Where Miami stands | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Where Miami stands

RWhitney014 said:
Dorell Wright will start to factor in now, too. Don't forget about him. He will have practiced for 18 months.

I think the pistol guy has that one right. Wright is going to spend a year learning how to shoot in the NBDL. The Heat will bring another guard in, and he would have to beat out Woods, EJ, Rasual, or the FA guard just to get on the active roster.

the Heat have even more depth now with another PF, this is how the depth chart looks to me:

PG - Jones, Dooling
SG - Wade, Smith (FA), Anderson (FA)
SF - Jones, Butler, Wright
PF - Haslem (FA), Simien, Laettner (FA)
C - O'Neal, Mourning, Doleac

the roster is likely to change as all of the players with the (FA) next to them are free agents and plus Miami is gonna have some FA additions. If Laettner is re-signed then I think he plays in front of Simien at the beginning of the season until Simien proves he is better then Laettner

Count me in as another elated Miami fan! Simien was a great pick! I sure hope we don't lose Haslem but the 5 yr, $33 mil max contract we can offer him is a fair contract for his skills, IMO. If he gets a ridiculous offer, we should let him walk and use the mid-level on other free-agents.

Donnyel Marshall, Jalen Rose, Michael Finley, and perhaps even Chris Webber may become available and (according to ESPN) they could all be had for the mid-level exemption.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
The knicks screwed up again, they traded a warrior in Kurt Thomas for another guy who wants the ball in his hands all the time. And Frye only average 7 rebounds a game in a center hungry College confrence! The Knicks keep screwing up more and more!

Which is fine with me!;)

The Knicks didn't have any height. They had all power forwards. Getting Frye was a good move. Robertson was also a good move. Their back-court is now Marbury, Crawford, Q-Rich, Robertson. Which isn't bad. The front-court will improve with Sweetney and now Frye. The team still has holes and they will go sign another center, but they had a very good draft.

Kurt Thomas may be a warrior, but he is older now and will start to slow down. He had to be moved anyway as he didn't get along with anyone in the lockerrom.

I still think Charlotte and New Jersey had the best drafts

Buddwalk said:
Heat had a safe draft

These teams had the best draft

Portland - They came out with a fire trading down hours before the draft and then grabbing there guy Martell Webster then to top that all off they ended up getting jarrett jack who could end up beating out telfair for the starting job. Ricky Sanchez in the second was a little bit risky but is one of them gambles you have to take, Great Draft!
Charlotte - They really wanted to get either Chris Paul or Deron Williams but sticking with Felton could turn out to be the better move. They then got at the 13 spot which to many people and I is a mystery Sean Mays. Personally i thought they should of took Gerald Green or Antoine Wright. But May will prove all wrong and be an anchor for this team, [May might stay at pf and emeka might move either to SF or C, hes more athletic then may and is taller being 6''10 and 260 lbs.] Good Draft though!
Atlanta - Marvin Williams has more potential then anyone in this draft and getting him was a good idea. Then they end up getting salim stoudamire who may be the best shooter in the draft to play the pg position. Overall great draft for hawk fans everywhere!
Utah - They moved up to get there man Deron Williams who should anchor there team for years from the pg position. They come out in the second round and grab CJ Miles who is a really underrated SG coming out of highschool. Good Draft and they might have found two starters
New York - At #8 it was a no brainer to get Channing Frye to replace Kurt Thomas. Then they got Nate Robinson who could end up starting here and creating a fast pace offense with fresh young guys now. Then they get David Lee who was booed when picked but should be a solid guy coming off the bench.

You might want put Boston in there. They got Green who could have gone #3 and Gomes who has first round talent - both kids can play.. Ainge had another superb draft.

Indiana, Utah and Boston has the best drafts IMO

NJFINSFAN1 said:
The knicks screwed up again, they traded a warrior in Kurt Thomas for another guy who wants the ball in his hands all the time. And Frye only average 7 rebounds a game in a center hungry College confrence! The Knicks keep screwing up more and more!

Which is fine with me!;)

Yea.. they're gonna be in some rough shape for some time to come. No direction, stupid moves left and right..

2 Pistolz said:
FYI...

"Upgrade over last season's starting power forward" = a bold statement. But to me, if Wayne stays healthy, he'll definitely develop into a better player than Haslem. From what I've seen, Simien is like a more athletic version of Carlos Boozer.

Make a new thread for that (o/s heat talk) because this thread got jacked up a bit..

I think the heat had a good draft they added solid depth to a need position(IMO) at PF.

FiN.in.RI said:
Yea.. they're gonna be in some rough shape for some time to come. No direction, stupid moves left and right..

I agree, they need toughness, Thomas gave that to him. Yes Frye gives them height, but he is not a rebounder. Getting (can't think of his name at the moment) in the Thomas deal gives them three guys that want the ball in their hands at all time (Marbury and Crawford being the other two).

I Thomas has no clue what he is doing!

FiN.in.RI said:
Make a new thread for that (o/s heat talk) because this thread got jacked up a bit..

I think the heat had a good draft they added solid depth to a need position(IMO) at PF.

Yes the Heat had a good draft, that kid will help them.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Yes the Heat had a good draft, that kid will help them.
he might start if Haslem decides to leave for more money and I bet that Laettner will be gone because he's a FA and might get to start somewhere else

nick1 said:
he might start if Haslem decides to leave for more money and I bet that Laettner will be gone because he's a FA and might get to start somewhere else

I don't think Laettner will start anywhere, I think the only teams he can possibly start on are bad teams and they would be more likely to give a young guy a shot to start. He should stay and help provide some depth for you guys.

nyjunc said:
I don't think Laettner will start anywhere, I think the only teams he can possibly start on are bad teams and they would be more likely to give a young guy a shot to start. He should stay and help provide some depth for you guys.

it sure is crowded down low now...besides..he was thinking about retiring...

SHAQ, ZO, HASLEM, SIMIEN, DOLEAC, LAETTNER.

Section126 said:
it sure is crowded down low now...besides..he was thinking about retiring...

SHAQ, ZO, HASLEM, SIMIEN, DOLEAC, LAETTNER.
thats some sweet depth :D

nick1 said:

I hope you mean Haslem being able to start elsewhere, because Laettner? Never again.

If a team is willing to pay Haslem more than the $6-7 million a year Miami can match without breaking into their MLE, hey...power to you. I sure as hell hope we wouldn't be dumb enough to match that. I love Haslem, because I admire the scrappy players who give their all. But seriously, he's not worth more than $3-5 million a year, but in a ridiculously overpaid league that has Brian Cardinal making $5-6 million a year, he may snatch a bit more than that.

I honestly believe that Simien will eventually take over as the PF even with Haslem here, if he stays healthy. Definitely not in October-November, but I wouldn't doubt it happening later in the year. 2006-2007 is more likely, though...

Back
Top Bottom