What to do with the extra money/All this room, yet no news | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What to do with the extra money/All this room, yet no news

we do not have the much money after signing the rooks and leaving a mil for injuries. Adams is nothing like Kreutz. Kreutz is 24 years old and he 2nd best C in the league.

I do agree that behind TimBo, Chester, Grant and Haley all we have is H Taylor and Atkins, but since we are only going to keep 4 DTs that s/b sufficient. If Chester cannot go , then I would look, despite the fact that Adams might be gone by then.

1) Sam Adams won't sign a deal for vet min. or 850k!!! That is ****ing nonsense!!!

2) If a player signs for vet minimum he makes a certain amount based on years of experience(not always 450k) AND only counts 250k against the cap no matter what the $$$$ amount. (at least that's what I've heard... not sure if it counts that amount exactly...but I do know it has changed since last year)

3) How is Gardner's cap hit spread over the next 2 years? -If it is a 50/50 split, you may not have a lot of $$$ this year.

Sam Adams might be gone by the end of the week. He's between Seattle, Denver, and re-signing with Baltimore. Its too bad. I've said it plenty of times before it would be kind of hard to explain a Sam Adams signing right now especially to Larry Chester because the DG cut doesn't really change things. We cut DG and replaced him pretty straightup with Jay Williams, who is slated to now play LDE on run downs, DT on pass downs....just like DG was.

So if we signed Adams now then it'd be like we told Larry Chester we signed him to be a run stuffer but all the sudden he's not gonna play at all and he could have signed and started with someone else if we'd have been honest and up front with him. And no, as a run stuffing DT he would not see that much playing time in relief of Tim Bowens and Sam Adams barring injury. We're not about to put Chester in on pass downs even if both Adams and Bowens come out on pass downs. We'd have three very high priced DTs sharing 2 spaces on run downs only.

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
1) Sam Adams won't sign a deal for vet min. or 850k!!! That is ****ing nonsense!!!

2) If a player signs for vet minimum he makes a certain amount based on years of experience(not always 450k) AND only counts 250k against the cap no matter what the $$$$ amount. (at least that's what I've heard... not sure if it counts that amount exactly...but I do know it has changed since last year)

3) How is Gardner's cap hit spread over the next 2 years? -If it is a 50/50 split, you may not have a lot of $$$ this year.

Actually you've got it wrong on the cap numbers. A player's salary is determined by the number of years... BUT the cap hit is always 450K. So, if he is a fully tenured vet, he would be getting paid roughly $750,000, but the cap hit would be $450,000.

Im still not sure on the Gardener cap hit thing. Originally I thought it was always a 50/50 hit, but from the numbers that have been released, it looks like they are taking ALL of the hit next year, and none of it this year. I kind of would have been happier with a 50/50 split. There is not much we can do with the extra money this year anyways... and that is a LOT of wasted money that will limit what we can do next year in free agency.

Dajesus explained it for me. I guess after June 1st all you have to accelerate this year would be the prorated portion of the signing bonus that was already supposed to accelerate in 2002. The rest of it gets accelerated in 2003. That would mean we take like a $1.6 million hit this year and a $6.1 million hit next year, or something like that. Even with the $6 million hit next year we still saved like $1.2 million on the 2003 cap because DG was slated to count like $7.3 million against the 2003 cap before he was cut.

Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS

#1) In case you haven't heard we now have roughly close to 4 million in cap room which is enough to offer Adams a tempting one year deal and it looks like he's off his deadline and waiting it out now. It would give the phins a really nice revolving DT rotation with Bowens/Adams/Chester with Haley doing the odd mop up.

#2) Depending on the years accrued by the veteran that is how you can find out what they are actually payed. However it always shows up as $450k on the salary cap. Depending on years the deals are 525k, 650k and 750k.

#3) After June 1st cap hits are split. The Redskins still have around $8 million on the books from the Deion Sanders fiasco. This years signing bonus has to be paid up front but the rest gets paid the following year.

Sam Adams, Larry Chester, and Tim Bowens in a revolving door mode on run downs sounds good but its definitely a misallocation of funds. Too many players too much money for too little playing time. Doubt Sam Adams as a pro bowler would come to the Dolphins to be told to compete with Larry Chester for playing time. His home is in Seattle, and he's talkin with Denver cuz they're in the area...and only considering Baltimore in the East because its his current team and where he lives.

Its good to see Konrad and especially Wade get new contracts. I'd hate to lose Wade b/c he is a stud at RT.

Back
Top Bottom