What Position Battles are you Most Look Forward to? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Position Battles are you Most Look Forward to?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Not going to say that Miami is loaded, but it sure looks a lot better after free agency and the draft with virtually every unit dramatically improved. With that in mind, what position battles are you most looking forward to? Here are a few to keep an eye on.

Quarterback
Tua vs. Fitzpatrick -- only seems like a matter of time for Tua, but maybe the coaching staff treats it as a red-shirt season.

Right Tackle
Hunt vs. Davis -- the assumption is the loser kicks inside to RG.

Left Tackle
Jackson vs. Davenport -- Personally, I think Davenport is better suited to guard. By all accounts, Jackson is a little raw but I'd be surprised if he didn't start.

Starting Safeties
Rowe and who? Is it third rounder Jones? Anyone else?

Defensive Tackle
Could see Davis pushing Godchaulk to start. Then again, it's probably more of a rotation position.

Others?

Battles for the starting spot on the defense mean so much less than on the offensive side.

Defenses rotate... a lot.

Offenses, especially on the line and at QB... just don't.

So the battle I am MOST interested in is at Right Tackle. I'm positive that Jackson, Flowers, Karras comprise the left side of our line, but that RT spot is key, because our RG (ultimately Kindley I would think) doesn't have to start anytime soon and the RG spot can float for awhile.... Davis, Hunt, Kindley... whoever...

But that RT spot keys what happens at RG.

If Hunt comes in and dominates... everything we do this year will get easier. Our line will settle in and get the chance to gel together, but if he can't immediately dislodge Davis, our line will remain in flux all year, and this is NOT what you want when you have a rookie QB in the wings.

Hunt is the key to the Dolphins season.

Mark it.

QB. Not just Tua also Rosen. Would like to see anyone but Fitzpatrick under center. I wonder if any of them have a legit shot to start wk 1 but I doubt it being that they brought in Fitzpatricks coordinator of choice

Right Guard

Calhoun, Hunt, Davis, Kindley...somebody has to claim that spot and do it with authority.

I'm pulling for Hunt....

I look forward to something good happening in position battles on oline. We lack talent badly at that position so hopefully something shakes out.
I expect more out of Kindley and Jackson year one due to Hunt having to get used to better competition.
kind of wished we passed on flowers for that type of money seems an absurd amount based on his career

For me it would be:
1. McCain/Jones
2. Needham/Igbinoghene
3. Davis/Hunt or Davis/Kindley (right side in general)

I think Davis is pretty much a lock to start as a 3-4 end. Where he lands in the rotation for other formations is up for grabs. Jackson is most likely going to beat out Davenport as well.

Not going to say that Miami is loaded, but it sure looks a lot better after free agency and the draft with virtually every unit dramatically improved. With that in mind, what position battles are you most looking forward to? Here are a few to keep an eye on.

Quarterback
Tua vs. Fitzpatrick -- only seems like a matter of time for Tua, but maybe the coaching staff treats it as a red-shirt season.

Right Tackle

Left Tackle
Jackson vs. Davenport -- Personally, I think Davenport is better suited to guard. By all accounts, Jackson is a little raw but I'd be surprised if he didn't start.

Starting Safeties

Defensive Tackle
Could see Davis pushing Godchaulk to start. Then again, it's probably more of a rotation position.

Others?
I'm not very excited about most of these battles honestly brother.

QB
Fundamentally, I think our OL is horrible and I am not in favor of subjecting Tua to that as a rookie. Look, sitting for a year was the right move for Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, just to name a couple. Dan Marino sat for a few games. Tua is NOT healthy, he is still square in the hip rehab. We all remember how long it took Mike Pouncey to recover from a hip injury, and frankly, he never was the same person. Now that's an OL physical position, but Pouncey probably came back too soon. Tua is barely 6 feet tall and not all that strong. He is proven to be NOT durable. Let the kid heal, learn, and take the Mahomes road in year 1. So I'm not excited about a QB competition, because I fear we will ruin our top prospect just like we did rushing Jake Long back too early, or Mike Pouncey ... or the other defunct Dolphins we rushed back too soon. Why risk it? We are not a playoff team in 2020, and we're not going to be a Super Bowl team in 2021 without a healthy Tua.

RT
This is a trickier question, because it tips our hand on the QB decision. My thought a year ago was that one reason we were playing Jesse Davis at LT, was that we were hoping/expecting to draft Tua #1 overall, and since he is left-handed, LT would not be Tua's blindside. I still see that as the plan. Davis works as a front side tackle. But I would be leery playing him on the backside permanently. Fitzmagic ran for his life last year, and this OL isn't much better. If we don't add a veteran OT, then Jesse Davis is our best tackle. Fitzmagic will be happy to have him at LT and he'll be settled when Tua plays in 2021. But if we move Davis to RT, or bring in a veteran RT via trade, that will signal we're playing Tua as a rookie ... and that scares me. If we go with Fitz, then I don't see a capable starting RT on our roster.

LT
Same thing as RT really. Jackson has the tools but is very young and extremely raw. Not physically ready for the NFL as he is still semi-recovering from the bone-marrow transplant, and he'll struggle at OT in 2020. Hunt isn't a good pass protector, and I see him moving to OG. Really, this team only has Jesse Davis at OT. If we move Ereck Flowers out to OT because of our OL drafting for 2021, then I'll call that a failure by the front office, because we know Flowers is horrible at OT. Paying him starter money to flounder there is just bad planning and a waste of cap space.

SS/FS
Again, here I'm not excited. Rowe is a stopgap, and McCain is out of position. I'm hoping and expecting the rookie Brandon Jordan to start. But, I see him as just another guy. We may need 2 new safeties in the 2021 draft. This group does not excite me. Cornerbacks, yes ... safeties ... no.

DT
Well this will be interesting. I think Strowbridge has potential as a rotational guy, and we may find someone like Godchaux in Strowbridge, but I don't see a hidden gem. I was underwhelmed by Chistian Wilkins as a rookie, and the thing I'm most excited to see is how Wilkins develops really. I affirmatively disliked the Raekwon Davis selection. He's just another guy.

The only two position groups I'm even interested in seeing are OG and DE.

RG/LG
Which side the guards play on and whether Hunt will win a position are interesting asks. Ideally we start Flowers at one guard and Karras at center. So, the other guard will be a big competition between Soloman Kindley (whom I like), Michael Deiter (whom I also like but had a rough rookie season), and Hunt (whom I dislike because of his poor pass protection). When you draft a guard that high, you expect him to start and star ... so the pressure is on Hunt. They may try him at OT, but I don't see that experiment working.

Position battles are usually fun to watch in preseason. But, we may not have much of a pre-season, and the rookies will be at a disadvantage because of the shifted or shortened schedule.

QB
Fundamentally, I think our OL is horrible and I am not in favor of subjecting Tua to that as a rookie. Look, sitting for a year was the right move for Pat Mahomes and Lamar Jackson, just to name a couple. Dan Marino sat for a few games. Tua is NOT healthy, he is still square in the hip rehab. We all remember how long it took Mike Pouncey to recover from a hip injury, and frankly, he never was the same person. Now that's an OL physical position, but Pouncey probably came back too soon. Tua is barely 6 feet tall and not all that strong. He is proven to be NOT durable. Let the kid heal, learn, and take the Mahomes road in year 1. So I'm not excited about a QB competition, because I fear we will ruin our top prospect just like we did rushing Jake Long back too early, or Mike Pouncey ... or the other defunct Dolphins we rushed back too soon. Why risk it? We are not a playoff team in 2020, and we're not going to be a Super Bowl team in 2021 without a healthy Tua.

RT
This is a trickier question, because it tips our hand on the QB decision. My thought a year ago was that one reason we were playing Jesse Davis at LT, was that we were hoping/expecting to draft Tua #1 overall, and since he is left-handed, LT would not be Tua's blindside. I still see that as the plan. Davis works as a front side tackle. But I would be leery playing him on the backside permanently. Fitzmagic ran for his life last year, and this OL isn't much better. If we don't add a veteran OT, then Jesse Davis is our best tackle. Fitzmagic will be happy to have him at LT and he'll be settled when Tua plays in 2021. But if we move Davis to RT, or bring in a veteran RT via trade, that will signal we're playing Tua as a rookie ... and that scares me. If we go with Fitz, then I don't see a capable starting RT on our roster.

LT
Same thing as RT really. Jackson has the tools but is very young and extremely raw. Not physically ready for the NFL as he is still semi-recovering from the bone-marrow transplant, and he'll struggle at OT in 2020. Hunt isn't a good pass protector, and I see him moving to OG. Really, this team only has Jesse Davis at OT. If we move Ereck Flowers out to OT because of our OL drafting for 2021, then I'll call that a failure by the front office, because we know Flowers is horrible at OT. Paying him starter money to flounder there is just bad planning and a waste of cap space.

SS/FS
Again, here I'm not excited. Rowe is a stopgap, and McCain is out of position. I'm hoping and expecting the rookie Brandon Jordan to start. But, I see him as just another guy. We may need 2 new safeties in the 2021 draft. This group does not excite me. Cornerbacks, yes ... safeties ... no.

DT
Well this will be interesting. I think Strowbridge has potential as a rotational guy, and we may find someone like Godchaux in Strowbridge, but I don't see a hidden gem. I was underwhelmed by Chistian Wilkins as a rookie, and the thing I'm most excited to see is how Wilkins develops really. I affirmatively disliked the Raekwon Davis selection. He's just another guy.

RG/LG
Which side the guards play on and whether Hunt will win a position are interesting asks. Ideally we start Flowers at one guard and Karras at center. So, the other guard will be a big competition between Soloman Kindley (whom I like), Michael Deiter (whom I also like but had a rough rookie season), and Hunt (whom I dislike because of his poor pass protection). When you draft a guard that high, you expect him to start and star ... so the pressure is on Hunt. They may try him at OT, but I don't see that experiment working.

Position battles are usually fun to watch in preseason. But, we may not have much of a pre-season, and the rookies will be at a disadvantage because of the shifted or shortened schedule.
Lamar Jackson played plenty of games his rookie yr. including playoffs If I’m not mistaken. Mahomes played wk 17
As for Pouncey idk he was ever the same or not after the injury but he played 16 games and made the pro bowl with the chargers

Last edited:
I'm excited to see what happens on the right side of our line. I see the left side as being pretty much set with Jackson and Flowers with Karas at center (unless Dieter can compete at C?).
Either way, I'm hoping that our other two OL rookies can simply come in, dominate in camp and anchor the right side of our line for the next ten years... But the likelihood of that is low. Our RG and RT positions will most likely be some combination of Davis and Hunt, but again - it'd be nice to see Kindley win RG and Hunt win RT outright.
Any way you slice it, this line looks much, much better and deeper than it did last year - and with a lot more potential for a bright future, obviously.

The only one that changes our fate potentially.

qb

in that regard no different than the 2020 draft

Quarterback

Right Tackle

Left Tackle

Starting Safeties

Defensive Tackle

Others?
I’m definitely looking forward to the RT competition between Hunt and Davis.
Also the RG position between Kindley Hunt and Davis.
I think the left side of the line is set going in.

The Secondary competition will be fun.
Does Noah start in traditional 4 DB set and moves Jones to FS? (Howard/ Noah/ Rowe/ Jones)

Does Jones beat out Rowe or McCain?
Where does Needham Fit?

Right Guard

Calhoun, Hunt, Davis, Kindley...somebody has to claim that spot and do it with authority.

I'm pulling for Hunt....
I'm really hoping Hunt can nail down that RT positions. Otherwise, I think his draft position was too high. Of course, if he turns into a dominant RG, I wouldn't complain!:)

I look forward to something good happening in position battles on oline. We lack talent badly at that position so hopefully something shakes out.
I expect more out of Kindley and Jackson year one due to Hunt having to get used to better competition.
kind of wished we passed on flowers for that type of money seems an absurd amount based on his career
That did seem like a lot of money for Flowers. But, Miami was in a pretty unique situation and I think the team wanted to nail down a couple of spots on the line before the draft.

For me it would be:
1. McCain/Jones
2. Needham/Igbinoghene
3. Davis/Hunt or Davis/Kindley (right side in general)

I think Davis is pretty much a lock to start as a 3-4 end. Where he lands in the rotation for other formations is up for grabs. Jackson is most likely going to beat out Davenport as well.
I could see Davenport in the mix at RG as well. Agree on Davis. His versatility is definitely a plus on the defensive line. I hope that Jones is good enough to beat our McCain. Honestly, was hoping for one of the top safeties McKinney, Winfield, Delpit. But I get the emphasis on the offensive line.

QB

RT

LT

SS/FS

DT

RG/LG

Sounds like you weren't a big fan of this draft, no?

I'm okay with Tua sitting, but if the season starts a month or so later due to the virus, he may see action at some point as a rookie. I think a lot depends on the offensive line, though. i wouldn't throw him behind this unit if it is struggling.

I sure hope Hunt can play RT, otherwise I agree with you that was too high of a pick for a guard. That was one pick I was a little disappointed in. Not that I don't think he can at least be a mauler in the run game, but because there were some really good safeties and running backs still available at that spot. I believe Winfield and Delpit were still there. I liked both of them. Plus, Dobbins at running back, or even Taylor. I believe Miami took Hunt with the thought of him playing RT.

Back
Top Bottom