who DID you want? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who DID you want?

If you mean players who were on the board when Miami picked I would have gone Barton R1 and Kneeland R2.

But I would have done my best to bet in front of Pittsburgh after Cincy took Mims.

I wanted Fautanu.

What i would have tried to do is all hypothetical...

R1 - I would have tried everything to get in front of Pittsburgh to get Fautanu. Everyone and their brother knew they wanted OL, so they were taking Fautanu or Barton. If you weren't comfortable with Barton, i would have tried to jump them....using a 2025 pick.

If no teams were willing to play, i would have taking Quinyon Mitchell or Graham Barton.
- Mitchell was value as a premium position. X is gone. Ramsey is aging. Fuller on 2 year deal (which is when Ramsey is likely gone). Cam Smith has shown nothing. You have your future outside CB and if he proves himself early, it allows you to move Ramsey around to cover TEs (Kelce, Andrews, Kincaid) or bump Fuller into the slot where he play a LOT in Washington.
- Barton gives you immediate starter Day 1 at Guard and potential future Center if Brewer doesn't work out (you can get out of his deal in 2 years). Center is key for this offense, so forward thinking isn't a bad thing when the guy can be immediate impact guard right off the bat.....also helps with roster flexibility to play OT in a pinch.

R2 - If i was not able to move up in R1, i would have tried again in R2 with Day 3 picks and 2025 picks. My targets.....Jer'zhan Newton or Cooper Dejean. Both guys were R1 players IMO.
- Newton replaces what you lost in Wilkins. He's really good with his hands inside and getting quick QB pressure.
- Dejean gives you flexibility on the back end. He could play outside to kick Fuller inside. He could play nickel corner and keep Fuller outside. He can play safety bc our depth there is lacking. And he can return punts....so it allows you to get rid of Berrios bc that WR room is full of smurfs and you can only keep so many.

If no teams were willing to deal (eventhough there were a LOT of trades), i would have taken Kingsley Suamataia. To me, he is a smoother athlete with better balance than Paul and heavy hands, a guy i see as better fit in this scheme. Plus, i do think he could play guard in the short-term, something i can't see with Paul. Paul plays high and has balance issues when he gets in trouble (both guys have hand placement issues). The balance issue at his height is why i can't see him inside.

Last edited:
would have liked to see Zach Frazier on our OL, I feel like he would be an inside mauler that we need but overall, I am very pleased with how this draft turned out. looking forward to this season

Prior to Miami's pick, I was hoping Verse would drop.

When it came to the pick, and who was actually available, there were about four that I wanted...Thomas, Barton, DeJean and Newton. Probably in that order. I probably would have gone for the homerun with Thomas. Miami doesn't have a receiver like that.

In round 2, I would have gone Beebe.

McDaniel would have loved Thomas, Beebe and Wright.

I wanted 2 OL with top 2 picks, Steelers pretty much did what I had mocked a few times with Fautanu and Frazier.

I’m fine with Chop and Paul. That’s how the board fell, and I didn’t want to use next year’s resources to trade up.

Naturally, Grier said hold my beer and I’ll show you why I’m the longest tenured GM without winning a playoff game… The Steelers also grabbed an OG in the 4th right before Grier gave up a 3rd next year to draft another RB in the 4th… 😮‍💨
Steelers draft is pretty much what I would have done. Of course, Pittsburgh picked before Miami but something similar.

would have liked to see Zach Frazier on our OL, I feel like he would be an inside mauler that we need but overall, I am very pleased with how this draft turned out. looking forward to this season
I like Frazier in the correct scheme, just not this scheme.

Round 1: Barton (b/c I see 5 position flexibility) or Xavier Worthy.

Round 2: Kingsley Suamataia. I had him rated above Paul.
Interesting, most of the pre draft top 100's that I saw, had Paul higher than Kingsley. I don't watch as much college, so I'm not in position to argue the merits, I just look at others who do this sort of thing for a living. I realize every team doesn't necessarily see the draftees as these so call experts do. Grier said he only had 146 players on his board. I guess Miami didn't really see a lot of quality in this draft. He said earlier he didn't even have 21 first round picks on his board. I was intrigue by Barton also, but I do understand we have only one healthy Edge on our team and that Shaq. So to ensure we have 2 so teams don't just focus on the one, we added. I also don't see Chubbs playing out his contract here, so a little insurance.

Based on who was available at the time, no trading, in no particular order:

@21: Barton, Mitchell, Arnold, Guyton, Newton, Sweat, Fiske, Powers-Johnson.

@55: I am actually pretty good with Paul, however, if we went OT at 21: Kneeland or Bullard

Back
Top Bottom