When Did 4-3 Olb Become A 1st Round Consideration? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Did 4-3 Olb Become A 1st Round Consideration?

foozool13

#12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I know we are weak at LB, but since when did a 4-3 OLB become a consideration for a first round pick. These guys are usually drafted rounds 3 - 5 and for good reason (they are 2 down players). 1st round 4-3 LBs are true MIKE LBs like Keuchly and neither Smith or Edmunds is even close to that. If we were running a 3-4 defense I could understand the love for these guys. With the 4-3 that we run, I just dont get it. Much rather grab Griffin round 3 or 4.

I know we are weak at LB, but since when did a 4-3 OLB become a consideration for a first round pick. These guys are usually drafted rounds 3 - 5 and for good reason (they are 2 down players). 1st round 4-3 LBs are true MIKE LBs like Keuchly and neither Smith or Edmunds is even close to that. If we were running a 3-4 defense I could understand the love for these guys. With the 4-3 that we run, I just dont get it. Much rather grab Griffin round 3 or 4.

IMO, the NFL world has changed. Since when did 4 QBs rank high enough to be CONSIDERED gone in the 1st 5-6 picks? When did an OG rate a top 10 pick? Or a RB in the top 5. I understand once-in-a-generation talent, but there aren't that many in 2018. That said, it's a business and the price of a limited item is what the highest bidder says it is. In this case, it isn't just Miami valuing an OLB high. There are a handful of teams placing a high value on them. The flip side is, some teams will draft what they consider an 'elite' talent, and find out there aren't that many.

IMO, the NFL world has changed. Since when did 4 QBs rank high enough to be CONSIDERED gone in the 1st 5-6 picks? When did an OG rate a top 10 pick? Or a RB in the top 5. I understand once-in-a-generation talent, but there aren't that many in 2018. That said, it's a business and the price of a limited item is what the highest bidder says it is. In this case, it isn't just Miami valuing an OLB high. There are a handful of teams placing a high value on them. The flip side is, some teams will draft what they consider an 'elite' talent, and find out there aren't that many.

The NFL has changed and I cant argue that.

The QB part is understandable these days. Its a must have in todays NFL. You need to keep grabbing themn until you find "the ONE". The rest of your team is a moot point if you dont have an adequate QB (90% of the time).

I still dont understand an OG going top 10, thats insane.

RB going high have happened a lot in the past. Although i understand that changed a bit recently, but its not complete unheard of. RB still go high if they are ELITE (Zeke, Fournette, etc.)

Unless he is a MIKE LB, I woudl not pick a LB round 1, especially that high.

As far as picking "ELITE" talents , I guess teams consider these guys just that. Otherwise it doesnt warrent a pick that high.

You make valid points though, so I apprecite the response.

A 43 olb isn't necessarily a 2 down player ...

So what, we only will play with 1 lb in the nickel? And that would be?? Kiko (not qualified) or McMillan (an unknown) so the better option is wait until the talent sharply falls off?

Smith and Edmunds (and LVE) are the top LBs in this class for a reason: they are the most talented and most likely to give you high quality results on the field than someone on day 3 or round 3. Just because Smith is more of a will and Edmunds might be more of a sam isn’t a huge deal honestly

If Fitzpatrick (and James) are gone- those LBs are my top 2 choices and the ones who are going to make the most impact. Any of those 4 players and we are in good shape

Who would you have us draft instead?

Also- guards are becoming more and more valuable, part of the reason Nelson is mocked so high. Look at all the leaky interior OLs out there, if you want to fix that you gotta pay a premium for it. Similar to in FA where all these dudes are just getting PAID

Edmunds is a freak of nature at 19 years who would make our front 7 much better in the run and pass game. I do feel like Smith is a bit overrated naturally due to his production in college, but Edmunds is EXACTLY what this team needs right now at LB. Speed, size, potential; we desperately need all 3. Without Suh, this run defense will take a step back, we need someone like Edmunds to help negate that factor.

but since when did a 4-3 OLB become a consideration for a first round pick.

Because...as the beginning of your post states...our LB's are not a good group...much less game changers...adding a potential star to the group and (hopefully) another with McMillan would solidify a huge area of weakness on our defense for years

Neglecting that would continue to allow 3rd down conversions and ball control (T.O.P.) and in the long run kill us on defense by leaving us on the field and keeping our offense from possibly scoring while on the bench...IMO

We have to stop the run AND the opposing TE's/slots from owning us...so great pass rush and LBer coverage has to improve

So...your point may be valid....but our team needs to address that elephant in the room with the best player possible...again IMO

Smith is a 3 down player in today's NFL. The second he steps onto the field he will be the best player we have at covering TE's and RB's. I've seen that guy make plays that none of the players currently on our roster have a shot at making. Same goes for Edmunds, although Smith is more polished.

