What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami... | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What the Alex Smith Deal Means for Miami...

Sample size is now 4 for 4

Peyton Manning raised his passer rating 14 points the season Osweiler was drafted.

These guys need to be challenged to play at their best IMO.

Hugh? His 4th season was better than anything Tannehill has ever done.

And thanks to ISS for bring up Brees and furthering my point. Sample size is now 3 for 3
Brees went from 67 passer rating to over 100 when threatened with Rivers joining the team.

Brees' 4th season was AFTER they drafted Rivers. They drafted Rivers because they were convinced Brees had failed.

Brees also went from 104 to 89 the next year. What does that do to your theory?

Alex Smith to the Redskins is a pretty surprising move. And it's one that could affect the Dolphins. Now with Cousins set to become a free agent do we try to make a run at him? IMO it would be awesome to have him but of course pricey.

Even if we don't sign him I think this still helps us. If a qb needy team drafting ahead of us signs Cousins then that makes one available for us in the draft.

Thoughts?
Thoughts?!?

headshot.gif

Rivers drafted in 2004, Brees passer rating went up that year which is the crux of my theory. And no comment about Tannehill I see. Figured. Double standards.

I don't see why you can't understand. When a QB isn't challenged and has a free ride his play will tend to drop. When faced with the real possibility of being replaced they step up their play. It has happened 4 times recently. And it certainly did have an effect.

You laugh at Osweiler, But Peyton was coming off neck surgery and Broncos didn't even know if he could still play. The drafting of Osweiler gave Peyton a short runway to get his game back to top level. He responded.

Brees was crap. They drafted Rivers and all of sudden he became good with the fear that he was going to loose his job to Rivers.

Smith average, but pushed to the top of the league when facing loosing his gig.

Brady great but not able to dominate for 10 years, draft a replacement and he wins 2 more Super Bowls.

Laugh all you want. If you think you can't be replaced you will perform at a lesser level IMO. And there are 4 cases that support my theory.

I don't see why you can't understand. When a QB isn't challenged and has a free ride his play will tend to drop. When faced with the real possibility of being replaced they step up their play. It has happened 4 times recently. And it certainly did have an effect.

You laugh at Osweiler, But Peyton was coming off neck surgery and Broncos didn't even know if he could still play. The drafting of Osweiler gave Peyton a short runway to get his game back to top level. He responded.

Brees was crap. They drafted Rivers and all of sudden he became good with the fear that he was going to loose his job to Rivers.

Brady great but not able to dominate for 10 years, draft a replacement and he wins 2 more Super Bowls.

Laugh all you want. If you think you can't be replaced you will perform at a lesser level IMO. And there are 4 cases that support my theory.

Your theory is disproven in the following season by the same players. Brees, and Manning both dropped back down by a large number of points the very next season. The "challengers" that were pushing them were still there. How do you explain that?

Manning's best season was 2004. His backup was Jim Sorgi. Clearly that put the fear of God into Manning.....

Tom Brady's best season was 2007. Was it Matt Cassel or Matt Gutierrez that had Brady nervous and working harder....

LOL

Last edited:
Tannehill progressed each and every season he's been the starting QB with no one "pushing" him to excel other than his own desire to be great.

Now if Jordan Phillips was my QB, that theory makes sense.

Sample size is now 4 for 4

Peyton Manning raised his passer rating 14 points the season Osweiler was drafted.

These guys need to be challenged to play at their best IMO.
Ok, I’ll bite.

NFL Draft 2017
Bears draft Trubisky, their starter Mike Glennon sucks. The reason why he sucks? Because he is Mike Glennon.

Texans draft Watson. Their starter Tom Savage sucks. The reason why he sucks? Because he is Tom Savage.

Browns draft Kizer. Their starter John Doe sucks. The reason why he sucks? Because he is a Cleveland Browns QB.

Can you stop now, please?

Both QB's rating went up over 10 points when threatened. You can believe what you want. To me it made a difference.

Correlation vs. Causation. Look it up. Likely to be of value to you beyond our boards here....

To be clear, your position is that guys working in the most testosterone filled environment in the world (short of being in one of the special forces), playing the most sought after position in the game, risking their health in ways that are truly scary, with a ton of coaches playing mind games with you each and every day trying to find ways to push you even further, can get there lacking drive or an ability to self motivate?

Back
Top Bottom