whitner or allen is smart pick for # 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

whitner or allen is smart pick for # 16

uga3406

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
i come to think more and more about this, but here is why i think Donte Whitner or Jason Allen would be a good pick for us at 16. 1st off we need a saftey and nothing aganist bell and tillman , they did a good job last year but we need to bring in fresh blood. We need some one young back there. Whitner is very quick and i have watched him vs the likes of michigan and purdue and nd this year and he seems like he is everywhere on that field. We could use him. As far as Allen goes being a georgia fan i saw a lot of him. This guy rushes the qb and gets quite a bit of sacks and is a good tackler. He had 9 solos vs georgia and a sack this year i believe. To get either one of these guys on draft day would vastly improve our phins immediately. I look foward to sat.

I completely agree with you.

Most people on this board assume since we made some recent free agent pickups that the secondary is no longer a pressing issue (they think the same thing about the left tackle too). They are wrong. The free agent pickups are mostly underachievers, not necessarily solid everyday players. In my mind, the secondary was the premier problem last year (besides QB), and still is.
A guy like Whitner or Allen is likely to be the BPA available in my opinion, and they woulld fill a need position. In fact, the only people I have rated higher would be Justice, Young, or Ngata (if they dropped to us). I like Allen better, but I understand he would rather play corner than safety. Whitner is more of a true safety, but I'm slightly concerned he could be a one-hit wonder at Ohio State because he didn't start for a few years.
I'd take Allen in a heartbeat at 16. I have a feeling that Saban will seriously consider it, since he is very very familiar with him.

I think that you could see Donte Whitner turn into a Troy Palumalu type of player. Can you imagine what that would do to our current defense? Man, that's scary!

Whitner is an outstanding player. In my opinion he is a much better prosepct than Jason Allen.
I would not be surprised if we draft Whitner, put him at corner, a position he excelled in at Ohio State (He spent much of his time over the slot receiver). and move Daniels to free safety.

I am a huge Whitner fan. He is extremely explosive.

i think daniels is gonna get better and better. he started out slow last season but i think he came on at the end . i would love Whitner as i said before, i think more and more he is our main guy.

Whitner is highly explosive with all world acceleration and toughness. He breaks on the ball quicker than any player I can remember. I know he can play safety, yet, I think he could absolutely shut down one side of the field as a corner.

In regards to Daniels. Saban said he may eventually play safety when we drafted him. I expect that to happen. He has the perfect frame and temperment to make the switch.

That is why I see this draft pick as accomplishing two goals. starting corner and starting free safety. Goodman, Poole, etc can then fight it out for nickle and dime responsibilities.

Ghetti13 said:
Whitner is an outstanding player. In my opinion he is a much better prosepct than Jason Allen.
I would not be surprised if we draft Whitner, put him at corner, a position he excelled in at Ohio State (He spent much of his time over the slot receiver). and move Daniels to free safety.

I am a huge Whitner fan. He is extremely explosive.

I'm going to disagree wth you on that one. Whitner would be a tremendous safety. I can't say that I saw him play a lot last year so maybe you know more then I do. But isn't he going into the draft as a safety? He reminds me of a Palumalu type of player and would be a tremendous fit on this team in that spot. As for Travis Daniels, he isn't going to move to safety. Nick Saban loves him and he's going to get his chance to start, but I still feel that he will lose that camp battle to Will Poole but will make an outstanding nickle!

Whitner is flexible and his skill set can mean different positions for different teams. I suppose he is considered a safety by the public. Just like Jimmy Williams is considered a corner by the public. However, based on what I have seen, I think williams will play free safety, not corner and Whitner will play corner, not safety for the Miami Dolphins. (Whitner would excel at either position)

When I watch Whitner, I see a player who lines up over the slot more often than he lined up at the strong or free safety position. Over the slot he shows outstanding acceleration, speed, change of direction, power and instincts. It goes without saying that he fills in run support like a safety.

Therefore, I would draft him and put him at corner. If that did not work out, I would know he can play either safety position.

I think that may be Nick's feeling on the situation.

I do not like taking a Safety at #16.

That is just too high.

I do like Whitner a lot, but you have to take him about 10 picks later.

jimthefin said:
I do not like taking a Safety at #16.

That is just too high.

I do like Whitner a lot, but you have to take him about 10 picks later.

Polamalu went at #16. Was that "too high"? How can you say you have to take him 10 picks later, we don't have the 26th pick. We need to take the player who we fill will help us the most @ 16.

Crowder52 said:
Polamalu went at #16. Was that "too high"? How can you say you have to take him 10 picks later, we don't have the 26th pick. We need to take the player who we fill will help us the most @ 16.

Yeah I'm not to sure what he was trying to say. Whitner would be a steal at #16 IMO. Like you said we don't have the 26 but I think we could still get Whitner around like 25 if we had traded down.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Yeah I'm not to sure what he was trying to say. Whitner would be a steal at #16 IMO. Like you said we don't have the 26 but I think we could still get Whitner around like 25 if we had traded down.

Agreed. Trading down is ideal, but if we can't, I'm for taking the guy who will help us the most, even if "experts" don't have him in their top 20s.

Ghetti13 said:
Whitner is flexible and his skill set can mean different positions for different teams. I suppose he is considered a safety by the public. Just like Jimmy Williams is considered a corner by the public. However, based on what I have seen, I think williams will play free safety, not corner and Whitner will play corner, not safety for the Miami Dolphins. (Whitner would excel at either position)

When I watch Whitner, I see a player who lines up over the slot more often than he lined up at the strong or free safety position. Over the slot he shows outstanding acceleration, speed, change of direction, power and instincts. It goes without saying that he fills in run support like a safety.

Therefore, I would draft him and put him at corner. If that did not work out, I would know he can play either safety position.

I think that may be Nick's feeling on the situation.
why would you want to move him to corner, that would minimize his two biggest strengths, tackling and range, and expose his inconsistency in coverage. and we need a safety more then a corner

I feel this way for a few reasons:

Essentially, he played and played well at the cornerback position much of the season over the opponents slot receiver. He spent much less time in the typical "free" and "strong" safety positions than one might imagine.

Also, Whitner does not have the frame Saban looks for at the safety position. He wants guys who is 6' and above. Yet, Whitner does fit have the critical factors Saban looks for in a corner. Tackling, man to man, ball skills, etc.

Whitner was inconsistent in coverage because they were asking him to play over the slot and still perform his duties as a safety. This led to him peeking into the backfield more than he should. Miami will not ask him to do this. They will allow him to use his outstanding combination of speed, power, agility and acceleration to be a lockdown corner first, and a player in run support second. He has the potential to be just as good if not better at corner.

Lastly, I know this has been chuckled at, but I think Saban would love to move Travis Daniels to Free Safety. This pick would allow him to do that.
Essentially adding two starters for the price of one.

Whitner is not Polamalu.

Taking a guy rated in the mid 20's at #16 is a REACH.

I know S is a need but reaching to fill a need in Round 1 is a mistake.

Saban will take the best player on his board at #16(unless he moves out)and I can't see that guy being Whitner.

Back
Top Bottom