When Did 4-3 Olb Become A 1st Round Consideration? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

When Did 4-3 Olb Become A 1st Round Consideration?

Smith has elite instincts and I will bet on that every day he also has the speed you want in a LB coupled with that instincts there are not many plays he won't be in. The only knock is that he is a couple of inches and about 20 pounds lighter than we like. WIth his instincts I think Smith can be on Par or better than Zach Thomas especially since he has better physical tools than Thomas had that is what I am taking with #11.

He is aweful taking on blocks. He couldnt shed a block if his life depended on it in college and you think being undersized wont make that worse in the NFL ? Sorry, but no way. He is not an Elite/Complete LB.

I got what you were saying at first but I honestly don't give 2 ****s how much we are paying Kiko, if he can't cut it and someone else can then sit his a**. I'm not willing to sacrifice wins for financial reasons, or to save face because we dished out a big contract to a bad player. What exactly be the difference between drafting him or Edmunds though? Either way you're gonna have to take Kiko off the field to keep them on. If you just personally like Edmunds more because of his size then fine, but Smith is every bit as athletic, probably even quicker/faster and has better instincts.

As far as the safeties I agree to a point. Minkah would be the better pick and fit. We could get a hell of a lot of use out of James though. I get what you're saying about him being in the mold of McDonald and Jones but he's more athletic than both of them and he imo could cover any TE in the NFL which is something neither Jones or McDonald are good at... he'll nobody on pur team is good at that. James is better suited to do that than anyone else in the draft, and he can do so much more.

Just FYI though Fitzpatrick is the guy I want most in the draft. My top 4 in order are...
Fitzpatrick, James, Smith, Edmunds
100% agree with you...but, I just dont see this FO drafting a guy (Smith or James) who would certainly be an upgrade at their respective positions, only to have the players they replace to sit on the bench and still be financially committed to them...we just settled decent contracts on both Jones and McDonald as well as Kiko...unless we traded/cut Kiko, OR if McDonald moves to a dollar LB, I just don't see it happening...not sure on the specifics of Kikos contract, maybe theres a way to cut him without too much of a cap penalty or dead money? i dunno

He is aweful taking on blocks. He couldnt shed a block if his life depended on it in college and you think being undersized wont make that worse in the NFL ? Sorry, but no way. He is not an Elite/Complete LB.
cj mosley's weaknesses coming out of college were that he was undersized and had issues shedding blocks.

not only did we lose Suh, but we wont have Timmons this year, not saying he was great, but at least we know what we had with him...with McMillan in the middle, we could take Edmunds to be the SAM...who knows, maybe Kiko would be coming off the field in Nickel?

I agree, clearly we could not stop short/intermediate passing plays with last years LBs...but I am hoping McMillan helps shore up some of that liability...

100% Smith is a 3 down LB, but, we just don't have the need for him to be taken at 11...we already are committed to Kiko, whether we like it or not, as our 3 down WLB....drafting Smith, although would def. be an upgrade over Kiko, means all that $ he is earning is a waste...unless he could play SAM, which I doubt...this is why Edmunds is the better pick at 11...heck, with his speed and athleticism, he may be able to stay on the field with McMillan and have Kiko come off! I would not be surprised if that were to happen...maybe we should cut/trade Kiko and draft Smith/Edmunds

I also think drafting Derwin James would be a huge mistake...we already have 2 Strong Safetys and no true Free Safety, so by drafting ANOTHER Strong Box Safety, who the hell is going to cover Centerfield? James could be great, just not on our team...Minkah would be the better pick for a true F/S

The only reason Kiko should affect the draft in the need to draft a replacement. His one year hit on the cap doesn't change anything.

Kiko gets hammered on this site and I understand that but I think Burke has to take some of the blame. Burke is the guy that's supposed to be putting our players in the best position to succeed. Kiko was a far better Mike, in 2016 he was above average imo, but last season he was asked to do things that he simply can't. We all saw him get beat over and over and yet nothing ever changed and we trot out the same crap the following week. The jury is out on Burke and one of our biggest problems may very well be that our DC isn't up for the job. I really wish we had a known entity at DC, a guy who's been to and won Super Bowls or had great success at the college level but we pick this basically nobody guy to the 2nd most important coaching job on the Dolphins. I hope he's a young Bill Arnsbarger.

The only reason Kiko should affect the draft in the need to draft a replacement. His one year hit on the cap doesn't change anything.

I absolutely loved CJ Mosley coming out. IF you could tell me Smith is going to be that, I would have no objections with him at 11. But that would also mean Smith is our MIKE LB, which I dont think woudl be the case here. He is a WILL LB in a 4-3.

I absolutely loved CJ Mosley coming out. IF you could tell me Smith is going to be that, I would have no objections with him at 11. But that would also mean Smith is our MIKE LB, which I dont think woudl be the case here. He is a WILL LB in a 4-3.

I hope they aren't drafting based on strict position titles like that anymore. I would have no problem with him playing WILL next to McMillan. Think that would be fantastic, actually.

Also a fan of Edmunds though, so couldn't imagine being upset either way.

Same time nickel defenses became more the norm.

Edmunds or Smith would look pretty sweet next to Raekwon in our nickel.

We aren't picking top 5, at 11 you can draft an OLB if you think they are elite. Keuchkly went 9th but would have went a hell of a lot higher if people knew how good he actually was.

Or we can draft another Juwuan James, or Devonta Parker, or Dion Jordan. Those were solid picks,

every position is important but at 11 you draft guys that will impact your pass defense or your pass offense

So now we're acting like 4-3 is the only formation we line up in? Speed linebackers give you versatility. Calling a guy like Roquan a "4-3 OLB" is like saying Barry Sanders wasn't a good power back.

Back
Top Bottom