Because...as the beginning of your post states...our LB's are not a good group...much less game changers...adding a potential star to the group and (hopefully) another with McMillan would solidify a huge area of weakness on our defense for years

Neglecting that would continue to allow 3rd down conversions and ball control (T.O.P.) and in the long run kill us on defense by leaving us on the field and keeping our offense from possibly scoring while on the bench...IMO

We have to stop the run AND the opposing TE's/slots from owning us...so great pass rush and LBer coverage has to improve

So...your point may be valid....but our team needs to address that elephant in the room with the best player possible...again IMO

This is just IMO, but, I think every top D should have a game-changer at all levels - DL/LB//CB/S. Wake has been that with some potential on the roster, Miami seems to have a couple of guys who can step up a CB, Jones has been that sporadically, but LB? Nobody, and nobody for quite a while. That's why my top two choices are S/LB. Which gets me to, top targeted players should be seen as game-changers.

It all depends on need, if your biggest need is a kicker well then there you are. I'm being exaggerative of course, but you get the point, team needs are team needs regardless of position.

Edmunds is a freak of nature at 19 years who would make our front 7 much better in the run and pass game. I do feel like Smith is a bit overrated naturally due to his production in college, but Edmunds is EXACTLY what this team needs right now at LB. Speed, size, potential; we desperately need all 3. Without Suh, this run defense will take a step back, we need someone like Edmunds to help negate that factor.
not only did we lose Suh, but we wont have Timmons this year, not saying he was great, but at least we know what we had with him...with McMillan in the middle, we could take Edmunds to be the SAM...who knows, maybe Kiko would be coming off the field in Nickel?

I agree, clearly we could not stop short/intermediate passing plays with last years LBs...but I am hoping McMillan helps shore up some of that liability...

Smith is a 3 down player in today's NFL. The second he steps onto the field he will be the best player we have at covering TE's and RB's. I've seen that guy make plays that none of the players currently on our roster have a shot at making. Same goes for Edmunds, although Smith is more polished.
100% Smith is a 3 down LB, but, we just don't have the need for him to be taken at 11...we already are committed to Kiko, whether we like it or not, as our 3 down WLB....drafting Smith, although would def. be an upgrade over Kiko, means all that $ he is earning is a waste...unless he could play SAM, which I doubt...this is why Edmunds is the better pick at 11...heck, with his speed and athleticism, he may be able to stay on the field with McMillan and have Kiko come off! I would not be surprised if that were to happen...maybe we should cut/trade Kiko and draft Smith/Edmunds

I also think drafting Derwin James would be a huge mistake...we already have 2 Strong Safetys and no true Free Safety, so by drafting ANOTHER Strong Box Safety, who the hell is going to cover Centerfield? James could be great, just not on our team...Minkah would be the better pick for a true F/S

The NFL has changed and I cant argue that.

The QB part is understandable these days. Its a must have in todays NFL. You need to keep grabbing themn until you find "the ONE". The rest of your team is a moot point if you dont have an adequate QB (90% of the time).

I still dont understand an OG going top 10, thats insane.

RB going high have happened a lot in the past. Although i understand that changed a bit recently, but its not complete unheard of. RB still go high if they are ELITE (Zeke, Fournette, etc.)

Unless he is a MIKE LB, I woudl not pick a LB round 1, especially that high.

As far as picking "ELITE" talents , I guess teams consider these guys just that. Otherwise it doesnt warrent a pick that high.

You make valid points though, so I apprecite the response.
Smith has elite instincts and I will bet on that every day he also has the speed you want in a LB coupled with that instincts there are not many plays he won't be in. The only knock is that he is a couple of inches and about 20 pounds lighter than we like. WIth his instincts I think Smith can be on Par or better than Zach Thomas especially since he has better physical tools than Thomas had that is what I am taking with #11.

100% Smith is a 3 down LB, but, we just don't have the need for him to be taken at 11...we already are committed to Kiko, whether we like it or not, as our 3 down WLB....drafting Smith, although would def. be an upgrade over Kiko, means all that $ he is earning is a waste...unless he could play SAM, which I doubt...this is why Edmunds is the better pick at 11...heck, with his speed and athleticism, he may be able to stay on the field with McMillan and have Kiko come off! I would not be surprised if that were to happen...maybe we should cut/trade Kiko and draft Smith/Edmunds

I also think drafting Derwin James would be a huge mistake...we already have 2 Strong Safetys and no true Free Safety, so by drafting ANOTHER Strong Box Safety, who the hell is going to cover Centerfield? James could be great, just not on our team...Minkah would be the better pick for a true F/S

I got what you were saying at first but I honestly don't give 2 ****s how much we are paying Kiko, if he can't cut it and someone else can then sit his a**. I'm not willing to sacrifice wins for financial reasons, or to save face because we dished out a big contract to a bad player. What exactly be the difference between drafting him or Edmunds though? Either way you're gonna have to take Kiko off the field to keep them on. If you just personally like Edmunds more because of his size then fine, but Smith is every bit as athletic, probably even quicker/faster and has better instincts.

As far as the safeties I agree to a point. Minkah would be the better pick and fit. We could get a hell of a lot of use out of James though. I get what you're saying about him being in the mold of McDonald and Jones but he's more athletic than both of them and he imo could cover any TE in the NFL which is something neither Jones or McDonald are good at... he'll nobody on pur team is good at that. James is better suited to do that than anyone else in the draft, and he can do so much more.

Just FYI though Fitzpatrick is the guy I want most in the draft. My top 4 in order are...
Fitzpatrick, James, Smith, Edmunds

Reactions: BSQ
Back
Top Bottom