What KC fans think about the Surtain trade! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What KC fans think about the Surtain trade!

this looks to be an even trade. we freed up major cap space and got a 2nd round pick. KC got the shut down corner for relative mkt value and moved up a few slots with their 5th round pick.

net net - i'd rather have the monster pass-rush w/an avg corner vs overpaying a shut-down corner and avg pass rush. NE didn't miss a beat when Ty Law went down (i.e. Eugene Wilson). Also look at the $$ Denver paid Champ Bailey last yr. He was nothing great. Good move Nick.

What do you think of trading the 2nd rounder :booty: for Edgerrin James and then we take Braylon Edwards. All of a sudden we are looking like an offensive powerhouse!

rainmaker1313 said:
What do you think of trading the 2nd rounder :booty: for Edgerrin James and then we take Braylon Edwards. All of a sudden we are looking like an offensive powerhouse!
no way! huge cap hit.

i still think we got robbed, 2nd rounder would have been ok but i don´t get why we swapped the 5th rounders, they should have given us their 5th rounder too

Al13 said:
i still think we got robbed, 2nd rounder would have been ok but i don´t get why we swapped the 5th rounders, they should have given us their 5th rounder too

cant be to greedy, i think if it came down to June cuts Pat was going to be one of them... better a 2nd then nothing.

dolphingator said:
I know I'm gonna get royally flamed for this, but I feel like going to their boards and thanking them!

We get: $ 8 Million in cap space and a 2nd round pick
They get: $ 20 Million worth of knee problems and Defensive Holding calls for the next 4 years (until he has to retire).

I think we made out like bandits!

I really wish I could find whoever put this "Surtain has knee problems" thing in people's minds. The guy missed 4 games over 7 years and all of a sudden he has knee problems. Good point about the defensive holding, though. He had to have been flagged at least three times last year. Oh wait, that's next to nothing.

dolphingator said:
I know I'm gonna get royally flamed for this, but I feel like going to their boards and thanking them!

They get: $ 20 Million worth of knee problems and Defensive Holding calls for the next 4 years (until he has to retire).

I am not flaming you at all! I 100% agree with this point, Pat Surtain's knee is fragile at best and has been acting up more often in recent years. It is degenerative and there is not a solution. As for holding calls, well that was a product of the style of play.

Now before anyone goes nuts, I still think Pat was a solid corner but not worth the cost and risk. I think he'll be done at 30 (less than 2 years for now).

Al13 said:

I sort of agree, and mostly because the Raiders got a 2nd, 3rd, and a player for a CB that is no where near the level that Surtain is on.

He is not the CB that Surtain is, but he is 23 and he is sooooo much cheaper than surtain, so it is easier to trade for him

dolphingator said:

Actually only about 5.5 million in cap space but that works too

LtDan662002 said:
Actually only about 5.5 million in cap space but that works too

He is right it was $8.6 mil in cap space. $5. something was his salary this year.

This is a good deal for both sides; each team got what they needed, they are trying to make a SB run and we are trying to rebuild the mess that wannstupid left behind.

You can't really compare the Buchanon trade with this one; the size of Surtain's contract was the difference.

I think both sides got what they wanted and needed. We got the $$ we needed and wanted and Saban was able to wiggle us out of cap hell in one offseason and we got a sorely needed 2nd round pick rather than watching him walk next year for nothing in return. Mark my words i'm calling it now, i've seen enough of Will Poole to tell you, he's going to be special, give him the first half of this season, no less, and you'll be saying Patrick who? Have said that, I loved Pat and wish him the best with KC!

KB21 said:
They should be jumping for joy. They got Surtain for an incredible bargain.

An incredible bargain! I did not want to see him go!
:fire:

Back
Top Bottom