by. You cannot get by with arm strength alone though. We saw that right out of the gate with Chad Henne. No touch leads to immediate failure.

Last edited:
The only way we draft a QB that high would mean Tua and his camp are being unreasonable with contract demands and we plan to let him play his 5th year out and walk.

I wouldn't call something a hole unless I saw it as a major obstacle with potentially career-ending significance.

Every prospect has strengths & weakness, sure. But a "hole" is something which is entirely absent and generally that's a big thing when it comes to a QB.

A starting QB in the NFL must be be able to master a playbook. He must be able to see the field. He must be able to stand firm in the pocket. He must be able to throw accurately.

Those are the non-negotiable "musts" of the position. Nobody can hold a job long-term without doing those. When you look at Penix and see issues with touch & accuracy, it threatens his ability to be a long-term starting QB in the NFL.

The history of big-arm QBs who lacked touch and went on to learn the skill at the NFL includes...who? What percentage "learn" that skill at the next level? Does anyone? I'm not talking about throwing it a little high or low here. I'm talking the inability to layer his throws to get them over a LB and short of a DB. That's a touch thing. That's your brain doing a calculation in microseconds. That's not physically correctable by an outside mechanic most of the time.

As Tua has shown, you can have arm talent without arm strength and get by. You cannot get by with arm strength alone though. We saw that right out of the gate with Chad Henne. No touch leads to immediate failure.
Mello I'm curious, you clearly have done alot of research on Penix, have you done this with all the top QBs in this draft?

And if so, what are your rankings/projections on these guys?

Tell us you didn't read a single post, including the OP without telling us didn't read a single post including the OP.
I've watched most all of his games and he is decent .. maybe he works out for somebody . I would take the Michigan guy over him . Just my opinion tho.

Putting aside dumping Tua for this discussion, Penix is the anti-Shanhan QB.

The things that offense requires he does not do well, or at all.

Unless McD wants to abandon his offense and totally change what he thinks about offense Penix does not makes a lot of sense.

Kind of like any time Klatt speaks during a broadcast.

Back
Top Bottom