Where Miami stands | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Miami stands

Fresh

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
When I saw Luther Head go #24, Simien became the guy I wanted. I was so happy to hear his name called at #29. I think he's gonna be a beast in a year or two if he stays healthy, but he's ready to contribute right now. He's got the body and experience to be able to come out & play right away. He gives us the extra insurance in case whoever we sign for the minimum to replace Laettner doesn't pan out. Simien is NBA ready with a great body & a hell of a heart. Now, there's no rush to split the MLE between a guard & forward, we can fully focus on a higher ranked PG now. If Damon Jones decides against opting out, they are going to tell him to. With the new CBA, we can sign an opted out Damon Jones to a 3-year/$9 million deal without breaking into the MLE. This is great news, because Damon can receive his 20% raise, and Miami would still have the MLE to spend. I don't know the exact numbers, but I believe our qualifying offer to Udonis Haslem will be around 5-years/$30 million. We can match any deal up to $7 million a year without breaking into the MLE, so basically...it's almost a sure thing to me that Udonis will be back. Keyon Dooling, Shandon Anderson, & Christian Laettner will probably wind up the only contributers who do not return. I'm gonna exclude Michael Finley from this, who looks like he'll definitely be waived. He'd be an option for the MLE, though. Dorell Wright will probably be sent to the NBDL.

Option #1: Sign Antonio Daniels to the MLE, Cliff Robinson & Jay Williams to the minimum. (my preference)
1-Daniels, Jones, Williams
2-Wade, Butler
3-Jones, Woods
4-Haslem, Robinson, Simien
5-Shaq, Zo, Doleac

Option #2: Split the MLE between Donyell Marshall & Earl Watson, use the trade exception to require Steve Blake.
1-Jones, Watson, Blake
2-Wade, Butler
3-Jones, Marshall, Woods
4-Haslem, Marshall, Simien
5-Shaq, Zo, Doleac
If not Marshall here, then Kwame Brown.

As you can see, there are really a load of options for us. Many people are talking about a package of Doleac & Butler being traded for Donyell Marshall or another player, and although that is not a lucrative package...the contracts & all make it all the more interesting. Trades like this go down all the time. Also, with the $3 million trade exception, we should be able to require a decent, young backup player like Steve Blake or somebody of that nature.

Once the Knicks cut Allen Houston I would bet a large sum of money he ends up in Miami.

In some circles its already being talked about like a done deal. You have Riley and a Van Gundy (granted not Jeff) in Miami. Houston is in with that group.

Nothing more than a spot shooter who will probably only give ya 40 games a year, but might be the type of guy who opens things up come playoff time for the Heat to advance deeper than they have got.

(and for those who don't know with the new CBA the Knicks caught a huge break and can cut this guy loose and lose nothing and pay almost nothing. Which was the reason for the Q trade)

Once the Knicks cut Allen Houston I would bet a large sum of money he ends up in Miami.

That would be a hige mistake, he can't play anymore. He was overrated when he could play but if he was Allan Houston of 5 years ago playing w/ Shaq next year he'd be a great fit but b/c of his injuries I think he's done. Maybe it's a risk worth taking but don't count on him.

nyjunc said:
That would be a hige mistake, he can't play anymore. He was overrated when he could play but if he was Allan Houston of 5 years ago playing w/ Shaq next year he'd be a great fit but b/c of his injuries I think he's done. Maybe it's a risk worth taking but don't count on him.

It wouldn't be a mistake, because he won't be signed for anything more than the minimum(Miami does not have a LLE to offer because they gave a 2-year deal to Wes Person last year at the LLE & bought his contract out early).

Miami won't consider him above the likes of Antonio Daniels, Bobby Simmons, SAR, Michael Finley, & the chance to split the MLE between two players.

Houston would be a solid addition at the minimum, to come in and be a role player.

Heat had a safe draft

These teams had the best draft

Portland - They came out with a fire trading down hours before the draft and then grabbing there guy Martell Webster then to top that all off they ended up getting jarrett jack who could end up beating out telfair for the starting job. Ricky Sanchez in the second was a little bit risky but is one of them gambles you have to take, Great Draft!
Charlotte - They really wanted to get either Chris Paul or Deron Williams but sticking with Felton could turn out to be the better move. They then got at the 13 spot which to many people and I is a mystery Sean Mays. Personally i thought they should of took Gerald Green or Antoine Wright. But May will prove all wrong and be an anchor for this team, [May might stay at pf and emeka might move either to SF or C, hes more athletic then may and is taller being 6''10 and 260 lbs.] Good Draft though!
Atlanta - Marvin Williams has more potential then anyone in this draft and getting him was a good idea. Then they end up getting salim stoudamire who may be the best shooter in the draft to play the pg position. Overall great draft for hawk fans everywhere!
Utah - They moved up to get there man Deron Williams who should anchor there team for years from the pg position. They come out in the second round and grab CJ Miles who is a really underrated SG coming out of highschool. Good Draft and they might have found two starters
New York - At #8 it was a no brainer to get Channing Frye to replace Kurt Thomas. Then they got Nate Robinson who could end up starting here and creating a fast pace offense with fresh young guys now. Then they get David Lee who was booed when picked but should be a solid guy coming off the bench.

I've said this before, but I still think the Heat should sign someone (besides Wade) who's not afraid to put their head down and slash to the basket. I'm tired of seeing the Heat become a one dimensional jump shooting team everytime Wade's out of the game.

Noodle Arm said:
I've said this before, but I still think the Heat should sign someone (besides Wade) who's not afraid to put their head down and slash to the basket. I'm tired of seeing the Heat become a one dimensional jump shooting team everytime Wade's out of the game.

Antonio Daniels........

If the Heat sign Daniels and manage to somehow get Finley....we would be home free....and the only thing left would be to find out who would be the opponent in the finals.

