What's up with McMichael? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's up with McMichael?

Originally posted by Prime Time

Yeah 4 catches, for 37 yards, and a TD is stellar :rolleyes:

I said that he was doing fine not stellar. He is an active part of our offense and has scored 7 of our 41 pts. We are only 2 games into the season. I see no sound basis for making a claim that he is not performing. JT only has .5 sacks. That doesn't mean that he or McMichael can't improve in the next 14 games.:rolleyes:

this year the only TE thats been consistent the first two weeks has been alge crumpler.

of the "top" 20 TEs, less than half even have TDs, so the fact that McMike does, atleast makes me feel comfortable that hell be getting the ball when it counts...

peace
amin

I don't think the person who started this topic understands how Tight Ends work...

Yours is a good one and he's playing well.

yeah the fact that he has one TD after just 2 weeks is great IMO, it's not Madden04 where a tightend can can have 25 TDs in one game

Originally posted by !PapaCrunk!
yeah the fact that he has one TD after just 2 weeks is great IMO, it's not Madden04 where a tightend can can have 25 TDs in one game

Victor? Changed the name? Niiiiiice..

Originally posted by Prime Time
Please show me the league average.

Starting TE's in the AFC and their #'s
Rec ... Yards ... TD's

Todd Heap
7 ... 62 ... 0

Dave Moore
1 ... 7 ... 1

Reggie Kelly
3 ... 24 ... 0

Steve Heiden
3 ... 27 ... 0

Shannon Sharpe
5 ... 70 ... 1

Billy Miller
5 ... 32 ... 0

Marcus Pollard
5 ... 40 ... 0

Kyle Brady
6 ... 53 ... 0

Tony Fricken Gonzalez!
4 ... 26 ... 0

Randy McMichael
4 ... 37 ... 1

Christian Fauria
4 ... 26 ... 2

Anthony Becht
5 ... 24 ... 0

Doug Jolley
6 ... 41 ... 0

Jay Riemersma
2 ... 29 ... 1

Stephen Alexander
0 ... 0 ... 0

Frank Wycheck
1 ... 12 ... 0

So looking at the AFC (which has better TE's anyways and I'm not gonna waste time looking up the NFC TE's as well) we can see that the statistical average of the AFC Starting TE is this...

3.8 Receptions
31.8 Yards
0.37 TD's

Compare that to Randy's
4 Reception
37 Yards
1 TD

He is just slightly ahead of par on receptions and yards and allmost 3 times ahead of the average on TD's.

So lay off the guy, capice? :goof:

Originally posted by Jaj
Gonzales and Crumpler???

How bout Gonzales and Heap. Shockey is a wild one yes and can have troublesome games and big ones. I would argue though that least season Mr. Consistent was Heap.

i picked crumpler in my fantasy team. he rules because he is in the right system and they utilize him well. i had the foresight to pick him and told people as i picked him that he would be the sleeper pick of the year. so far i am right.
as far as mcmicheal. his stats for the last game were fine, we just didnt use him for houston at all in passing game. I watched the jets game first half over agin and noticed he was helping wade smith at tackle a bit. If Ronnie Lee gets more time down the road, you might see Lee get some TD's instead of mcmike.

Actually, I see McMichael as the possible 'offensive key' to todays' game. Although Buffalo has different personnel, Randy was left wide open so many times against the Bills last year. Lucas missed Randy countless times when he had no one within ten yards of him. One of Clements INTs came when Lucas underthrew a wide open Randy Mac by ten to fifteen yards.

Anyway, while last year is history, IMHO RM is still the key, for a few reasons:-

>Play action is going to be a major tactic

>Chambers will recieve so much focus (bearing in mind that Thompson isn't scaring anyone)

>Randy seems to have Buffalo's number

>With Chambers probably drawing a lot of coverage, Randy is probably the guy that Jay feels most comfortable with.

Obviously, Derrius Thompson can change the whole perspective of this matchup by taking advantage of the double coverage on Chambers. However, as a tactic to take into the game, Randy Mac will be the offensive focus.

The offensive identity of this team is slowly forming. Two things need to happen initially. For example, why was Dallas so efficient:-

>Irvin had to be doubled

>Teams would have to bring extra players to the line to stop Smith

This would allow:-

>Harper to get free deep

>Novacek to dominate the middle of the field

Ricky has shown that he can succeed even with teams geared to stop him. Chambers now needs to continue to produce with multiple players covering him. The next logical step is for Randy and Derrius to start punishing teams for concentrating on Chris and Randy. Now I know that it basic football 101, but sometimes we do forget the fundamentals.

It make take a few weeks, but I see this offense taking shape. Todays game is arguably the one where Chambers will recieve the most attention so far, and Ricky will be as much in the defenses focus as ever. So lets see whether Randy (and Derrius) can step up and punish the defenses' lack of attention.

For the record, McMichael is 12 in the league in recieving yards for a tight end. Crumpler is leading with 148 yards. He also has two touch downs. Last year Jeremy Shockey, who led the league in recieving yards for a tight end, averaged 59.6 yards per game. Last year Todd Heap averaged 52.9 yards recieving per game. In 2000 Tony Gonalez averaged a massive 75.2 yards per game. He also was in the high 50's in 1999 and 2001. Last year four Tight Ends averaged over 40 yards recieving a game: Shockey, Sharpe, Todd Heap, and Tony Gonzalez. Last year Randy McMichael averaged 30.3 yards a game. He caught 4 touchdowns. Intresting side fact, all of McMichaels receptions this year have come in three reciever sets. In the first half of the 2002 season, McMichael averaged 42.4 yards a game. and scored all four of his touchdowns. I'm not really sure which way all of these stats go, but it's certainly open to debate if McMichaels playing welll or not. Most troubling, I think is his 9.3 yards per reception. His touch down was 8 yards, so it did not bring down his average that much.

Back
Top Bottom