What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Dolphins drafted Penix like Joel Klatt suggests - Pretend this is some sort of clever April Fools joke

I haven’t watched Penix much.

I don’t give a crap what Klatt writes.

However, if Grier and McD end up drafting Penix instead of paying Tua, that’ll be the biggest organizational decision in decades.

It's April Fools, so instead of creating a stupid thread about Tyreek Hill being diagnosed with some rare exotic STD thats currenrly baffling scientists or something like that, I thought about the most outrageous take currently swirling around the Dolphins and it has to sit in Joel Klatts office.

He is adimit that the Dolphins should not only draft Penix, he also believes the Dolphins will be better with Penix than with Tua.

He thinks Penix is Taylor-made for McDaniels offense. "Dolphins offense needs a QB who throws on time, quickly from the pocket, with great leverage, accurately and far down the field, and there is a gonna be a guy sitting there that; those are his best attributes in Penix. He's great from the pocket, he manipulates the field, very experianced player with 45 starts and throws with power and leverage"

"They can then trade Tua to a offense that's a better fit for himself"

- Personally i don't think Penix is as good as Klatt says, he paints Penix as a better verson of Justin Herbert and the likleyhood of that being true is prob less than 1%. I think Penix takes too many risks with the ball and I see his ceiling for a player comp to be Jay Cutler. I'm not sure if Klatt is just pushing this for clicks or if he honestly thinks Penix is this kind of talent.

Curious to see what other ppl think about this "April Fools-like take" that Klatt has been spewing for the last 2 months.
PENIX = PAT WHITE

Seriously when you watch his college plays and compare it to Pat White's plays they look the same, the player looks the same in size as well.

Just another little QB that can run a bit. His arm is suspect as well.

I wouldn't call something a hole unless I saw it as a major obstacle with potentially career-ending significance.

Every prospect has strengths & weakness, sure. But a "hole" is something which is entirely absent and generally that's a big thing when it comes to a QB.

A starting QB in the NFL must be be able to master a playbook. He must be able to see the field. He must be able to stand firm in the pocket. He must be able to throw accurately.

Those are the non-negotiable "musts" of the position. Nobody can hold a job long-term without doing those. When you look at Penix and see issues with touch & accuracy, it threatens his ability to be a long-term starting QB in the NFL.

The history of big-arm QBs who lacked touch and went on to learn the skill at the NFL includes...who? What percentage "learn" that skill at the next level? Does anyone? I'm not talking about throwing it a little high or low here. I'm talking the inability to layer his throws to get them over a LB and short of a DB. That's a touch thing. That's your brain doing a calculation in microseconds. That's not physically correctable by an outside mechanic most of the time.

As Tua has shown, you can have arm talent without arm strength and get by. You cannot get by with arm strength alone though. We saw that right out of the gate with Chad Henne. No touch leads to immediate failure.
good post. I like the way think about evaluating the Qb position

Guys. We had the second highest scoring offense in the league last season. Tua finally has that huge weight of not playing a full season lifted off his shoulders. We will be the number one offense in football again. We improved at TE, we have a big upgrade at center compared to what we had in our most meaningful games last season.

When we just crumbled during the Tennessee game and turned into the same ol Dolphins, I knew right then the season was in trouble.

Lots of ppl point to the injuries but there was more too it, coaching, playcalling, lockerroom issues, something changed that week and the team never returned to the team they were to start the season.
the douchebag in Philly

PENIX = PAT WHITE

Seriously when you watch his college plays and compare it to Pat White's plays they look the same, the player looks the same in size as well.

You have got to be kidding if you think Penix is another Pat White.

Penix is 6'2 216 which is 2 inches taller than Tua and Penix has a very strong arm while Tua has a noodle arm.

Pivotong from Tua to Penix instead of handing out a mega contract to Tua would be the smartest thing Grier could do but it probably wont happen.

PENIX = PAT WHITE

Penix is 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Guess you didn’t watch Penix at all the last two years as he didn’t run the ball much at all. The only reason White was drafted was to run that stupid wildcat crap. And we all know how that worked out.

You have got to be kidding if you think Penix is another Pat White.

Penix is 6'2 216 which is 2 inches taller than Tua and Penix has a very strong arm while Tua has a noodle arm.

Pivotong from Tua to Penix instead of handing out a mega contract to Tua would be the smartest thing Grier could do but it probably wont happen.
Man thats like trading in a BMW for a lottery ticket for a chance at winning a Porshe.

