What if Saban fails? How much time do we give him? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What if Saban fails? How much time do we give him?

The guy has yet to coach one game and people are wondering how long the rope should be? lets wait and see what happens.I'd say we'll see improvement each year,barring a rash of injuries.

I give him 3 years to get us to a Superbowl. 5 years tops.

Nublar7 said:
I say give him the length of his contract(5 years) or at least 4 years. Wanny got 5 years for crying out loud! However, 2-3 years down the road, we will most likely be talking about giving him a contract extension.

Ditto'd ^^

jlfin said:
4-5 yrs is an eternity in the NFL. In this era of free agency coaches have 2-3 yrs to show something. If they don't, they are gone.5 yrs is a career for the average NFL player.

And, that was the purpose of Mueller coming to our org. To bring that talent in. But, Randy/Nick still have to clean up wannys mess, and that will take about 3 years. but, the team will progress, just not fast. To reclaim the cap space from highly inflating back loaded contracts, and heavy cap hits, it will take a while. just dont get in a big rush. I like what has been built, just give it is due time to pay dividends. DO NOT be in a big rush.

You've got to figure the first two years are pure honeymoon, in the eyes of the organization if not the type of fan who will scream for his head in the fourth quarter of the Bronco game if we're failing. By the middle of the third year there will be widespread rumblings if significant improvement is not evident. My criteria would be fundamental judgment: if he's doing the right thing in terms of keeping and stockpiling draft picks, good value in free agency, and common sense winning football in terms of key stats like rushing attempts for and against. I had nothing against Rick Spielman as GM until he flopped the fundamental judgment test 4 or 5 times in the first 6 months.

Two to three years to start showing signs of success...not necessarily SB but playoffs. A word of caution, Nick has never stayed anywhere more than 5 years, that was LSU. He was gone at Toledo and MSU before that. The whole time he continues to state he has no plans to go anywhere else. He may have been merely trying to get back to the NFL as the Head Coach. I'm a Michigan fan I remember him well at State.

I think he's a lifer, like Cowher. Of course that greatly depends on results, but even if we go 8-8 a few times, it's what he's teaching, the system he's setting up. I think we go his full 5 years unless he has like 3 losing seasons and ends the 5th year really horribly.

I don't see any of that happening, I see a good year this year and much more to come. That's not based on hope, it's based on character, history, his system, approach, etc. It just make take a few years to get his players, especially if AJ doesn't work out.

wazzy said:
I know the Dolphins have loads of potential and as good as hes making this team look good on paper but what if he can't make these guys perform on the field. How many years do we give him? 3 or 4 or 5 depending on improvements but like if we dont have any winning seasons for his whole dolphins career as a coach how long do you think he should stay in Miami?

Seems to me we could probably wait to pose this question until they at least log a game under Saban........don't you think?

BlueFin said:
Seems to me we could probably wait to pose this question until they at least log a game under Saban........don't you think?

No, if we do not win the first preseason game, then I say that we fire his *** :yell:

Saban inherited a mess.......and I give him credit....he has built a awesome coaching staff.....and has cut off some of the "fat" from this team and has put his stamp on it with FA's and draft picks. He has positioned us with the Salary Cap in mind so we are not the 49ers for 5 years. He also can motivate some of the "fat" that remains and has earned the respect of the veterns, which i think means the most, such as Taylor, Zach, and Seau.....Rookies will look to the Vets for leadership. I give this thing 3-5 years....for serious SuperBowl contention....this year a 8-8 season will be expected at the very least.....from there....nothing but winning seasons. His biggest Obstacle that I see....is QB....This 1st year will be a expirment at best with Feeley or Ferotte. By year 2 or 3.....There will be a new starter at QB.....and I think Ferotte will be backup with Feeley and Sage gone. Ferotte will start this year. He KNOWS the offense....and is the safest pick to help us win games this year.

djfresh47 said:
Think of it this way, if Aj does not show he's a decent QB, a new Qb will be brought in next year and if he's drafted would you expect a rookie Qb to come in and lead the team to the playoffs in his 1st year? I say if AJ turns out to be the answer the team could be a playoff contender next season, if AJ is not the answer than it's year 3-4 that the team needs to be a playoff contender. I don't think it's a quick fix so i'm gonna be patient and there will be growing pains as Saban adjusts to the pro game, it's definately not a quick fix, and alot of fans seem to have very high expectations, all I hope is that the team is much better at the end of the year than they were at the start.

I agree. No matter how good Saban is he won't succeed without a QB. I expect it will be his #1 priority next season. If we acquire one next season then it will be at least 3 yrs before we should have any real expectations. IMO Saban will get at least 5 years. I believe Saban will succeed so my bigger fear is that he will leave not that we'll be showing him the door.

wazzy said:
I know the Dolphins have loads of potential and as good as hes making this team look good on paper but what if he can't make these guys perform on the field. How many years do we give him? 3 or 4 or 5 depending on improvements but like if we dont have any winning seasons for his whole dolphins career as a coach how long do you think he should stay in Miami?

His first season hasn't even started yet and we get this.

:roflmao: :shakeno: :shakeno: :shakeno:

How many times will this question be asked? :D

I give Saban 3-4 years to turn us into a superbowl contender.

Back
Top Bottom