What is so bad about this draft??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What is so bad about this draft???

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
The biggest problem? We passed up on two WR's that quite possibly could have started this year, and who had fallen WAY below where they were expected to be picked(anyone remember the LAST reciever we picked that fit that bill? Mr Chambers anyone?), so we could pick a player who will play Special teams at best, and probably won't even be able to provide decent back-up this year at LB. That's what's wrong with this draft.

I imagine Boldin is one of those receivers...who is the other one?...Washington?...Calico? I don't think either of them would be ready to play much this year--Washington's injury will keep him out most of the summer and Calico needs much polish to his game. I think DW hinted that their decision at #49 was between Boldin and Moore. While the possibility of one of these 3 WRs (or one of a host of others drafted after pick #49) contributing some later in the year is a possibility, the likelihood of any of them starting would have been slim at best. In fact, cases are rare that rookie WRs contribute much at all other than an occasional TD or isolated "big game." Chambers was an exception, and there are other examples of exceptions, too. However, most 2nd round WRs (even those who slip into the 2nd round) do not rise above #3 or #4 on their team's depth chart in their rookie seasons. If we are truly concerned about the WR corps this year, we should sign a decent veteran FA WR, either Robinson or Gadsden now or some June 1 casualty in early June.

I, too, would have liked to have selected a solid WR prospect with pick #49. However, if you are basing this on contributions in 2003, I think that a solid back-up LB who can be a STs stud has a much greater chance to contribute throughout the season than any of the WRs who were available when we selected.

My reasoning for wanting a WR at #49 is that it will take a year or two for any rookie WR to make solid contributions in our offense (not unlike rookie OTs). Therefore, we should have spent a high draft pick on an OT (which we did) and a WR (which we didn't). That would leave us more prepared for 2004 and give us the back-ups we need for 2003. Since rookie LBs can contribute much more than rookie WRs or OTs, I think we could have waited a year to use a high draft pick on a top-flight LB (especially since this was a weak LB draft), and selected a couple of decent back-up LBs later in this draft who could play STs this year.

Given the needs of our team for 2003, though, I think the CS played the draft as well as they possibly could.

Actually my ratioanale for picking a WR instead of an LB is the fact that OUR Wide Reciever corp presnts an ideal opportunity for a talented WR to come in and contribute right away. LB however is a position which needs more time to develop than almost ANY other position. Right now we have ONE established starter at WR. The #2 and #3 slots are wide open, which tells me that a Bolden or a Calico could have made a solid impact.

Norv system does not require great WR receivers, the system makes great WR receivers. Trust we have the WR we need..We were avg. 27.1 points per game with out WR..I think we all need stop looking for reasons why we failed last year in move on..

The 2nd hardest position to draft is WR. If you look over the years it's second only to QB's. Rarely does a WR come in and make an immediate impact and more often than any other but QB do these guys bust big time.

David Terrell is a guy I'd have taken over Chambers in a second and he's done next to nothing in two years. I'm not saying he won't but he hasn't yet and that's a team that needs WR's alot with all their injuries for them.

You get WR late, you can also get ST players late as well. My thinking is the FO thinks Moore is more than a ST guy and fits our team. They saw more potential for a WR to help late, than for finding a LB late to help.

We'll find it easier to find a good WR after June 1 than a LB who can play as well. JMO

It doesn't matter to me where we get them from, we need WRs who can consistently get open, catch, and hold onto the ball, and probably most importantly, stay healthy an entire season. We haven't had a WR that fits that bill in quite some time.

Originally posted by fairbanksb

That's right, we sure do screw up sometimes. I don't know what those people in the FO think about. After all, according to SI last year, Seth McKinney was a sixth round pick and McMichael was a seventh round pick. Why in the world did those idiots in the front office pick them so early?

Seth McKinney | C | Texas A&M | Big Twelve Conference
Selected by Miami Dolphins in round 3, pick 25 (90 overall)
Height Weight 40 Grade
6'3½ 300 4.99 3.52
Younger brother of former A&M guard Steve McKinney, now with the Indianapolis Colts. Four-year starter that was an All-Conference selection as a senior. Played in every game he's dressed for at A&M.
Tough, heady lineman with a great feel for the position. Quick off the snap, gets his hands into opponents and plays with forward lean. Stays square, keeps his feet moving in pass protection and works hard. Good intelligence, wherewithal on the field and looks for someone to hit or helps out line-mates. Effectively uses his blocking angles, body positioning and displays the ability to block down on opponents. Not big or dominant in the middle, lacks the strong base and gets pushed back into the pocket. Not light on his feet, plays back on his heels and though and rarely finishes his blocks. Like his older brother undersized but does not show the ability to block on the move or play in space which will severely downgrade him. Late Sixth Round.

Randy McMichael | TE | Georgia | Southeastern Conference
Selected by Miami Dolphins in round 4, pick 16 (114 overall)
Height Weight 40 Grade
6'3 247 4.86 3.53
Fifth-year collegian that decided not to take advantage of an additional year of eligibility already awarded to him by the NCAA. First team All-Conference selection last year when he caught 24/281/11.7/1. Totals the preceding two-years were 32/475/14.8/1 and 34/457/13.4/3 as a red- shirt junior and sophomore, respectively. Played with the starting lineup the past three seasons after a thumb and knee injury forced him onto the sidelines his initial two-years in the program.
Athletic, pass-catching tight end effective when focused on the field. Fluid, adjusts to the errant throw and extends, displaying the ability to pull the pass out of the air. Plays faster than his 40 time, gets into the defensive secondary and makes the long reception. Moves well laterally, catches the pass in stride and also has the ability to make the difficult reception. Blocks with forward lean, displays adequate footwork in pass protection and effectively uses his hands. Solid blocker when he applies himself. Gets lazy with his fundamentals, lets the ball get inside his body and too often clutches the pass against his frame instead of snaring it out of the air with his hands. Misses blocking assignments, not always cognizant of where he is on the field and must use the sidelines better. Seemingly gives half-hearted efforts as a blocker and does not play with a sense of urgency. Worked out poorly at the combine. Flashed ability throughout college but never took his game to the next level. Must dedicate himself at the next level or will bounce around and eventually be looking for a new line of work. Early Seventh Round.

Last year, no one at this board thought either of those picks were reaches. Almost every source had us taking McKinney before the draft in the third, and many of us thought it would happen, and it did. McMichael also was not ever going to be an early seventh rounder. We were linked with him way before the draft, and the Dolphins were impressed by his speed. I don't think anyone here thought McKinney or McMichael were bad picks when they happened, but many questioned the pick of Eddie Moore, because no one anticipated or expected it, and because everyone was saying that we reached.

I'll admit at first i hated our draft, but after some research and CK's article i am starting to see why Eddie was picked and i will say that i think we actually came out of the draft in pretty good shape, now if we can only get Griese and Knight...

2004 Champs

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
The biggest problem? We passed up on two WR's that quite possibly could have started this year, and who had fallen WAY below where they were expected to be picked(anyone remember the LAST reciever we picked that fit that bill? Mr Chambers anyone?), so we could pick a player who will play Special teams at best, and probably won't even be able to provide decent back-up this year at LB. That's what's wrong with this draft.

You said possibly, I think that explains everything 1227. There guess is more educated than anything any of us could write about on a Dolphins MBoard.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom