What teams will make an offer on Wally? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What teams will make an offer on Wally?

What would screw us the most would be Philly.
So you know its going to be Philly.

Originally posted by Danny

That's the point, is not that we're trying to "get rid of him"..is that he may leave anyway. I'm not saying that I want a DE in the 1st round. I'm saying that knowing our team, they might take a DE in the 1st round. I'm all for us drafting a WR and an o-lineman in the 1st and then taking a DE in the 3rd round.

Ozzy rules!!

Ok, I see what you're saying now. :)

But I still think the front office is holding all the cards here. Wally said last night that he's frustrated that the team hasn't made him an offer. He also said that he doesn't expect to be back now because the team hasn't shown that they want to keep him. Obviously we'd love to keep him. But he represents a huge opportunity to upgrade glaring weaknesses on offense.

I think that the Dolphins are going to sacrifice him. They'll throw down the 1st and 3rd round tender and let him shop around for offers. I think that other teams will in turn see what the Dolphins are doing (hoping he signs elsewhere) and lower their bids accordingly, knowing that Miami does not intend to match.

I really don't think the Dolphins will make much of an attempt to keep Wally. And Wally will feel stung by it. But that's business. And he understands that. I think the Dolphins will not pass up the opportunity to bolster the offense in one quick swoop. They must win now to save their jobs. So they are acting accordingly.

Originally posted by Muck
I thougth NE had two 4th's instead of two 3rd's.

Anyway......Philly, Buffalo, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota are all teams off the top of my head that could use a standout DE like Wally.

I don't think Houston will grab him because, like Pittsburgh, they seem to like big DT types all across the line. I think they'll focus on the secondary to try and allow their blitzing LBs to get to the QB.

Hey Muck off subject, noticed on your sig pic that the left tackle just jumped before the snap (false start on Phili)...:D

Honestly, I don't think that makes much sense.

Why would we get rid of a budding superstar DE and use the pick we get for him on another DE?? One who won't be nearly as good as he is for at least a few years, but will still make big coin on a first round contract. If that's what we plan on doing, it makes more sense to just re-sign Wally.

IMO, the goal is to improve the offense. If you're going to sacrifice him, do it for the good of a major weakness.

Holy crap if they did that I really think somebody would go postal on them:lol:. They have to go all offense with the 2 firsts.

I think that the Chargers should jump all over the chance to get O-Gun. :lol:

I thougth NE had two 4th's instead of two 3rd's.

Anyway......Philly, Buffalo, Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, Minnesota are all teams off the top of my head that could use a standout DE like Wally.

I don't think Houston will grab him because, like Pittsburgh, they seem to like big DT types all across the line. I think they'll focus on the secondary to try and allow their blitzing LBs to get to the QB.

I truly do not believe that the Dolphins will let O Gunn sign with a team in the AFC East ...

If they have made the decision that they cannot afford to keep him, then I think they are already talking to teams about a trade ..

Marino1983

Bowens and Williams will do fine..

I say let Ogunleye walk...even it is Philly...imagine having two firsts and two thirds...ammunition to actually do something in a draft...

Imagine Larry Fitzgerald or Mike Williams or Roy Williams in a Dolphins jersey...or both Michael Clayton and Vernon Carey...

Ogunleye is a good player, maybe even very good...but he is going to get paid...and sometimes you just have to regroup...and take the picks. A first and a third is a heck of a bounty for a defensive end who plays across from Jason Taylor.

I know one Philly fan who is scared to death of spending all that money on Ogunleye and giving up the picks. He is dead set against it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by FinFan4Life814
yea....I never thought about Cincy making a run for O-gun, but it does kind od make sense. They dont have anyone opposite Justin Smith, and their secondary isnt great...which makes a great pass-rush that much more necessary. If we got their pick, which is probably middle of the round (they went 8-8, so its probably a pick in the mid teens), we could make a legit run at Shawn Andrews (i think thats his name), that giant OT from Arkansas. Combine him with maybe Mike Clayton and Feely (who i think can be a very good QB) and we have a seriously upgraded offense next yr.

I don't think they will use a first on DE, Mia has done a good jod drafting D-line in mid-round picks they may use a third on a d-line man to develop this would be a good move I think.

Originally posted by Danny
Once again guys, if Ogun goes we might take a DE in the 1st round with one of those picks depending on who's on the board at that time. We all seem to wanta wr and an o-lineman but they might take a DE.

Ozzy rules!!

That would defeat the whole purpose of letting O-Gun walk and completely ignore the potential talent the Fins have at DE waiting in the wings.

I don't see them spending a 1st on a DE in ANY scenario personally. It makes zero sense.

Re: Bowens and Williams will do fine..

Originally posted by RHoffman
I say let Ogunleye walk...even it is Philly...imagine having two firsts and two thirds...ammunition to actually do something in a draft...

Imagine Larry Fitzgerald or Mike Williams or Roy Williams in a Dolphins jersey...or both Michael Clayton and Vernon Carey...

Ogunleye is a good player, maybe even very good...but he is going to get paid...and sometimes you just have to regroup...and take the picks. A first and a third is a heck of a bounty for a defensive end who plays across from Jason Taylor.

I know one Philly fan who is scared to death of spending all that money on Ogunleye and giving up the picks. He is dead set against it.

I agree 100% Hoff...

In today's NFL you have to leverage areas with an abundance of talent on your team to improve areas of your team that are weak points. You can't have it all with the salary cap.

Point is that we will more than likely lose O- Gun next year anyway and get nada in return. Letting him go now and getting high draft picks in return is the smartest thing to do in today's NFL. In the days before FA it would be crazy but in today's system it's smart. It'll hurt the D some but it's still the smartest move to make.

Back
Top Bottom