What Would've Made You Feel Better? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Would've Made You Feel Better?

What would've made you feel better?

• The hiring of a GM who would've fired Joe Philbin and start over?

Votes: 53 63.9%
  • The hiring of a GM whose job is to complement Philbin's efforts to be successful?

Votes: 30 36.1%

• Total voters
That we would have won those last two games.

Gamble as a GM.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know which way to go. I know I would have preferred either Xander, Decosta, Licht or Gamble to Hickey. The rest of the candidates I was pretty blah on. However, I would have liked to give Philbin/Tannehill another year now that Lazor was brought in. I think that is going to be the key offseason hire for the Fins. The Fins will only go as far as Tannehill can take them.

So I guess option C: A new GM who must give Philbin a one year trial. After that all bets are off.

I honestly don't know which way to go. I know I would have preferred either Xander, Decosta, Licht or Gamble to Hickey. The rest of the candidates I was pretty blah on. However, I would have liked to give Philbin/Tannehill another year now that Lazor was brought in. I think that is going to be the key offseason hire for the Fins. The Fins will only go as far as Tannehill can take them.

So I guess option C: A new GM who must give Philbin a one year trial. After that all bets are off.
What if the advice Stephen Ross is getting is that Ryan Tannehill needs two more years to enable the team to make a fully informed decision on him, and that Joe Philbin isn't likely to be successful unless Ryan Tannehill is, as well?

What if the advice Stephen Ross is getting is that Ryan Tannehill needs two more years to enable the team to make a fully informed decision on him, and that Joe Philbin isn't likely to be successful unless Ryan Tannehill is, as well?

No one on this team (players, management, all kinds of personnel) will be successful if Tannehill gets slapped with the "bust" label. He is the most important piece to this organization, period.

One year, Philbin has to dance with the date he brought. That's why I believe Hickey was given a two year contract. After the first year he will either be extended or fired with Joe and his staff.

I've stated many times that I think Tannehill has improved immensely over the past two years, but that he still isn't where he needs to be yet. I like how he has gotten better at identifying at what the defense is trying to do and adjusting the offense to it, I like that his decision making with protecting the football has gotten better, and I like that his pocket presence appeared to improve over the course of last season and I like that he is accurate from 20 yards on in. What I have hated and still attribute to his lack of chemistry with Wallace, is his deep ball. He needs to get better at that and if he can't then he will not take this team to where it needs to go and it will be time to move on. Franchise QB's need to be able to hit the deep ball when given the chance at a wide open receiver better than 25% of the time. I should also note that I am optimistic that it will happen. He has been able to find chemistry with Hartline, Gibson and Matthews who are slower. He just needs to adjust to Wallace's speed, throw the ball when Wallace is even with the DB and trust Wallace will get there.

One question I do have though is with the YPA stat. Can you adjust it to show what Tannehill's YPA would be if he would have connected on 3-5 more of his deep attempts to Wallace. I really feel that is a major reason, along with all the times he was sacked, it is so low. What I'm basically asking is how much would Tannehill's YPA improve if he had around another 200 yards throwing with the same amount of attemps? I ask because the deep ball is the biggest area I feel he needs to improve and if he does so, even just a little bit, how will it affect that stat?

One question I do have though is with the YPA stat. Can you adjust it to show what Tannehill's YPA would be if he would have connected on 3-5 more of his deep attempts to Wallace. I really feel that is a major reason, along with all the times he was sacked, it is so low. What I'm basically asking is how much would Tannehill's YPA improve if he had around another 200 yards throwing with the same amount of attemps? I ask because the deep ball is the biggest area I feel he needs to improve and if he does so, even just a little bit, how will it affect that stat?
If he would've completed the average percentage of passes of 20+ yards downfield in the league (40%, as opposed to his 32.8%), and those passes would've averaged 30 yards apiece, his YPA for the year would've gone from 6.65 to 6.85, which would've taken him from the 9th to the 34th percentile in the league in 2013.

As I've mentioned before, Tannehill's short and intermediate range accuracy isn't good enough to compensate for his downfield problems. If it was, the kind of improvement in downfield accuracy we're talking about here would make his YPA sufficiently good, rather than still coming up short.

If he would've completed the average percentage of passes of 20+ yards downfield in the league (40%, as opposed to his 32.8%), and those passes would've averaged 30 yards apiece, his YPA for the year would've gone from 6.65 to 6.85, which would've taken him from the 9th to the 34th percentile in the league in 2013.

As I've mentioned before, Tannehill's short and intermediate range accuracy isn't good enough to compensate for his downfield problems. If it was, the kind of improvement in downfield accuracy we're talking about here would make his YPA sufficiently good, rather than still coming up short.

Shouright, thanks for looking but you didn't really answer my question. On all of the throws Tannehill missed Wallace on, Wallace was considerably further down the field more than 30 yards. What would his YPA have been with an extra 200 yards, which would be the equivalent of 3-5 more deep ball connections ? If you don't want to calculate it/have the time, please give me the formula and I can do it.

Shouright, thanks for looking but you didn't really answer my question. On all of the throws Tannehill missed Wallace on, Wallace was considerably further down the field more than 30 yards. What would his YPA have been with an extra 200 yards, which would be the equivalent of 3-5 more deep ball connections ? If you don't want to calculate it/have the time, please give me the formula and I can do it.
200 additional yards would've made his YPA 6.99, which would've put him just a shade below average in the league (49th percentile).

I believe he has a plan and has not had the amount of time needed or the necessary support for the plan to bear fruit. i think he will succeed within 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom