What in the world are the Buffalo Bills doing? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What in the world are the Buffalo Bills doing?

Nublar7

Retired FinHeaven Staff
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
First off let me reiterate that building a NFL team through free agency is not the way to go, ultimately you want to build the foundation of the team through the draft. But in doing so you still need to be somewhat active in free agency and take shots at proven veterans. I think what the Dolphins are doing right now is exactly how you want to build a team. They drafted a young franchise quarterback last year, have picked up some other quality players in the draft the last couple of years and set themselves up beautifully this season with cap space and draft picks. Miami had the cap room to bring in explosive veteran difference makers like Mike Wallace, Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler. They also have 9 total draft picks(will increase to 10 this week with compensatory picks being announced) and five picks in the top 3 rounds.

I understand cap strapped teams like the Cowboys and Jets not spending money since they don't really have any. But look at the Buffalo Bills, they only have 6 draft picks, but they are also sitting on roughly $20 million in cap space. They did sign a declining linebacker in Manny Lawson, but that was it. Even the cap strapped Jets have been more active. The Bills have holes all over that roster and have NOTHING at the quarterback position. Tarvaris Jackson is currently slated as their starting quarterback and he would be third string here in Miami behind Tannehill and Moore. Granted they are probably going to reach for a quarterback in the first round, but they kind of have to since they don't have anything else to work with. Talk about a bad year to have to try and draft a quarterback.

They don't have a lot of draft picks, so you would think they would have to substitute that with some activity in free agency. They have the cap space, why is Ralph Wilson and Buddy Nix sitting on it? Seems things in Buffalo haven't changed a bit and there is a reason why they haven't made the playoffs this Millennium. That embarrassing phone tap last week involving Nix doesn't help the perception of how clueless that organization is. The Jets will be bad in 2013 and likely challenge for the first overall pick in 2014, though it wouldn't surprise me if Buffalo enters that mix also. What a mess.

It would be nice if the Dolpjins could sweep them both this year

I am surprised they didn't move on Brandon Gibson or bring in Garrard for a look. If they plan on rolling with Tavaris Jackson and drafting a rookie QB, they are in for several more years of mediocrity.

I am surprised they didn't move on Brandon Gibson or bring in Garrard for a look. If they plan on rolling with Tavaris Jackson and drafting a rookie QB, they are in for several more years of mediocrity.

The thing is Gibson actually wanted to play for the Bills. Him and Stevie Johnson are very good friends and he expressed interest in teaming up with him. The Bills never picked up the phone. He likely would have been a starter opposite Johnson in Buffalo, instead he is in the backend of a four man rotation in Miami. Big score for the Dolphins, but the Bills blew that situation.

I'm a little surprised that they let Fitzpatrick go. Yeah, he's not great, but I would have been willing to bite the bullet to keep him for another year because this class of QBs isn't that great.

Bills probably learned their lesson last year about over spending in FA. It's same lesson Jets have already learned and Dolphins soon will.

Bills probably learned their lesson last year about over spending in FA. It's same lesson Jets have already learned and Dolphins soon will.

uh nope. the bills and jest problem is they gave two unproven qb's a huge contract. if sanchez wasnt making elite qb money, you guys would be fine. the dolphins have tannehill on the cheap which will go a long way in the next couple of years in keeping our cap down. we only overspent on wallace, IMO. the ellerbe and wheeler signings just replace what dansby and burnett were making. resigning long would of potentially put us in a bad cap situation, but now we can get a cheap replacement at right tackle and sign verteran cb and we'll be all set.

It's going to be hard for Buffalo to land any marquee FAs until they get a QB in place. I can't remember where, but I read something that said Buffalo was interested in Greg Jennings and he flat out told them no. It could be that they are trying to sign some players but not many are willing to play there. At least the Jets have Rex Ryan, who as much as I can't stand the guy, seems to be someone players love to play for. Buffalo better hit on a QB this draft, otherwise they will just be spinning their tires in the mud...

