Which Rook Impressed You?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CRIOS, Aug 9, 2018.

1. CRIOS

CRIOS Formerly: A&O Finheaven VIP Donator

To pick just one is not too difficult. For me it's #33 Kalen Ballage. This guy will make the roster- if he doesn't fumble it again. LOL.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    John813 likes this.
  2. joenhre

joenhre Starter Finheaven VIP Donator

Fitzpatrick, Baker and Ballage.

Since you said just one. I will go with Baker.

3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Ford isnt a rookie, but he got badly hurt last year so I will count him - not only will he make the 53, he will make it onto the field. Also nice to see Baker make a few plays after a quiet offseason

4. TedSlimmJr

TedSlimmJr Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

Minkah Fitzpatrick became the best tackler on Miami's defense the instant his name was announced on draft day.

He'll be the best player on Miami's roster pretty quick. Hell he may already be. I wish the young man nothing but the best of health.

He'll handle the rest.

Racefan99, jason37, jc4005 and 17 others like this.
  5. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

Yup. Minkah, hands down IMO.

jason37, Ray R, Michael Scott and 3 others like this.
  6. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase Finheaven VIP

Stop getting me excited Slimm. I’m doing that enough myself.

I told myself I was gonna be cool on Minkah and let it play out but as soon as he stepped on that field I saw and could tell he was the best player on the team. He’s gonna be an all pro for a long time.

Ray R, Mr. Day, outlawd2u and 3 others like this.
  7. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

Minkah minkah minkah. I was definitely a proponent for Derwin James before the draft but it’s clear we got a smart, physical tackler in the defensive backfield, someone who pairs very well with Reshad Jones. He will make an immediate impact.

Ballage was excellent too. All around player, picked up a blitz well and ran tough. He knows what he’s up against in terms of making the team vs Drake and Gore, went a little too hard tonight, but I think RB won’t be a concern for at least a few years so long as he’s on the squad.

Ray R and Superself like this.
  8. TarHeelFinFan

TarHeelFinFan Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire

Ballage was always going to make the team. Teams don’t cut 4th rounders as rookies. The question is whether or not he can take carries away from the co starters.

Vaark and outlawd2u like this.
  9. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

For sure, too talented not to. Just meant he’s going to have to prove his worth to get touches this year and he will get them for sure. I’m very excited to see him play this year and beyond.

Ray R likes this.
  10. CRIOS

True.

11. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

Yea he's making the roster even if he fumbles again. He's locked in.

On topic. Fitz impressed me most for sure. Kid is gonna be worth all the money.

Ray R likes this.
  12. CRIOS

I know...

13. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

Fitzpatrick.

Showed he is versatile (took a bunch of snaps at both S and CB) and showed he has the range to play free safety in the NFL. That's what I needed to see, and I saw it.

Ray R, Vaark, crumpdaddy and 4 others like this.
  14. ANMoore

ANMoore Well-Known Member

Minkah certainly the most impressive but I liked what we saw from Ballage. Kareem hunt fumbled on his first drive last year and you saw what happened :cigar

Michael Scott likes this.
  15. KTDolphins

KTDolphins You have made me angry very angry indeed

Gesicki is an elite talent, and we almost don't deserve him. I just hope we can get him the ball in the appropriate window.

Ray R and GUH-sick-EE like this.
  16. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Minkah i expected to look good as well as Ballage, both will be good players for us. The lack of tight end production is concerning to me though. I am on record as saying we picked the wrong one in round 2, I hope Mike proves me wrong.

17. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

Minkah the next big thing at safety, I'm drinking the kool-aid putting some extra scoops to make it sweeter, might just buy me a kiddie pool, fill it up with the kool aid and splash around in it.

[​IMG]

srp1979, Ray R, tay0365 and 3 others like this.
  18. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

Yes, and he looked identical to college. Arizona State plays almost exclusively night games so fans in the East see that team even less than the typical Pac 12 program. Intriguing player but like Drake he was never trusted with high volume carries in college, which is discouraging given the obvious ability. He has had fumbling issues but the Sun Devils recovered most of them. I remember once it saved a wager for me.

19. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

Oh, yeah, we do!

Ray R and spiketex like this.
  20. Csonked Out

Gesicki has elite athletic ability. there is a difference.

21. Superself

Superself If you want to, we can supply you. Finheaven VIP

Based on what exactly? Did you just crawl from out under a rock somewhere and missed all of Gesicki's highlight reel TD catches throughout camp?

Seriously how did you come to the conclusion that Gesick is the wrong TE. He is one of the bright spots of our entire damn camp!!

22. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

Elite talent or elite athletic ability... explain how that's different because im not seeing it

Ray R likes this.
  23. GUH-sick-EE

GUH-sick-EE Well-Known Member

Minkah is the REAL ****IN DEAL, nuff said. He wins by a mile.

Most surprising was Baker; thought it'd be midseason before we started seeing him on the field, but he looks a lot better than Anthony right now, imo.

Gesicki isn't the world's worst blocker! He must've been sick of hearing all those media takes. Even saw him at the second level.

Also, this:

Studio_20180810_005558.jpg

Most disappointing was McMillan, sadly. He didn't play much, but what I saw definitely didn't wow me :/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 1:08 AM
    Ray R and fininpsl like this.
  24. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

Elite athletic ability are players like Matt Jones 6'6 240 lbs ran a 4.3 had a 39 inch vertical and was a bust who was out of the league at 25.

