What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami... | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami...

From what I gathered, there is new research that claims it's a 60/40 proposition... So. What I couldnt find is any sort of sample size or research details. But. Lets go with 60/40. If you go down with a ACL injury in november, attempt to be in the 60% crowd, go back out playing football in august the following year and rip the SAME ACL while doing so. What do you think is more plausible?
A) You were part of the 40% that didnt work out
B) Your ACL was completely healed and you happen to be the most unluckiest SOB to injure the same ****ing completely healed ACL in a span of 8 months

BTW, Adam Gase said word for word it was (A)

Just to answer both those posts
The problem is that they define "success" as not having another injury.
Its not that rehab allowed for the ligament to "heal" as much as rehab strengthened the muscles around the knee allowing for improved stability.
In some people that is enough

The torn ligament itself does not heal.
You guys are making the same mistake that I initially made when I was thinking about RT's knees.
RT is not a regular Joe but an elite cutting athlete who will continuously torque and stress his knee so recommendations made for the public in mind do not necessarily apply to him

Quick: If you get a crack in a glass, but you think it won’t spread...but you’re wrong and it does: Did the glass break twice?

Kudos to FinFanInBuffalo for that
OK, I can't let it go this time. I saw his analogy previously, and you liking it.

It's really a bad analogy for many reasons. You get a crack in the glass and you don't repair it, and it spreads? No, the glass broke once, but worsened. There's zero talk of repairing it. That's the difference between the glass analogy and Tannehill. You can drive with a crack in the glass. You can't play QB with a sprained knee (which is what they called it, a sprained knee, not ACL tear).

That's not what happened with Tannehill. He injured his leg. They thought they repaired it, via working out, and stem cell therapy. It then went again. Whether you think he had 2 injuries, or 1 injury - I'm not arguing that point right now as we all have differing opinions based on half the facts, but the analogy is just not a good one.

Its not that rehab allowed for the ligament to "heal" as much as rehab strengthened the muscles around the knee allowing for improved stability.

You guys are making the same mistake that I initially made when I was thinking about RT's knees.
RT is not a regular Joe but an elite cutting athlete who will continuously torque and stress his knee so recommendations made for the public in mind do not necessarily apply to him
I think we agree and we're just arguing just for the **** of it... My stance is the same as Adam Gase... 1 injury

I think we agree and we're just arguing just for the **** of it... My stance is the same as Adam Gase... 1 injury
Yeah my response should have really quote lurkings post who had the WebMD article suggesting Rehab can fix an acl year

How is it any different than the Dolphins starting slow only to pick up steam. The last 3 years the Redskins and Dolphins have 1 playoff appearance each and over that 3 year span are 24-23-1(Redskins) and 22-26(Dolphins). They have it worse?

They are passing on a QB in this QB-rich draft to go with Alex Smith. Defend that if you want, but every other NFC East team is laughing their faces off right now.

I’m not a native speaker, much less familiar with medical terms but wouldn’t a sprained knee essentially be a partially torn ACL? I think the glass analogy is a very good one.
I don't agree that it's a good analogy because in the glass analogy, absolutely nothing is done to fix the initial break. Nothing is done to it whatsoever. The glass at this point, you can drive your car perfectly fine with, it's not a problem, so there's no need to fix it.

Tannehill's injury, his sprain, or partial tear if you will, is not something that he could play with. As such, the recommended therapy was working out the joint, and some form of stem cell therapy: "Tannehill had a healing procedure done by Dr. James Andrews a few weeks following the injury, and he may head to Germany for a knee procedure called Regenokine, a form of platelet-rich plasma therapy made famous by Lakers star Kobe Bryant. Essentially, it takes a patient's blood, spins it to separate the platelets, then is re-injected into the knee."

So, something was done to "fix" the injury to the point that he could play again.

"It has just been reported, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald that Ryan Tannehill's knee has fully healed and he should be ready to go at the start of the 2017 NFL season, which is a little more than six months away.

Salguero also reports that Tannehill's knee "will not be any more susceptible to a future ACL tear in his left knee following his completed rehabilitation than if he'd had reconstructive surgery."

So, fully healed, completed rehabilitation. I highlight "reconstructive surgery" because - whether it was surgery, or another form of treatment, the team felt they had fixed Tannehill's knee.

That's why I say the analogy is not a good one. Something was done to fix Tannehill's knee. Something was not done to fix the glass.

OK, this is way off topic. Mods, I'm sorry. I'm pedantic. If I need to be banned for uber pedanticism (this may not actually be a word), then I completely and utterly understand.

Yeah my response should have really quote lurkings post who had the WebMD article suggesting Rehab can fix an acl year
I wasn't arguing the point with anyone, A certain poster said Google does a torn ACl heal with out surgery. So I did just out of curiosity, because I didn't now myself. That was the first article that came up in which Google provided. Then you chimed in, so I just provided you with a source that I found on Google. This isn't my argument.

Aren’t you an MD? Or am I thinking of another poster?

I’m not a native speaker, much less familiar with medical terms but wouldn’t a sprained knee essentially be a partially torn ACL? I think the glass analogy is a very good one.
Correct, a sprain is a degree of a tear.

The glass breaking analogy is just fine, i think FFIB said something about “filling” the crack in his original one which I think is being argued about now. Anyways.....

Sprain = tear

They are passing on a QB in this QB-rich draft to go with Alex Smith. Defend that if you want, but every other NFC East team is laughing their faces off right now.

I'm not defending them im saying that the Dolphins don't have it better than the Redskins. Also who's to say they are passing on a QB? Maybe they draft one and let him sit behind Smith for 2 years or more like Jimmy G or Aaron Rodgers.

I don't agree that it's a good analogy because in the glass analogy, absolutely nothing is done to fix the initial break. Nothing is done to it whatsoever. The glass at this point, you can drive your car perfectly fine with, it's not a problem, so there's no need to fix it.

Tannehill's injury, his sprain, or partial tear if you will, is not something that he could play with. As such, the recommended therapy was working out the joint, and some form of stem cell therapy: "Tannehill had a healing procedure done by Dr. James Andrews a few weeks following the injury, and he may head to Germany for a knee procedure called Regenokine, a form of platelet-rich plasma therapy made famous by Lakers star Kobe Bryant. Essentially, it takes a patient's blood, spins it to separate the platelets, then is re-injected into the knee."

So, something was done to "fix" the injury to the point that he could play again.

"It has just been reported, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald that Ryan Tannehill's knee has fully healed and he should be ready to go at the start of the 2017 NFL season, which is a little more than six months away.

Salguero also reports that Tannehill's knee "will not be any more susceptible to a future ACL tear in his left knee following his completed rehabilitation than if he'd had reconstructive surgery."

So, fully healed, completed rehabilitation. I highlight "reconstructive surgery" because - whether it was surgery, or another form of treatment, the team felt they had fixed Tannehill's knee.

That's why I say the analogy is not a good one. Something was done to fix Tannehill's knee. Something was not done to fix the glass.

OK, this is way off topic. Mods, I'm sorry. I'm pedantic. If I need to be banned for uber pedanticism (this may not actually be a word), then I completely and utterly understand.

Excellent post, thank you!

It's weird, it feels like the Redskins and Alex Smith both worsened their situations at the same time, that's hard to do.

Smith went from making $13.3M to $23.5M. That isn’t worse

Back
Top Bottom