Which Surprise Starter Could Emerge for Every NFL Team in 2020? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which Surprise Starter Could Emerge for Every NFL Team in 2020?

Finfan83nj

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Article from Bleacher Report. Cannot share link for some reason so heres the Miami Dolphins part.

Miami Dolphins: S Brandon Jones
20 of 32

1. 9dc720e07805e76e721d39e16014980b_crop_exact.jpg

Eric Gay/Associated Press
    The Miami Dolphins revamped their secondary this offseason, making Byron Jones the NFL's highest-paid cornerback opposite Xavien Howard and drafting Noah Igbinoghene in the first round and Brandon Jones in the third.
    The flexibility head coach Brian Flores has within this group is outstanding, so drafting a prospect like Jones shouldn't come as a surprise.
    Jones is listed as a safety, but he found his niche a year ago when the Texas Longhorns staff primarily used him to cover the slot.
    As Pro Football Focus noted, Jones took at least 154 snaps in the box, as the free safety or over the slot. This year's 70th overall pick should find a way onto the field even though he wasn't the first defensive back Miami drafted.

The days of 2 CB's and 2 S's are over.

You are going to see more hoops style DB match ups with guys tasked with the slot WR or the TE as opposed to being called a CB or a S.

The Fins play a ton of man to man(among the highest % in the league last year) so a proper center fielding FS is not needed as much.

A legit run stopping SS(or small LB)should still be needed though.

I would think that Jones playing so much over the slot at Texas was not lost on Miami and may have been the main factor in drafting him as high as they did, while passing on all the other top S prospects.

The kid is supposed to have excellent leadership qualities as well and might be the boss of the secondary before we know it.
There’s been a lot of Patrick Chung comparisons thrown out there by different analysts, in how we use him. I like the pick, although I didn’t know anything about him prior to the draft.

Jones apparently has a very high football IQ. It wouldn't surprise me, if he becomes an intricle part of the Secondary early on. He seems to be a jack of all trades type, who can move all over the defense. The best part about that is, he won't whine about it!!!

There’s been a lot of Patrick Chung comparisons thrown out there by different analysts, in how we use him. I like the pick, although I didn’t know anything about him prior to the draft.

Probably a better athlete than Chung but not as physical.

But I do think he may play more slot CB than actual FS, at least early in his career.

I think Flores is going to try to match up with slot guys and TE's with more man to man sets than using 2 traditional safeties.

Probably a better athlete than Chung but not as physical.

But I do think he may play more slot CB than actual FS, at least early in his career.

I think Flores is going to try to match up with slot guys and TE's with more man to man sets than using 2 traditional safeties.

I agree, not quite the same as Chung but definitely in that light as far as role. And for the Minkah comparisons; Jones actually gives a **** about tackling. He is imo the best tackling DB of this past draft. Minkah is a better center fielder but with a match up defense there really isn’t a defined role outside of CB. The way those defenses are typically run is have good/great cover CBs then let the rest of the 8/9 guys match up to fit the personnel they are facing.

Flo’s vision is to be versatile and be able to gameplay each week to attack strengths and force you to your backup plan. He is starting to get those pieces, if Jones and Howard stay healthy this defense will get a lot of ability to roam and attack the ball.

Back
Top Bottom