Anquan Boldin was not an exceptional athlete...dude wasn't all that big ran a 4.7 had a low vertical at 33 inches, didn't have great quickness but in his prime he was an elite talent or pretty damn close.

Travis34, BobDole and Classic like this.
  25. Classic

Classic Well-Known Member

Hopefully Gesicki fits both elite athletic ability and talent then

Ray R likes this.
  26. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek Finheaven VIP

Yup. Matt Jones was a combine phenom guy who wasn't the brightest bulb. His head was never in it.

https://amp/s/deadspin.com/5023812/matt-jones-the-cocaine-wont-make-you-faster-son/amp

Put Anquan's heart in Jones' body ... watch out.

27. FinfanInBuffalo

FinfanInBuffalo Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Gesicki based on the potential of that pass that Fales missed and due to the fact that we have missed that type of player for so long.

miamiron, GUH-sick-EE and Ray R like this.
  28. Dajesus

Dajesus A True Fan Donator

Hands down Minkah, as he was in on nearly every play. He was exactly as advertised.

Baker was 2nd for me mostly because we need a starting LB more than a 3rd Rb. The reports out of camp have been he is small and not impactful. Well when pads came on that was erased. He didn’t play small, and was impactful behind the line on moultiple plays. I can’t wait to see more of him.

29. Csonked Out

I dont really care about highlight real catches to be honest. I watched every game of Goederts the last 2 years and almost every game of Mike's last year. i have been on record for well over a year that I viewed Goedert as the best and most complete tight end in the draft. Its not just the run blocking that I like, it's the toughness. and also the route running that Goedert I felt was better at. I just thought he was the better football player at the draft.

I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong, but at this point all Mike is really is a red zone threat. The concern I have is whether he will ever be more than that. Goedert has been balling since day 1, it's just something that I am going to continue to watch very closely.

30. FSU Truth

FSU Truth Taggart is my Homeboy Finheaven VIP

What impresses me the most is the fact that we can actually have a choice between players. Typically the question is "Did the rookies play?", but now we are trying to figure out which one we felt looked the best. Says something about the draft.

This is a hard choice, but I'm going with Minkah because of sample size. He looks like a vet back there, that pass break up is one we don't get in the past.

Gesicki is going to be a lot of fun to watch...that ball was uncatchable for any player, but he still almost made a play on it. Not only that, he beat his man off the line.

31. Csonked Out

Many athletes get by in college because of how athletic they are, especially at the tight end position. Gavin Escobar and Eric Ebron are 2 great examples of that. They were simply bigger and faster than others and got away with it. That usually doesn't translate to the NFL though if the other skill sets of the position dont improve. The ability to get loose off the press and not get out muscles at the line of scrimmage, blocking techniques, and route running are all just as important imho.Goedert is simply the more polished tight end right now and it is clearly showing in his camp and production. Mike can be really good if he develops more but right now all he is really is a red zone threat. Hopefully he works his butt off and the rest comes.

Classic likes this.
  32. Csonked Out

Minkah will be awesome from a communication aspect as well. Hes the kind of guy that can bring an entire secondary together because of his football IQ. Hell, the guy played 3 different positions last night I think as a damn rookie in preseason game 1. I dont ever remember a player doing that so quickly.

Ray R and Superself like this.
  33. SuperMarksBros.

SuperMarksBros. Formerly Fiedler for MVP

Fitzpatrick is obvious and expected. Ballage wasn't perfect but I loved him getting to the corner past the DB on the early run, then that ridiculous leap. Not worried about the fumble, i don't think he fumbled once last year in college.

Baker was everywhere. Loved it.

Ray R likes this.
  34. Csonked Out

Boldin was such a good route runner, a joy to watch and one of my favorite players. Landry could have been a copy of him if he could run routes like Boldin but very few can.

35. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Baker is my choice cuz all i heard was how he sucked from alot of draft gurus. He was good

Ray R and Classic like this.
  36. ShorePhin

ShorePhin A True Fan

Fitz is the easy answer especially since at one point he single handedly stopped a drive on his own. But my vote is Baker considering all the sports pundits said squat about him in camp and he was an after thought. He represents depth at a needed position guy is fast as stink and can tackle even if he is light in the ***. Maybe one of those guys that practices like **** but when the lights come on and its showtime guy steps up.

Ray R and Classic like this.
  37. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Fitz and Getscki ...

He had a touchdown should Fales throw a decent ball. I think we'll be seeing a lot of that.

Ray R likes this.
  38. finfanatl

finfanatl Well-Known Member

I was expecting great things from Fitzpatrick, so I wasn't surprised.
    The guy that was a pleasant surprise was Baker.
    Amazing speed for a LB and looked like he was in on almost every play.
    A lot of the rookies impressed though.

1972fins and Ray R like this.
  39. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan Donator

I though all the key draft picks flashed. Minkah was the most obvious talent, but almost all this years draft picks looked good at times. Last years too. I expected Minkah to play well, so I think I was most pleasantly surprised with Ballage. Outside of the fumble he played like a vet, picking up blitzes, showing decent vision, and playing well in the passing game. Our front office has filled the roster out pretty damn well. Tough cuts this year. It remains to be seen if we have enough top level talent to be serious playoff contenders for more, but IMHO we have more than 53 NFL players in camp for the first time in a long time which should help in late November or December.

Edit: Honorable mention to Buddy Howell out of FAU who looked good for an UDFA who didn't even start in college. He has no shot of making the 53, but if he keeps it up he may end up on the PS. Nice job kid.

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  40. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

It's not his blocking in general that's a concern, it's his blitz pickups and recognition.