whitner or allen is smart pick for # 16 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

whitner or allen is smart pick for # 16

i completely agree.whitner would be the one i prefer because he isnt injury prone.our problem as of right now is safety and not corner.we need to adress that

Ghetti13 said:
I feel this way for a few reasons:

Essentially, he played and played well at the cornerback position much of the season over the opponents slot receiver. He spent much less time in the typical "free" and "strong" safety positions than one might imagine.

Also, Whitner does not have the frame Saban looks for at the safety position. He wants guys who is 6' and above. Yet, Whitner does fit have the critical factors Saban looks for in a corner. Tackling, man to man, ball skills, etc.

Whitner was inconsistent in coverage because they were asking him to play over the slot and still perform his duties as a safety. This led to him peeking into the backfield more than he should. Miami will not ask him to do this. They will allow him to use his outstanding combination of speed, power, agility and acceleration to be a lockdown corner first, and a player in run support second. He has the potential to be just as good if not better at corner.

Lastly, I know this has been chuckled at, but I think Saban would love to move Travis Daniels to Free Safety. This pick would allow him to do that.
Essentially adding two starters for the price of one.

still why risk a postion change, he was great as a safety and is amazing hitter that can make the big play. he also go a rushing the qb, keeping him at safety will let him show all his assets better. sure he has the talent to play cb; he might eventually be good but why take the chance when he a good safety already. the only problem i see is the height which isnt that big of a deal. just look at the pro bowl, i believe that 5 out of 7 safeties are 6-0 or below.

I take the chance because I feel his skill set lends itself well to the corner position in Miami's defense. I think he coul really excel in that role. And if he can't, we can just move him to safety. I mean, he is going to be 21 in week one. So it ain't like we would be ruining his career if I am wrong. Its very much worth the minimal risk.

whitner is worth the risk. the rewards r great if we can get him. we also need to get ourself a 2nd rd pick. if we could get that pick back or maybe another 3rd rd pick that would be great. who cares about size, let it be that he is 5'10 no biggie

I doubt Allen goes that high. I was watching something on TV and David Te Thomas, who is plugged in to many NFL teams, has said that he heard from 3 teams that Allen was red flagged in their physicals with him. Supposedly, these teams all think Allen's hip injury is degenerative and only going to get worse. It would be hard for many GMs to spend millions on an injury risk of this magnitude. A bad shoulder or something for a corner/safety is one thing. But without speed, they are nothing. Hips are mighty complicated injuries.

I dont want either player at 16, if we trade down they are smart picks but at 16 they both are reaches.

PSU Cane said:
I doubt Allen goes that high. I was watching something on TV and David Te Thomas, who is plugged in to many NFL teams, has said that he heard from 3 teams that Allen was red flagged in their physicals with him. Supposedly, these teams all think Allen's hip injury is degenerative and only going to get worse. It would be hard for many GMs to spend millions on an injury risk of this magnitude. A bad shoulder or something for a corner/safety is one thing. But without speed, they are nothing. Hips are mighty complicated injuries.

I've heard rumors about this, but seen nothing in print. Other people said the combine put it all to rest. But if that's true, then he'll drop to the 2nd or farther

Back
Top Bottom