What to do with the extra money/All this room, yet no news | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with the extra money/All this room, yet no news

I don't think we're too far away from the team we want...

...so I'd rather see it blown on a single impact signing. Having said that I don't know who's available that would be an upgrade right now.

Anotonio Freeman if he's still available and if we have enough juice would be an upgrade (good though our receiving corps is) and we would have even better depth at receiver.:cool:

(I strongly suspect that Wanny knows who he is after - or he wouldn't be restructuring Williams contract to make even more headroom),

I'm not sure there's really anyone out there worth spending the cash on at the moment. Unless there's a pressing need and some real talent I don't see the need for us to go out and blow the money on some FA who may or may not do anything for this team. Perhaps if a good LB comes rolling around on the waiver wire then something should be done, otherwise, the money can just sit there in case someone goes down in camp.

Definitely, 88. Part of that money will be held for potential injury replacements, but how much?

People people. Always with the WR talk. Has anyone noticed that the Dolphins have not yet signed the draft picks? That is the most important thing to do with ALL THIS 1.2M. The Phins have a very deep WR corp which is good at almost every position. There is no room for another wideout.

Now McKnight pissed me off last year also, but he was used incorrectly. Once he gets put into Norv's vertical downfield passing system, facing defenses that (hopefully) have to put 8 in the box consistently then you'll see why the Phins signed him. As for Gadsden and Ward how can you not like 2 solid posession receivers to complement the explosive speed we have w/ Chambers and McKnight?

If I hear anymore FA WR talk I'm gonna puke.

Darnay Scott would have been an upgrade over any WR other than Chambers. Period. He signed for the veteran's minimum. But thats really the only one out there that was worth signing most recently.

How's Cris Carter's contract with HBO lookin? We've GOT the money now...

Seriously according to the sources I read we have $1.2 million set aside for rookies already and that is NOT counted in the $2.4 million that we have underneath the salary cap after the DG cut and Jay Williams acquisition. Now after Jay Williams contract extension (which reportedly has a signing bonus of $1.4 million) we should have right up around $3 million of room and thats with our rookies already taken care of.

Yeah CK you're right the rookies have a pool set aside by the league and is essentially a cap within a cap.

We can't give more money to the rookies even if we have more money under the cap so fans shouldn't worry about whether to make cap room to sign rooks or not.

Not a whole lot out there now to sign except wait for an injury and see if someone good gets cut.

I think Wr depth may be an issue with Ward and OG always being hurt!!! If they are healthy we'd be set...

Now McKnight pissed me off last year also, but he was used incorrectly. Once he gets put into Norv's vertical downfield passing system, facing defenses that (hopefully) have to put 8 in the box consistently then you'll see why the Phins signed him. As for Gadsden and Ward how can you not like 2 solid posession receivers to complement the explosive speed we have w/ Chambers and McKnight?

If I hear anymore FA WR talk I'm gonna puke. [/B][/QUOTE]

Why does everyone think Mcknight had such a bad season? Because he dropped 2 passes that got picked? Or was it because he fumbled after getting hit so hard he was knoced out for a second? The 1st drop against NY was bad, but it happens. The 2nd was a great play just to get there, and if you watch the game he was attempting to dive for the ball but his foot got caught on the defender making him lose his balance that is why it went off his shoulder pad. I would bet money that CC dropped twice as many passes as Mcknight, and please remember that was his first season playing under a new coach and with Jay.

I would bet money that CC dropped twice as many passes as Mcknight

I'll take that bet, and you're money. Cha-ching. Check the game films, or subscribe to STATS Inc. You'll see.

McKnight had one of the highest percentages of catching passes that were thrown his way. He was in the top 20 in this stat, and I believe he led the Dolphins in it too.

Sounds like a good move and more proof that maybe that signing of the FB is just for camp depth.

And to all you've been screaming about signing him,we signed for min and we can just cut him and he doesn't count a thing against cap. He doesn't even count now unless he's one of highest 53 contracts. I don't think he is.

What Muck said.

I believe they are going to use it to help shore up some cap space for next year

If we're appox 4 million under the cap, why don't we offer DT S. Adams a one year contract, and put all of our DL questions to sleep once and for all....

I could care less about the offense right now. N. Turner will get the very most out of every single player on this offense, and we will improve on with him calling the shots....I have no worries there.

We do need depth on the DL in case T. Bowens or L. Chester goes down. If we could manage to sign S. Adams, we could put L. Chester behind him or T. Bowens for depth. Plus we still have J. Haley and E. Grant in case we run into an emergency situation during the season.....

S. Adams is still out there. He's still unsigned.

Why not try and land one of the best DT's in the NFL with a decent one year contract???

We offered possibly the best Center in the NFL {O. Kruetz from Chicago} a contract that would have been the highest salary for a Center in NFL history. Why not give a one of the best DT's in the NFL something to think about??....

With the money we've opened up, we need to fill the holes....DT is not deep, but if we signed S. Adams, we'd be more than deep, we'd be awesome....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

The problem with the cap room we have is... It's only TEMPORARY. I mean this in, that the only reason we have it, is because we released Gardener, and I beleive we are still slated to be quite a bit above the cap next year. So, it's not like we can go out and give someone a big signing bonus with that money, because of the situation we will be in over the next couple of years with our big name players' salaries continuing to rise (Madison, Surtain, JT, Zach.) Plus, there is the fact that we will have to give Ricky a new contract sooner rather than later... and I'm pretty sure the money he is likely to get will be nothing to sneeze at.

So, we are stuck looking at low-salary players OR resigning some of our younger guys, and bringing more of the money to the first couple years of the contract. Which, the Dolphins brass have already mentioned is what they are looking at doing. Resigning Todd Wade and Rob Konrad would not be a bad move at this point, and with the room we have available this year, we will be able to structure their deals so that it will help us keep our stars around longer by making the cap hits down the road less significant.

Although, I like the rest of you would like to see Sam Adams... I'm not so sure the Dolphins or Adams for that matter think it would be a good fit. Especially, at the kind of money he is talking about.

Back
Top Bottom