What if Rivers is there at 20 and we don't take him? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Rivers is there at 20 and we don't take him?

Originally posted by KBISBACK
No.

What Chambers has done is make himself look superhuman on occasion. All that does is make Jay look even worse because he can never hit him in stride.

It's scary to think of how good Chambers would be if he had a quarterback that could get him the ball.

That I can agree on. ;)

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

That's not a very good example, talking about the records Rivers broke at "QB". Does Mike Clayton play QB? No. I'm sure you haven't seen Rivers more than 1-3 times. I've seen Rivers and Clayton many times, and Clayton is a much better prospect than Rivers. Ask any NFL Draft analyst, they'll tell you the same thing.

If you want to talk about records, let's talk about where Detmer and some of the guys whose records were broken by Rivers are today, and what they've accomplished in the NFL.

Yes. Let's talk about Detmer vs Rivers.

Detmer = 6-0, 190 lbs, below average arm

Rivers = 6-5, 235 lbs, above average arm

Detmer had the intangibles, but he lacked the size and the arm to be a successful NFL starter. He's made a career of being a very strong back up quarterback though.

Rivers has the physical tools and the intangibles to not only be a solid starter but a great starter at the NFL level.

He isn't on the level of prospects like Kliff Kingsbury, BJ Symons, and other system made quarterbacks. Rivers has the total package and is second only to Manning when taking everything into account.

Personally, I'd be all for passing on Rivers and using the 2005 #1 to trade for Henson.
As for the #20 pick, I think I would prefer Clayton. I would also mention Reggie Williams, who might be a better fit for our offense. We've been looking for that big receiver opposite Chambers since Gadsden got hurt. Williams is 6-3 with excellent hands. (note: please don't confuse him with Roy Williams, who is a surefire top 10 pick)
How about an OL? Vernon Carey should be there at 20, and he can play guard or tackle.

Based on what?

What you read from some crackpot scouting report?

The guy didn't average 9.8 yards per attempt for his career by not being accurate on downfield throws.

After reading this article from Boomer

Da link Myabe passing on Rivers will not be such a bad thing. Irregaurdless of what happens, you can be assured that with all the non-talk of JF and BG, Our QB depth chart is going to look very different next year.

Veteran FA | Rosenfels | Rivers, Losman, Schaub, Henson

Rosenfels | Veteran FA | Rivers, Losman, Schaub, Henson

Veteren FA | Ricky Ray | Rosenfels or Rivers, Losman, Shaub, Henson

(doubtful) Rivers, Losman, Schaub, Henson | Veteran FA | Rosenfels

or

Veteran FA | JF or Rosenfels | Rivers, Losman, Schaub, Henson

There are so many combinations, that we wont have an idea until Free Agency is over with. I do hope that if we don't take a qb in the first round I hope we take a WR.

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Based on what?

What you read from some crackpot scouting report?

Believe me, nobody on here knows more than the scouts.

Based on what I saw for myself. Listen to what Boomer has to say about PR's deepball, he spends a lot of time scouting prospects. There are tons of QBs in college who get the ball downfield, then when they come in the NFL, they can't get the job done. I hate to bring up the unorthodox statement, but it's so true.

I would not mind us picking Rivers, but I would take Clayton over him any day of the week.

Originally posted by phunwin
Personally, I'd be all for passing on Rivers and using the 2005 #1 to trade for Henson.
As for the #20 pick, I think I would prefer Clayton. I would also mention Reggie Williams, who might be a better fit for our offense. We've been looking for that big receiver opposite Chambers since Gadsden got hurt. Williams is 6-3 with excellent hands. (note: please don't confuse him with Roy Williams, who is a surefire top 10 pick)
How about an OL? Vernon Carey should be there at 20, and he can play guard or tackle.

I doubt Reggie Williams will be there. If you wonna go by value.. if Clayton is there, then he should be the top player on the board as for the three of our needs(QB, WR, OL).

Again, I just can't justify taking a WR over a QB in this draft. Not when the amount of "good" WRs far outnumbers the amount of "good" QBs. And not with the way our QB depth chart looks right now.

Originally posted by Muck
Again, I just can't justify taking a WR over a QB in this draft. Not when the amount of "good" WRs far outnumbers the amount of "good" QBs. And not with the way our QB depth chart looks right now.

That's a good way to put it. But we don't know what's gonna happen between now and April. We could trade for Henson, we could sign Darrell Jackson, Peter Warrick could get cut and signed by us, Wale could find us another 1st rounder, or something like that. I guess only time will tell.

I hear ya but...

Originally posted by Muck

We still may make a run at Drew Henson, which at that point drafting a qb would be dumb, or we end up getting an extra 1st for O-gun and take a wr, move up or down depending on the draft and take Schaub (I've read he has better mechanics than most qb's in the draft).

I just hope we dont take a rb, fb, dt, lb or cb, with our first pick, because then I'd be extremely pissed.

Originally posted by ChambersOwnz84

That's a good way to put it. But we don't know what's gonna happen between now and April. We could trade for Henson, we could sign Darrell Jackson, Peter Warrick could get cut and signed by us, Wale could find us another 1st rounder, or something like that. I guess only time will tell.

That was what I had in mind when I went with Clayton....that we'd have Henson....should've stated that. I think we'll get both of these guys.

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

That was what I had in mind when I went with Clayton....that we'd have Henson....should've stated that. I think we'll get both of these guys.

Getting Henson and Clayton would be great for the future(though Clayton should make a big impact from year 1).

Originally posted by MiamiFan1354
You can have all the wideouts in the world, but if you don't have a QB who can get the ball to them, then they are useless.

wow, voice of reason. And i would just like to know what Micheal Clayton has done to separate himself from the field? What is it that makes him so good? I dont think anyone really knows. I think Raushaun Woods could be just as good. I beleive some WR who gets picked in the 3rd round could end up just as good.

Back
Top Bottom