It's going to be hard for Buffalo to land any marquee FAs until they get a QB in place. I can't remember where, but I read something that said Buffalo was interested in Greg Jennings and he flat out told them no. It could be that they are trying to sign some players but not many are willing to play there. At least the Jets have Rex Ryan, who as much as I can't stand the guy, seems to be someone players love to play for. Buffalo better hit on a QB this draft, otherwise they will just be spinning their tires in the mud...

i think the nfl players respect for rex ryan has diminished alot of the past two years. multiple times opposing players have gotten into verbal altercations with ryan on and off the field. 4 years ago he was the coach everyone wanted to play for. not to mention the locker room issues hes had. why would you want to play for a team if you know there is beef in the locker room. now he is just a lame duck who talks a big game but cant back it up.

You may want to review the Dolphins cap situation in 2013-15 before making a generalization like this. The Jets situation is completely different the what the Phins just did. Aside from ridiculously high contracts to numerous players, the Jets restructured and pushed them back into 2013. The Jets took a win now at all costs and are paying for it now.

You may want to review the Dolphins cap situation in 2013-15 before making a generalization like this. The Jets situation is completely different the what the Phins just did. Aside from ridiculously high contracts to numerous players, the Jets restructured and pushed them back into 2013. The Jets took a win now at all costs and are paying for it now.

its tough to reason with jest fans. they dont understand basic math.

i think the nfl players respect for rex ryan has diminished alot of the past two years. multiple times opposing players have gotten into verbal altercations with ryan on and off the field. 4 years ago he was the coach everyone wanted to play for. not to mention the locker room issues hes had. why would you want to play for a team if you know there is beef in the locker room. now he is just a lame duck who talks a big game but cant back it up.

Agreed. I also think Rex is being hung out to dry this season. He is being left with a **** roster, and the prospect of win-or-be-fired. It makes sense. Let Rex finish out the lame duck season with the laughable roster they are left with, then in 2014 when they have cap space, bring in a new coach to start over. It isn't very fair to Rex, but classy has never been a word used to describe the Jets' front office. Rex deserves it anyways. If you act like a douchebag, you get treated like one...

2e0pjki-1.jpg

Agreed. I also think Rex is being hung out to dry this season. He is being left with a **** roster, and the prospect of win-or-be-fired. It makes sense. Let Rex finish out the lame duck season with the laughable roster they are left with, then in 2014 when they have cap space, bring in a new coach to start over. It isn't very fair to Rex, but classy has never been a word used to describe the Jets' front office. Rex deserves it anyways. If you act like a douchebag, you get treated like one...

This is one of the most absurd arguments. Until last year, Dolphins had a tough time bringing in any big name FAs or even coaches. All of a sudden, they signed truck load of players this year to some big contracts. Are you telling me that players are now willing to play for Dolphins and a GM that will insult you with questions like "is your mother a whore/hooker"?
Jets were a hot team coming off its second consecutive AFC Championship game at the start of 2011. They could not persuade Namdi to join them when Namdi was publicly wanting to play for rex and with Revis. He signed with Eagles.

Moral of the story? Money talks. You pay enough and players/coaches WILL play/coach for you. Jets have about $8mil in cap space and can generate another $15 mil via restructures. With a potential $23mil cap space, they could have signed all the players Dolphins did if they chose to. But they are playing it safe since they have some major personnel decisions next year (Sanchez, Holmes, Revis, Cromartie,

This is one of the most absurd arguments. Until last year, Dolphins had a tough time bringing in any big name FAs or even coaches. All of a sudden, they signed truck load of players this year to some big contracts. Are you telling me that players are now willing to play for Dolphins and a GM that will insult you with questions like "is your mother a whore/hooker"?
Jets were a hot team coming off its second consecutive AFC Championship game at the start of 2011. They could not persuade Namdi to join them when Namdi was publicly wanting to play for rex and with Revis. He signed with Eagles.

Moral of the story? Money talks. You pay enough and players/coaches WILL play/coach for you. Jets have about $8mil in cap space and can generate another $15 mil via restructures. With a potential $23mil cap space, they could have signed all the players Dolphins did if they chose to. But they are playing it safe since they have some major personnel decisions next year (Sanchez, Holmes, Revis, Cromartie,

are you really comaring a GM and a head coach? talk about apples and oranges. the GM has little effect on a player once hes signed. the jeff ireland "whore" comment had little effect on FA or coach signings. our problem was we stunk and didnt have a qb.

Back
Top Bottom