Penix has bust potential on a pretty high level for one and Tua has shown the ability to be pretty damn good.

Even if you whole heartedly believe this, Tua led the league in passing, at an organizational level you have to understand why the franchise can't take a risk like this.

Man thats like trading in a BMW for a lottery ticket for a chance at winning a Porshe.

Penix has bust potential on a pretty high level for one and Tua has shown the ability to be pretty damn good.

Even if you whole heartedly believe this, Tua led the league in passing, at an organizational level you have to understand why the franchise can't take a risk like this.
I know we wont take that risk but I believe Penix's ceiling is higher than Tua's. Sure Tua will rack up a lot of yards against bad defenses but when will he win big games against good teams?

I know we wont take that risk but I believe Penix's ceiling is higher than Tua's. Sure Tua will rack up a lot of yards against bad defenses but when will he win big games against good teams?

Based upon what?

And why is it that such a “good” prospect had to play 6 years in college and is rated so lightly? He’s the 4 or 5th QB on the majority of draft boards. And largely not graded higher than a 2nd round pick.

But, somehow he’s got a higher ceiling than a kid drafted 5th overall in 2020 that was widely considered a #1 pick prospect prior to his hip injury? And that is coming off a career season and being top top 3-5 QB the past 2 seasons.

It’s amazing to me what desperate people can fool themselves into believing for no good reason whatsoever.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting that Michael Penix can’t or won’t have a successful career and that it’s impossible for him to be better than Tua or Burrow or Herbert or whomever else you wanna name.

All I’m saying is there’s really no justification to believe that the odds of it happening are remotely good. If the odds were good, Penix wouldn’t be rated below as many QB’s in this class as he is and he would be overwhelming considered a high first round pick.

But he’s not. And please, nobody cite me Tom Brady or Brock Purdy. Those are rare, rare exceptions that still weren’t drafted highly with the idea of replacing an established pro bowl caliber QB that’s currently rated top 3-5 in the league.

I get liking a prospect. But the idea of drafting a kid that’s not even a sure fire 1st round talent and is already widely rated below 3-4 other QB’s from his own class to replace a player that proven to be an uppermtier QB is just hater madness. If it ain’t hate, then it’s showcasing ignorance and ineptitude.

PENIX = PAT WHITE

Lousy comparison. Not even close to being the same size either. Penix is 3 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier.

No offense fellas but from what I'm seeing, many of you guys pass on Marino because we had Woodley who just got us to a SB...

Woodley never threw more td’s then ints in Miami and your comparing him to a guy that lead the nfl in passing yards and rating in back to back years with a 2:1 and 3:1 td to int ratio the last two years and you think that’s a similar comparison?

Now throw in the fact that Marino was without a doubt a top 5 pick who fell due to “character concerns” but still regarded as a top tier qb to Michael Penix which makes your comparison even crazier…

Based upon what?

And why is it that such a “good” prospect had to play 6 years in college and is rated so lightly? He’s the 4 or 5th QB on the majority of draft boards. And largely not graded higher than a 2nd round pick.

But, somehow he’s got a higher ceiling than a kid drafted 5th overall in 2020 that was widely considered a #1 pick prospect prior to his hip injury? And that is coming off a career season and being top top 3-5 QB the past 2 seasons.

It’s amazing to me what desperate people can fool themselves into believing for no good reason whatsoever.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting that Michael Penix can’t or won’t have a successful career and that it’s impossible for him to be better than Tua or Burrow or Herbert or whomever else you wanna name.

All I’m saying is there’s really no justification to believe that the odds of it happening are remotely good. If the odds were good, Penix wouldn’t be rated below as many QB’s in this class as he is and he would be overwhelming considered a high first round pick.

But he’s not. And please, nobody cite me Tom Brady or Brock Purdy. Those are rare, rare exceptions that still weren’t drafted highly with the idea of replacing an established pro bowl caliber QB that’s currently rated top 3-5 in the league.

I get liking a prospect. But the idea of drafting a kid that’s not even a sure fire 1st round talent and is already widely rated below 3-4 other QB’s from his own class to replace a player that proven to be an uppermtier QB is just hater madness. If it ain’t hate, then it’s showcasing ignorance and ineptitude.
top tier post

Back
Top Bottom