what is the deepest field in the MLB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

what is the deepest field in the MLB?

Doktor Ivel said:
????
and what field do you think is the hardest to hit homeruns out of?

I'm not sure which park is the biggest, my guess would be McAFee Stadium in Oakland (A's), Comerica Park in Detriot (Tigers park) or Petco Park in San Diego.

As for hardest to hit home runs in (not in any order):

Dolphin Stadium (Marlins)
Shea Stadium (Mets)
Dodger Stadium (Dodgers)
Comerica Park (Tigers)
Safeco Field (Seattle)
Petco Park (Padres)
McAFee Stadium (A's)
Washington Nationals' park

I might be missing a few though.

PHINATIC13 said:
Isn't Fenway like 440 in center? or am I spacing?

The deepest part of Fenway is 420 in center field.

Of course the all time deepest center field would be the Polo Grounds where the New York Giants played. I think it was at least 480 maybe 500 feet dead CF.

Doktor Ivel said:
what is the easiest to hit out of?

Coors Field in Colorado I'd say due to the small field and with the thin air the ball travels very easy and very far.

RFK Stadium in DC is the consistently-largest field in baseball when you're talking left to right. It yielded the fewest homers this season; Dolphins Stadium was second, thanks in part to its very large Teal Towers that stretch from about 10 to the right of the left field foul pole to just left of dead center, where it is 434. Dead center is actually a little more shallow, at 404.

Comerica used to be the hardest, but they moved the fences in about 10-20 feet after players complained. Petco in San Diego is also very tough.

It is a misnomer that Coors Field is an easy homer park. It is a great offensive park because of all of the runs scored, but that is largely because they made the power alleys deep to prevent homers...well, deep alleys mean huge gaps, which in time turn singles to doubles and doubles to triples.

Turner Field in Atlanta and McAfee Coliseum in Oakland are the hardest to score runs in, according to http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

RWhitney014 said:
RFK Stadium in DC is the consistently-largest field in baseball when you're talking left to right. It yielded the fewest homers this season; Dolphins Stadium was second, thanks in part to its very large Teal Towers that stretch from about 10 to the right of the left field foul pole to just left of dead center, where it is 434. Dead center is actually a little more shallow, at 404.

Comerica used to be the hardest, but they moved the fences in about 10-20 feet after players complained. Petco in San Diego is also very tough.

It is a misnomer that Coors Field is an easy homer park. It is a great offensive park because of all of the runs scored, but that is largely because they made the power alleys deep to prevent homers...well, deep alleys mean huge gaps, which in time turn singles to doubles and doubles to triples.

Turner Field in Atlanta and McAfee Coliseum in Oakland are the hardest to score runs in, according to http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Yeah exactly what he said.... :lol:

I used to think it was the Detroit ballpark. But then i saw Bobby Abreu go yard 41 times during the derby, and of course the other players hit also. Then again hitting 75 mph fast balls from 50 year old men might not classify as real "hitting".

Tony Gwynn said that PETCO park in San Diego had the most outfield room....I don't know if he knows this for fact, but I assume he would know what he is talking about...I think he did not did not mean the depest centerfield but the most overall acreage in the outfield. Coors Field here in Colorado also has a lot of space but despite the thin air, there were about 5-6 other parks that gave up more homers than Coors. I guess it depends what you mean by deepest field???

Washington has the largest park I believe

Back
Top Bottom