Which WR is this a description of? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Which WR is this a description of?

Originally posted by TeeMoney
Miami has weapons with McMichael and Konrad, but I don't think Miami has a good #3 receiver with the speed to threaten and open up the Defense. Miami also needs a KR/PR badly. This is a great year for WR and Miami can possibly pick up a top 10 pick WR at 20 because of the depth at that position.

Terrence Wilkins 4.43 in the forty. It's time to coach players up to their ability. People are saying that we have the best available (coach) for that position.

I'd say it's still a waste. Hell, I'm looking forward to a big name receiver dropping to us in the third. Reports are that 9 of these guys would go in the first round of a normal draft. That should mean that we can pick up a second rounder in the third.

Chris Chambers was a second rounder. :D

" It's time to coach players up to their ability."

He's been in the NFL for 6 years. The first 2 years with the Colts were ?decent? and he's done practically nothing since. He has 3 PR/KR TD's. He was a decent pick up to try for the KR/PR duties but as a #3 receiver? Only if you're high on pcp.

"Chris Chambers was a second rounder."

We have no 2nd rounder this year (yet?). :tongue:

5. Lee Evans (Wis.)
Physical Statistics: 5-10 / 197
40 Yard Dash Time Official/Reported: 4.43 (Official), 4.31 (Unofficial) 4.02 short shuttle, a 6.74
three-cone drill and an 11.47 60-yard shuttle.

ANALYSIS: Lee Evans had a major knee injury in spring practice to miss all of the 2002 season,
he has since come back with a vengeance. Had been arrested for marijuana possession in 2002,
but there was not a shred of evidence that he had smoked any as he was tested immediately and
did not even test positive for second hand smoke. Although some publications have named him as
a player with character issues, careful research will reveal that he is a beloved and respected
player by teammates and coaches. Lee Evans has a soft appearance but is actually solidly built
with good upper body muscular development. He has taken to the weight room since his injury
and has made it a point to train his calves and thighs to hopefully prevent lower body injuries.
Lee Evans is an excellent route runner with a host of moves to sell corner backs on every single
route possible. He varies speeds very well and is explosive off of his cuts as he does give the
appearance of bolting out on the out route as he turns and plants and drives toward the sideline
better than any receiver in this draft. Dangerous with his double move, Lee Evans is a playmaker
in every sense of the word. Evans makes plays all over the field from anywhere on the field as his
route running alone creates separation combined with his natural speed. Lee Evans has been very
productive when healthy at Wisconsin, and he has shown a propensity to make the impossible
catch. Excellent tuck mechanics to go with superb pass receiving skills, make Lee Evans an
instant quarterback favorite. Evans can really make any quarterback look good. Evans is a very
aware football player that is always where the scheme places him. His routes are very precise. Fluid
and smooth, Lee Evans can lull you to sleep with his slow-looking glide and then just grab
position to catch the deep pass on you. Lee Evans should be a threat for the big play at the next
level. Evans is a rather weak blocker or is just disinterested in doing that work. Lee Evans
employs his hands to defeat bump/press coverage very well, although he has a tendency to get
tangled with the defender when he should be releasing to the outside if impeded. Quick enough
to correct any re-routing that occurs, Lee Evans should be adequate at getting past bump/press
coverage in the NFL. A solid runner in space, Evans is more explosive than elusive. He won’t
shake you, but he will out run you and is not easily tracked. Evans does not show an ability to
break many tackles although he is considered very strong for his size. Tough as nails, you cannot
keep Lee Evans from catching it over the middle. He sometimes takes over the game and is very
reliable on third down as he finds the open spots in the zone rather quickly. Lee Evans plays with
passion and confidence. No stranger to the one handed catch, Evans can elevate above a
defender, but he was rarely used in that capacity (fade routes). Evans creates space with excellent use of his
hands and speed. He should be productive at the next level. Although his size is not ideal, Lee
Evans is a sure fire 1st round pick, and he does compare favorably to a Laverneous Coles.

Last edited by a moderator:
&
"Chris Chambers was a second rounder."

We have no 2nd rounder this year (yet?). :tongue:

"Reports are that 9 of these guys would go in the first round of a normal draft. That should mean that we can pick up a second rounder in the third."

