What's with the "long shots"? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What's with the "long shots"?

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of posts from people naming some obscure player the Fins should aquire because they are a "sleeper". What is up with that?!?!?

I am tired of long shots and wanna be's. Give me a highly touted, stud playmaker.

There is no guarantee on any player, but I like the odds on a top player versus some long shot.

We have done this without playmakers for too long. Time to raise the man factor and get some real players in.

Is this your first year watching football? there are 7 rounds in a draft for a reason, you can't win with 1st and 2nd round picks alone. Jason taylor, Zach Thomas, and Wally Ogunleye were all "sleepers", as were Terrell Owens, Tom Brady, hell even Laverneous Coles.

If you don't know anything about college football and can only identify the star players, don't go on a retarded rant about "sleepers", go watch the NBA draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't most 1st rounders bust? I think the stat is like half of em.

I have no problem with sleepers or long shots... The problem is Wannstedt's inability to identify either...

Instead we have Eddie Moore and Wade Smith...

wade smith is gonna be the man for a while... Hes 22 years old, hes a smart, athletic guy, who will work hard to put on muscle in the offseason. TWENTY TWO YEARS OLD! not many 3rd round left tackles are given that experience. hes got a good 5+ years til he hits his prime as a lineman. He wasn't terrible last season, he had a couple bad games and made some rookie mistakes, but Wade smith will be a rock for a loooong time.

I agree, in a few years, Wade Smith will be the best lineman on our team. He started his entire rookie year and although he gave up some plays, he did fairly good. Think of all the guys he went up against this season... John Abraham, Michael Strahan, Hugh Douglas, Richard Seymour, Dwight Freeney... the list goes on.

You assume he will be a better lineman than he is now...

I assume he won't...

I hope I am wrong...

Had we signed Wayne Gandy we wouldn't be having this discussion...

it's odd for one to assume that he has reached his peak as a lineman at age 22, when he didnt even start playing lineman til his junior year in college(tightend before that). so much to learn, and so many ways he can improve (strength, technique, knowledge).

Originally posted by T-ROCK
You assume he will be a better lineman than he is now...

I assume he won't...

I hope I am wrong...

Had we signed Wayne Gandy we wouldn't be having this discussion...

No, we'd be another couple million in debt.

There is no reason to assume Wade won't make significant improvement. Wade wasn't even that bad last year, rookie or not. 3-4 plays stick out in alot of people's minds that lead them to believe he wasn't an effective LT.

Given the fact that he played every play of the season at LT, and gave up what? maybe 5-6 sacks.

half of which came in 2 games.

Had Miami signed Wayne Gandy, they would have simply overpaid for a very average lineman.

Re: What's with the "long shots"?

Originally posted by fin-atic
I see a lot of posts from people naming some obscure player the Fins should aquire because they are a "sleeper". What is up with that?!?!?

I am tired of long shots and wanna be's. Give me a highly touted, stud playmaker.

There is no guarantee on any player, but I like the odds on a top player versus some long shot.

We have done this without playmakers for too long. Time to raise the man factor and get some real players in.

Stud playmaker as in...

Jim Druckenmiller
Rick Mirer
Ryan Leaf
Sammie Smith?
Yatil Green?
or how about Jamar Fletcher

You people are being too hard on Fin-atic. I happen to agree. I don't want to settle for what is on the board, I want to be pro active, move up if we have to and pick a player who shows he has some tools to help this team in the near future. Eddie Moore is supposed to help us in a few years when he gets seasoned, same with Wade Smith (who I think will be great) but I want someone who can come in (be it wide reciever, O-line, Qb or wherever) and help us next year. I think that is what Fin-atic is getting at. We sometimes like to think we can make all these steals in the draft when sometimes the obvious most tlaked about option, is still the best one.

I go back to Peyton Manning's draft and the debacle with Ryan Leaf. Peyton had been groomed to be the number one pick for close to three years prior to when he became available. Then, people start in at the last minute about Ryan Leaf. The Chargers bit on him thinking they could turmp the Colts and pick a guy who wasn't on the radar previously and coem out on top. We all know what happened there.

Sometimes, the big names on the board are the right choices and worth going after is all.

It's always the young guys who think they know everything

Originally posted by Stamos
Is this your first year watching football? there are 7 rounds in a draft for a reason, you can't win with 1st and 2nd round picks alone. Jason taylor, Zach Thomas, and Wally Ogunleye were all "sleepers", as were Terrell Owens, Tom Brady, hell even Laverneous Coles.

If you don't know anything about college football and can only identify the star players, don't go on a retarded rant about "sleepers", go watch the NBA draft.

fin atic has been folowing football longer than you have been alive
As soon as we get a new G.M. all you feefee lovers are going to have to leave with him.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys all remember the "busts" but let me refresh your memories of some first round hits:

David Carr
Julius Peppers
Roy Williams
John Henderson
Dwight Freeney
Ed Reed
Jeremy Shockey
Andre Johnson
Terrance Newman
Byron Leftwich
Terrell Suggs
Michale Vick
Ladanian Tomlinson
Duece Mcallister
Reggie Wayne
Todd Heap
Levar Arrington
Jamal Lewis
Corey Simon
Brian Urlacher
Chad Pennington
Shaun Alexander

And that's just the last three years. I was also very generous because there are many players that are starting that were taken, but I didn't really give them star player status.

If I go into the second round I could pull several "marquee" names from college that were taken and then went on to become NFL stars. One that comes to mind is Anquan Boldin.

So a$$ wipe (Stamos) I think you need to do some research before challenging me. If you are sitting around calling Wade Smith a great pickup then you are proving how little you know. He got beat around the corner so many times this year that if they kept it as a stat it would be a record. He may yet develop but he was hardly a great lineman this year.

When you go back in time you find plenty of Peyton Manning, Ricky Williams, Donavan Mcnabb, Edgerin James, Chalres Woodson, and on and on. Go check. Most first rounders play and many star.

So bite me jack off.

PS

Hey Welderpat thanks for the support. You are like...well like a brother!

Our first pick this year........

Is earlier than the one we drafted marino with, he turned ouy O.K.
I find it totaly amazing that so many people on here know so much more than the hundreds of scouts that work in the N.F.L.
The blue chip draft prospects there is a reason they are rated so high, sure some wont make it. But the odds are alot better.
That is why we are getting a G.M. in this years draft with our first pick we will draft the best Q.B. available, you know one that can throw the damn ball.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom