Which WR is this a description of? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which WR is this a description of?

Originally posted by ZOD

Yes I do. That's is why I'm in hopes that the first round group forces someone down further than they would have been say....last year.

I was viewing that list of receivers (their times and college performance) this morning and I wouldn't be disappointed with some of the guys that were projected for the third.

Ernest Wilford
Keary Colbert
Johnnie Morant
Jerricho Cotchery
Triandos Luke
*Derrick Hamilton
Bernard Berrian
D.J. Hackett
*P.K. Sam

It's not a bad group and I don't know why some of the dumbasses are coming out early.

I really like Colbert, Morant, Hamilton, and Sam. I think any of them would give us a really nice group of guys behind C & B.

"We should sign Ogun, lock up Chambers, and then see what falls to us in the draft."

I don't think this will happen in the next week, but I'm feelin' ya brother. Now we are just tripping everything up with what if this happens and suppose this is assuming that, and on and on...

I think for sure he's talking about someone like Evans but like he said, everyone's looking for someone like that.

Ozzy rules!!

Originally posted by TeeMoney
"We should sign Ogun, lock up Chambers, and then see what falls to us in the draft."

I don't think this will happen in the next week, but I'm feelin' ya brother. Now we are just tripping everything up with what if this happens and suppose this is assuming that, and on and on...

Yeah, but isn't it fun! :lol:

Originally posted by Frayser

I really like Colbert, Morant, Hamilton, and Sam. I think any of them would give us a really nice group of guys behind C & B.

Not directing this at you, but at the 3rd round WR's. With this being a deep class of WR's, the point is you can get a top receiver (in any other year) for a mid-late 1st round pick. Those 3rd round guys sound fine, but I'm assuming Miami is going WR 1st round.

Not directing this at you, but at the 3rd round WR's. With this being a deep class of WR's, the point is you can get a top receiver (in any other year) for a mid-late 1st round pick. Those 3rd round guys sound fine, but I'm assuming Miami is going WR 1st round.

I think the point Zod was trying to make earlier is that, in a deep WR draft like this, ALL rounds are effected. There's going to be first round talent (Woods, Clayton, Jenkins) going in the second. Some of these guys in the third could very well have been second rounders any other year. Like he said, Chambers was a second rounder. I just don't see any reason for us to go for the homerun at WR in the draft. Chambers and Boston are going to be great. Our typical sets are going to involve McMichael and Lee more than our third WR. So why use our only pick in the first two rounds on that? Too many people are trying to say we should do it simply because the draft is deep at the position. That's not necessarily the correct way to think about it. Yes, if Reggie were to fall for us, I think that line of thinking would make perfect sense. But, like I said earlier, we are going to get great looks at guys at other positions who should have been off the board. In the end, I think they will probably help us more than an Evans or Woods would (not that I don't think those guys are studs).

" Chambers and Boston are going to be great."

I think there are many people who would debate this.

" Too many people are trying to say we should do it simply because the draft is deep at the position. That's not necessarily the correct way to think about it. Yes, if Reggie were to fall for us, I think that line of thinking would make perfect sense."

Try that again?

" we are going to get great looks at guys at other positions who should have been off the board."

The point is that there is EXCEPTIONAL talent at WR, not that a few guys are going to get bumped down to our pick. Also, Spielman has done this in the past (taken BPA as WR, even though he had two good starting WR's). WR is a skill position that requires uncommon talent for a player to become great. I am of the conviction that you pick skill positions with your top pick- don't reach for need. I think Miami has a rare opportunity to aquire exceptional talent at a position that they have had difficulty advancing past adequacy. Anyone picked after the top 5 picks is going to be a back-up and they will have to move up the depth chart. I think a WR would have the best opportunity to move up that depth chart, this year.

Why do you guys think we won't employ a fair amount of 3 WR sets? I know Dave said that a few weeks ago, but before the draft you cant take anything as fact...even Spiel might be bluffing about not taking any Defense in the 1rst. Collier never said what he intended to do with the O, just that he likes to exploit mismatches that he creates. Maybe we wont employ 3 WR set often, but who knows but Collier...Hell, DW cant even remember his conversations with Wayne from January so who knows if he remembers or knows what Collier has said...lol

i would like to say a fair amount of 3 wr sets. However, it all depends on who were playin, i think the 3 wr set can help make our o less predictable

Outside, inside, run after the catch, big playmaker...IMO, Rick's talking about Lee Evans.

" Chambers and Boston are going to be great."

I think there are many people who would debate this.

" Too many people are trying to say we should do it simply because the draft is deep at the position. That's not necessarily the correct way to think about it. Yes, if Reggie were to fall for us, I think that line of thinking would make perfect sense."

Try that again?

" we are going to get great looks at guys at other positions who should have been off the board."

The point is that there is EXCEPTIONAL talent at WR, not that a few guys are going to get bumped down to our pick. Also, Spielman has done this in the past (taken BPA as WR, even though he had two good starting WR's). WR is a skill position that requires uncommon talent for a player to become great. I am of the conviction that you pick skill positions with your top pick- don't reach for need. I think Miami has a rare opportunity to aquire exceptional talent at a position that they have had difficulty advancing past adequacy. Anyone picked after the top 5 picks is going to be a back-up and they will have to move up the depth chart. I think a WR would have the best opportunity to move up that depth chart, this year.

Try what again? You seem to not be understanding the point. Do we NEED first round talent at wide receiver? I think the overwhelming majority of people would say NO. Move up what depth chart? To where? The 3rd wide receiver spot? We've got adequate guys to compete there as it stands. If you're thinking for the future, I can understand. But still, future-wise . . . DT, OL, LB, or S would be wiser picks. You are completely ignoring my point that "exceptional" talent at THOSE positions will be available when we pick.

The "exceptional" talent at WR stops at Reggie Williams if you ask me. Yes, I like Lee Evans. Yes, I like RaShaun Woods. But there's no reason to think that they will be "exceptional." Lee Evans is another Chambers. Picking him would basically be saying to Chris, "we're not signing you after the season." We have two exceptional wide receivers already. Why not lock Chambers up and use our first on a more pressing area?

If we disagree, we disagree. But from the way you responded, it seems like you are not seeing my point. I think Harris/Wilfork/Dockett & Colbert/Morant/Hamilton would help this team out a lot more than Evans/Woods & a third round DT. I'm just using DT as an example. We HAVE the exceptional receivers we need. I'm not worried about that. Why doesn't anyone feel like giving Thompson/Tolver/Minnis a chance? Meanwhile, it's questionable as to whether our offensive line is ANY better . . . and our defense is another season older.

I think Rick is describing whoever he ends up picking. Watch him describe the WR he picks at any draft position and I bet he uses most of the same phrases.

ZOD said:
SSHhhh.....

I think that maybe SCOUTS INC.

:foundout:

Thanks for the compliment........................

That was MY writeup...............that is MY opinion.

Thanks for the compliment again....... :)

ZOD said:
Dave has said that he likes to keep Konrad in because it forces the defense to keep a linebacker in.

Considering that comment and the likes of Randy McMichael and a impressive young Donald Lee and I kind of wonder why in the hell we would waste the 20 pick on a WR.
(

I completely agree. You don't use your 1st round pick on a player that may see 20% of the snaps unless you have no other holes...

IMO, OL, LB, and DT are all bigger needs than WR.

Back
Top Bottom