The implication is that we should be able to pick up a "normal" number 2 with a number 3. Then again our number three isn't very good. :(

So we could pick up a negative rounder in the first? OMG we are RICH BIoTCH... Silly.

As I see it, there's only two reasons why we would take a WR in the first this year:

1) Reggie Williams falls to us (which is a very interesting idea if the 49ers do indeed trade down).

2) We do not intend to sign Chambers after the season (which I think would be a horrible mistake).

We are not going to use the third wide receiver enouh to justify picking one under any other circumstance, in my opinion. Despite the horrible year last year, Thompson might be very effective there. Plus, we have Tolver and Minnis.

This draft is deep at WR . . . no doubt. It is probably the deepest ever. But that also means impact players at OTHER positions are going to be falling more than they typically would. If four or five WRs are taken before us, we're going to get some decent looks at guys that should have been off the board WELL before our pick.

Add to all of this the fact that there is a good chance teams ahead of us (or who might move ahead of us) are going to be battling each other for RBs, and we could find ourselves looking at an absolute STEAL with the #20 pick.

Just imagine if all of these guys are taken before us: Fitz, Roy, Reggie, Mike, possibly Evans, Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones, and possibly Greg Jones (although unlikely). That's 6-8 guys (by my count) at only TWO positions taken before us. Who knows who might drop to us under those circumstances?

They say 1983 was the richest QB draft class ever. Now they say 2004 could be the richest WR draft class ever.

Something interesting I just looked up.

1983 1ST ROUND
John Elway Colts Stanford
Todd Blackledge Chiefs Penn State
Jim Kelly Bills Miami (FL)
Tony Eason Patriots Illinois
Ken O'Brien Jets California-Davis
Dan Marino Dolphins Pittsburgh

Not another QB was taken until the fifth round.

Jeff Christensen Bengals Eastern Illinois

I think the plethora of excellent WR's is the excuse used for Andrews falling to us. Also, I don't think RB's are the prime pick as they used to be, the quality there is on a decline over years (I mean 1st round picks). Anyway, you don't want to get some of the WR luv this year?

"I think that maybe SCOUTS INC."

No, it's not from Scouts Inc. They kinda hammer Evans for injury concerns and a history of smoking the wacky weed. However, they give him a 93 ranking and say he has the strongest (wtf?) hands in this draft class lacking size w/ELITE speed. ELITE DAMNIT :mdfin:

Anyway, you don't want to get some of the WR luv this year?

Yes I do. That's is why I'm in hopes that the first round group forces someone down further than they would have been say....last year.

I was viewing that list of receivers (their times and college performance) this morning and I wouldn't be disappointed with some of the guys that were projected for the third.

Ernest Wilford
Keary Colbert
Johnnie Morant
Jerricho Cotchery
Triandos Luke
*Derrick Hamilton
Bernard Berrian
D.J. Hackett
*P.K. Sam

It's not a bad group and I don't know why some of the dumbasses are coming out early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the plethora of excellent WR's is the excuse used for Andrews falling to us. Also, I don't think RB's are the prime pick as they used to be, the quality there is on a decline over years (I mean 1st round picks). Anyway, you don't want to get some of the WR luv this year?

I think you are right about the RBs, but that does not mean teams aren't still going to battle over the top rated guys. The Lions could very well take Jackson with the #6 pick (although that would be a stretch). I could also see the Pats moving up to take him (especially if Taylor is taken at #5). That would leave the Broncos Kevin Jones at #17. Then things would really start to get interesting. Do the Eagles trade up with the Niners to pick Jones ahead of Denver? What about the Cowboys and Pats/Lions? I think there is a good chance that at least Jackson and Jones are gone before we pick. If things get absolutely crazy, Greg Jones could be gone too. People are calling him a stretch for the 1st, but he is an incredible back in my opinion. He was outperforming McGahee before getting hurt two years ago, and his senior bowl performance was just plain SICK.

My original point was simply that the WR/RB runs ahead of us could leave us with some great choices at #20 (like you said regarding Andrews falling to us). I would not be horribly upset if we picked Evans (or even Woods), but I don't necessarily think it would be the BEST pick. We should sign Ogun, lock up Chambers, and then see what falls to us in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom