where did you have Ajayi ranked amoung RB? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

where did you have Ajayi ranked amoung RB?

I like Ajayi. Generally I'm not as big a fan of this RB class as most people. I like Gurley ... but not blown away by him like most people were. Nobody else is really special from what I've seen. At best, Gordon will be a poor man's Charles ... but Charles without elite speed, which isn't really earth shattering to me.

What makes Ajayi so special to me is different than what I keep hearing about him. I keep hearing about him being a great power back ... but I don't see that. I see the BeastMode comparisons, and I see some of that, because they both have crazy elusive jumpcuts in the hole to avoid the big hits. Ajayi definitely runs through arm tackles ... but I don't see the power or pad level of a Marshawn Lynch, so as a 'punch it in' type back, I'm not sure he's dominant.

But, the versatility I see is something I really like. He is a smooth catcher of the ball, he secures it before he starts running, and he makes positive yardage. We can start using all of those RB screens that Lazor loves but couldn't use with Miller in the game. He can pass protect ... which we desperately need with our OL situation. Given that he can pass pro well, we can use delayed handoffs to him on 3rd downs. If he makes it into the secondary he can really cause havoc. What I see is the complete back we had in the brief glimpse we had of Moreno. This is a guy who opens up a lot of things for Lazor that we simply could not do last year. In the 5th round ... that's a steal. Just one contract? I'll take that for a 5th rounder in a heartbeat. Consider how many people want to trade a 5th for Evan Mathis who probably has only 3 years left. Here we're probably getting 5 years and a truckload of versatility. And a J-Train of talent.

He needs to secure the ball better when he runs, but that's true of many young RB's. I find it difficult to get too worked up about his durability when the health issue happened in 2011 and he hasn't missed a single game in 3 years afterwards. Go back and track our 5th round picks over the last decade ... yeah, this was a great pick.

I was a huge fan of Duke Johnson. He has a little AP in him when he runs, he might end up being the best of them all... I was rooting for Duke over Jtrain in day 2, but can't complain getting him in the 5th! Wasn't ever really a fan of Gordon, have a couple good years and then fall off due to size and durability just like jamal charles. If you're going to draft a rb in the top half of r1 he better be carrying the rock for years. Anyways i had Jay 3-5th ish

Going into the draft I had Ajayi ranked the third best running back in the draft.Gurley than Gordon with Ajayi as the only other possible first round pick.when he fell to the 5th and we got him I was in complete shock.
we got one of the top 3 WR and one of the top 3 RBs in the draft
whereid you have Ajayi ranked???

why the **** does it matter? even Mel Kiper doesn't know the medical truths.

Last edited by a moderator:
two words "Sergio Kindle" stop pretending you know already, it is sofa king annoying

How many RB's last long anyways?

I don't watch college football but from the little I've seen / read he looks like a great complimentary piece to RB group. I feel really good going to war with Miller, D. Williams, and Ajayi. All 3 possess different skills sets and can keep legs fresh.

Some guys are just medical freaks. Ajayi's story reminds me of DeJuan Blair (NBA player) coming out of the draft. He had no ACL's and guys panicked. So far he's enjoyed a nice career. Getting back to football there are a few guys who had unnatural knees. Thurman Thomas, Hines Ward, Jimmy Hitch****, John Elway, and even Broadway Joe Namath.

As a 5th round pick the Dolphins made a good bet. If he is a flash in the pan or never materializes so be it. It was still a great pick and a pick I'd like this franchise to make again and again. Get guys who can be impact players.

I had him as my 3rd behind the top 2. Tied in 3rd with Coleman.

I was beyond giddy when I checked my phone after watching Avengers 2 to see that we picked Bobby McCain and Jay Ajayi

You had him ahead of Gordon? What prompted that?

Superior physical tools. I never got the hype with Gordon, he was a top RB prospect in a number of draft classes, but at the end of the day he didn't have a superior physical trait that stuck out to me. He didn't have elite power, elite speed. He had great vision, fantastic and finding holes but to me he wasn't a first round prospect. To me a 1st round RB has some superior physical trait, and Gordon lacked it for me. It's in the high minority, but did a lot of homework on RB's and that was my takeaway, it's not an exact science.

I had him around 10-12. I think if he turns out to be productive on 3rd downs then it was worth a 5th. The Mich St cb is riskier I think.

1-Melvin Gordon 2- Todd Gurley 3- Tavis Coleman 4- Duke Johnson 5-Amir Abdullah 6-TJ Yeldon 7 Jay Ayaji 8- Jeremy Langford 9-Javoris Allen 10-Terrel Watson

3rd from the start.

I felt going back to January he would be the value runningback....and was thinking 3rd round would be a steal...figured he'd go in the 2nd.

I really thought the Cowboys would grab him at some point....was shocked and amazed we got him in the 5th.

Ajayi is a the first back in FBS history to have 1800+ yards rushing....and 500+ yards receiving....he is perfect for this offense.

I was asleep on this kid.....but how anyone could not have Gurley heads above the rest is beyond me.

I don't scout college players and I have never heard of him til we drafted him. I didn't realize we had so many scouts on this board.

Back
Top Bottom