Section126 said:
Antonio Daniels........

If the Heat sign Daniels and manage to somehow get Finley....we would be home free....and the only thing left would be to find out who would be the opponent in the finals.

You guys have high hopes...lol Daniels is gonna sign with Cleveland

Cleveland could be contenders next year if they have a good free agency with players like Ray Allen, Daniels and Michael Redd all wanting to come here

Section126 said:
Antonio Daniels........

Don't get yer hopes ups. There's a good chance the Magic will land one or the other. :D

Buddwalk said:
You guys have high hopes...lol Daniels is gonna sign with Cleveland
Okay, thanks for your inside info, Steven A. Smith. :rolleyes2

As for Finley, we can't land both he & Daniels, but I'd be happy with either one of them. If we sign Finley, Wade is obviously going back to the 1 and DJ would come off the bench anyway, which makes us a far better team defensively(honestly, any way you get DJ to the bench makes you better defensively).

As it looks like the Lakers are going to cut Brian Grant with the new CBA, disregard what I said about Cliff Robinson. I'd rather have Grant come back for the minimum to share the spot with Simien until he's ready. Hey, the idea of Finley for the MLE, with Grant & Jay-Will for the minimum is intriguing to me. This would definitely present us the oppurtunity to mingle around with Butler/Doleac.

1-Wade, Jones, Williams
2-Jones, Butler
3-Finley, Woods
4-Haslem, Grant/Simien
5-O'Neal, Mourning, Doleac

Miralles stays overseas for another year, Wright to the NBDL. If the comfort level of Butler & Woods as the backup swings isn't appealing enough, we can bring in a guy like Anthony Peeler for the minimum as well(you can sign 3 guys to the minimum, I left one spot open). I definitely want to use one of those minimum spots on giving a chance to Jay Williams or Dajuan Wagner.

That is an excellent line-up.

This should be the official Heat offseason thread

FYI...

MIAMI HEAT
Round 1: Wayne Simien, PF, Kansas (No. 29)

Round 2: None

Analysis: When you're drafting at No. 29, you expect to get a role player. The Heat exceeded their own expectations, we're sure. Simien is an upgrade over last season's starting power forward, restricted free agent Udonis Haslem. If he can stay healthy, Simien could be a productive scorer and rebounder in Miami and serves as a great insurance policy should Haslem bolt in free agency. The Heat couldn't have done any better with their pick.

Grade: A

"Upgrade over last season's starting power forward" = a bold statement. But to me, if Wayne stays healthy, he'll definitely develop into a better player than Haslem. From what I've seen, Simien is like a more athletic version of Carlos Boozer.

2 Pistolz said:
Okay, thanks for your inside info, Steven A. Smith. :rolleyes2

As for Finley, we can't land both he & Daniels, but I'd be happy with either one of them. If we sign Finley, Wade is obviously going back to the 1 and DJ would come off the bench anyway, which makes us a far better team defensively(honestly, any way you get DJ to the bench makes you better defensively).

As it looks like the Lakers are going to cut Brian Grant with the new CBA, disregard what I said about Cliff Robinson. I'd rather have Grant come back for the minimum to share the spot with Simien until he's ready. Hey, the idea of Finley for the MLE, with Grant & Jay-Will for the minimum is intriguing to me. This would definitely present us the oppurtunity to mingle around with Butler/Doleac.

1-Wade, Jones, Williams
2-Jones, Butler
3-Finley, Woods
4-Haslem, Grant/Simien
5-O'Neal, Mourning, Doleac

Miralles stays overseas for another year, Wright to the NBDL. If the comfort level of Butler & Woods as the backup swings isn't appealing enough, we can bring in a guy like Anthony Peeler for the minimum as well(you can sign 3 guys to the minimum, I left one spot open). I definitely want to use one of those minimum spots on giving a chance to Jay Williams or Dajuan Wagner.

That is an excellent line-up.

Buddwalk does think that he knows it all.

Buddwalk said:
Heat had a safe draft

These teams had the best draft

Portland - They came out with a fire trading down hours before the draft and then grabbing there guy Martell Webster then to top that all off they ended up getting jarrett jack who could end up beating out telfair for the starting job. Ricky Sanchez in the second was a little bit risky but is one of them gambles you have to take, Great Draft!
Charlotte - They really wanted to get either Chris Paul or Deron Williams but sticking with Felton could turn out to be the better move. They then got at the 13 spot which to many people and I is a mystery Sean Mays. Personally i thought they should of took Gerald Green or Antoine Wright. But May will prove all wrong and be an anchor for this team, [May might stay at pf and emeka might move either to SF or C, hes more athletic then may and is taller being 6''10 and 260 lbs.] Good Draft though!
Atlanta - Marvin Williams has more potential then anyone in this draft and getting him was a good idea. Then they end up getting salim stoudamire who may be the best shooter in the draft to play the pg position. Overall great draft for hawk fans everywhere!
Utah - They moved up to get there man Deron Williams who should anchor there team for years from the pg position. They come out in the second round and grab CJ Miles who is a really underrated SG coming out of highschool. Good Draft and they might have found two starters
New York - At #8 it was a no brainer to get Channing Frye to replace Kurt Thomas. Then they got Nate Robinson who could end up starting here and creating a fast pace offense with fresh young guys now. Then they get David Lee who was booed when picked but should be a solid guy coming off the bench.

The knicks screwed up again, they traded a warrior in Kurt Thomas for another guy who wants the ball in his hands all the time. And Frye only average 7 rebounds a game in a center hungry College confrence! The Knicks keep screwing up more and more!

Which is fine with me!;)

Dorell Wright will start to factor in now, too. Don't forget about him. He will have practiced for 18 months.

Back
Top Bottom