What's The First Thing You Think Of When You Think Miami Dolphins? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's The First Thing You Think Of When You Think Miami Dolphins?

What is the first thing you think of when you think Miami Dolphins?

• Don Shula

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Dan Marino

Votes: 57 44.5%
  • The Perfect Season

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • Jason Taylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Uniforms

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • The Stadium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • A Specific Game (please elaborate)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 28 21.9%

• Total voters
Tough choice! Instant reaction is probably Marino if I'm honest, but I voted Don Shula because he built up or built upon everything that makes me proud to be a Dolphins fan. From the winning, to being the least penalized team every year, to being the only team to have an undefeated season, to getting the best out of his players, to winning with class, to winning with defense when he had Arnsparger or running when he had Csonka or passing when he had Marino, to the most wins EVER, to being the highest winningest percentage professional team in any sport once upon a time, Don Shula is the G.O.A.T. He won, with only 2 losing seasons EVER. He did it with style and class, every year. He consistently got the most out of his teams, which rarely were the most talented. Wade Phillips' legendary father, Bum Phillips, once said this about Don Shula:

"he can take his'uns and beat your'uns, and then turn around and take your'uns and beat his'uns." - Bum Phillips

Don Shula is the legend, and deserves his legendary status. I want all that good stuff again.

My family moved to South Florida from Jamaica when I was four years old. We've been hooked ever since. Had season tickets from age 5-20+. Never missed a game. Just waiting for my son to be old enough to have him ride the same wave. He just turned three. I'm aiming for age five also.

So when I think of the Miami Dolphins.... I think of my life man. Born in 1989 so I never saw a Super Bowl but it doesn't matter. Some of my fondest memories are with this team. I've lost family members (mom for example) that I've shared so many connected memories with the Dolphins. The good, the bad, the ups, the downs.... I can appreciate all of it and relate it to life in general. I'm connected to this team for eternity.

I feel the same way about the Miami Heat.

Last edited:
Murphy's Law. Every single year they find some way to surprise me.

(If we're talking positive images though, it's Dan Marino followed closely by Zach Thomas for me)

Child of the early 80's, so I missed the glorious early 70's. Grew up watching Marino make his way through the league. Remember many conversations with friends, defending Dan as the greatest QB ever even though he hadn't won a SB. Oh younger years. Taylor and Thomas became a huge part of my fan focus. I freakin' LOVED Zach Thomas. I wish he was a part of the coaching staff here. But overall, if it's just one thing I associate with Fins when I hear the name, it's gotta be Marino.

Zach Thomas.

I started watching the Dolphins during the Jimmy era, as my dad and I followed the dolphins as well after he left Dallas.

I liked Marino, but ZT 54 is #1 for me.

I would say Dan Marino and the perfect season cause he was the best Qb we've had since Griese who lead us to that perfect season.

Tough choice! Instant reaction is probably Marino if I'm honest, but I voted Don Shula because he built up or built upon everything that makes me proud to be a Dolphins fan. From the winning, to being the least penalized team every year, to being the only team to have an undefeated season, to getting the best out of his players, to winning with class, to winning with defense when he had Arnsparger or running when he had Csonka or passing when he had Marino, to the most wins EVER, to being the highest winningest percentage professional team in any sport once upon a time, Don Shula is the G.O.A.T. He won, with only 2 losing seasons EVER. He did it with style and class, every year. He consistently got the most out of his teams, which rarely were the most talented. Wade Phillips' legendary father, Bum Phillips, once said this about Don Shula:

"he can take his'uns and beat your'uns, and then turn around and take your'uns and beat his'uns." - Bum Phillips

Don Shula is the legend, and deserves his legendary status. I want all that good stuff again.
I also think Shula in his prime would have dominated in the salary cap era and Bum Phillips' quote certainly points to that. If his team had the same talent as the other team he'd win at probably a 75 percent rate. You just knew if the talent was close Shula would get Miami a win. He had less talent in all his super bowl losses except for when he coached Baltimore against the Jets.

As much as the Perfect Season was an amazing accomplishment, especially considering the team lost Bob Griese early in the season, I still count getting to the super bowl with David Woodley as Shula's best coaching season. Plus, the Dolphins might have won that game if Joe Theisman doesn't knock the ball away from Doug Betters. A touchdown there and not sure the Redskins could have stuck with the ground attack so long. I think Washington clearly had more talent that season than Miami mostly because of the quarterback position.

I think Shula first, but Marino certainly as well. Interesting that the poll favors Marino by quite a large margin. I guess I'm just now one of the older fans! That also probably means that a lot of fans on this site have never seen the Dolphins win a title. That is really my wish.

I've been a fan since 1970 when I was 10. I totally experienced and appreciated Don Shula, but the 20 some odd years since him has left the toll on me. What do I think when I think of my beloved Dolphins? One word "SUCK"! I hope that changes, but the scars are real and they're not going away after one good year.... so that's it. no anger.... I'll always love the Dolphins, just hard to be proud of them now
It has been so tough since Shula left. The hardest part has been that the best team in football for the last 20 years is a division foe, the New England Patriots. Seems like forever that the Dolphins have been playing for 2nd place at the best. I'm sure that's how it used to feel for the other teams in the AFC East. Miss those days when Miami was always relevant.

Gonna be an odd answer, but the first thing that comes to mind is Dolfan Denny. Growing up in the 80's in Miami, Denny came to our school each year on Dolphin day. Every game I went to, he was there. When we watched on tv, I always saw him pumping up the fans. If I had to pick something on the list, I'd say the stadium, The Orange Bowl. Every time I went there as a kid it was special. From tail-gaiting to people watching. Getting lost with my brother and finding empty seats all the way at the top. Also the first place I ever smelled weed. Good thread 8]

Back
Top Bottom