who do you think will be PG for usa basketball?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

who do you think will be PG for usa basketball??

scoring machine arenas easy

but pg...chris paul no doubt

Give paul 2 more years and your talking all star top 5 pg easy...maybe top 3

phunwin said:
AI's a ballhog and the stats bear it out.

A ballhog isn't going to be in the top 10 when it comes to assists. The definition of a ballhog is someone who doesn't pass the ball.

Arenas starting at PG for Team USA = Say goodbye to the Gold medal.

The starting PG job should go to Chris Paul for the time being. Arenas is one of those "ball hog" players who doesn't belong on that squad. However, I think Chauncey will eventually join the team, and when he does, I'd like to see Billups + Paul.

byroan said:
A ballhog isn't going to be in the top 10 when it comes to assists. The definition of a ballhog is someone who doesn't pass the ball.
Very, very false statement. It's not hard to pile up assists at all.

(NOTE: Personally, I don't think A.I. is a ball hog. He just wants to win and he knows the rest of his team is a piece of ****. Give A.I. a player like Jermaine O'Neal or Kevin Garnett, and he'll be very passive - while still getting his share. Offensively, you can't take the rest of that Philly team seriously. First off, Iverson is basically the only good ballhandler on that team. Then, you've got guys like Kyle Korver who chuck up three's all night, and guys like Iggy who wouldn't have a clue of what to do with the ball offensively 50% of the time. Oh, and of course you have the ever-so inconsistent Chris Webber who got boo'ed out of Sacromento)

marke27 said:
ok i agree ridnour cant guard but he is good at stealing the ball...alot of people drive on him and has he gets to the hoop....luke will slap the ball out of his hand.....as you can see im a ridnour fan so of course im hopeing he can make the team
Stealing the ball doesnt alone make a player a good defender. Not allowing the man your guarding to get the shot they want is good defense. Moving your feet to stop penetration is good defense. Ridnour is just bad though. He cant shoot (hovers around 40% much of the year), he cant guard, his assists are mediocore for someone who's supposed to be a true PG. Ill take Arenas, Paul, AI (if he had been invited by Coach K/Coangelo etc), and a handful of others over him without hesitation.

Blueprint said:
Arenas starting at PG for Team USA = Say goodbye to the Gold medal.

The starting PG job should go to Chris Paul for the time being. Arenas is one of those "ball hog" players who doesn't belong on that squad. However, I think Chauncey will eventually join the team, and when he does, I'd like to see Billups + Paul.
Arenas is far from a ball hog player. His True shooting % (measured by Average of FG% and FT%) if you read the Hollinger stats ranks him 34th in the league overall. He's asked to score a lot because hes the player that makes the Wizards go. They need him to score and to push the tempo because they are not a good half court team. If you watch the wizards at all you know thats a team that needs arenas to get in the open floor with butler and just go to the hoop. Many of Arenas assists though come in half court sets when he has to settle into the role of a traditional PG.

phunwin said:
The average for a point guard is between 25 and 30. Chauncey Billups is around 35, I believe, and is either the leader, or very close to being the leader among point guards that have a starting job.

try 29...

The misconceptions about players in this thread is killing me. People call ridnour a true PG and Iverson a ballhog but who would you take on your team: Iverson's 30PPG+, 7ast and a TO ratio ( TO Turnover Ratio is the percentage of a player’s possessions that end in a turnover. Turnover Ratio = (Turnover x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers])
of 7.8 or ridnour, his 8-9ppg/7 ast and a TO Ration of 10? No brainer. And for good measure arenas is 94th in the league in TO ratio at 10.5, barely behind a true PG.

phunwin said:
:lol: OK, first off, you just argued that Iverson's assists per game were proof that he's not a ballhog. Since Iverson plays a ton of minutes, and thus has lots of opportunity to rack up assists, wouldn't THAT be due to playing more minutes than anyone else?

Beyond that, assist rate measures the PERCENTAGE of times a player's possession ends with an assist. The number of minutes played is irrelevant to the calculation. Roughly 18% of Iverson's possessions end with an assist. The average for a point guard is between 25 and 30. Chauncey Billups is around 35, I believe, and is either the leader, or very close to being the leader among point guards that have a starting job. (I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment). So basically, TWICE as many of Billups' possessions end in assists as Iverson's.

Understand this: I like Iverson. Calling AI a ballhog and saying I like him are not at all mutually incompatible. I love to watch him; he might be the most fascinating one-on-one basketball player since MJ. He's a sure-fire Hall of Famer, he's having a fine season, and I hope he keeps doing his thing for many more years. But he's a ballhog. The stats make it clear; they have nothing to do with the number of minutes he plays. Anyone who's ever watched a Sixers game should know he's a ballhog just from watching him play. For God's sake man, call a spade a spade!

You probably think Chauncey is a better player than AI too....just another AI hater.

phunwin said:
Given that Iverson has the ball in his hands for the vast majority of every single Sixers possession, I would be SHOCKED if he wasn't in the top 10 in assists. The raw number for assists is not, by itself, indicative of unselfishness. Iverson's assist rate, which calculates the percentage of his possessions that ends with an assist is 41st out of the NBA's 43 point guards.
Iversons % of possessions that end in assists is 18.1 (67th in the league) with a PER of 26.84 (7th overall). Ridnour's % of possessions that end in assists in 33.1 (9th overall) but his per is only 15.96 (68th overall) because he contributes nothing else except FT%. And Iverson has the 15th LOWEST To Ratio in the entire league (Again TO ratio = the percentage of a player’s possessions that end in a turnover. Turnover Ratio = (Turnover x 100) divided by [(FGA + (FTA x 0.44) + Assists + Turnovers]) compared to ridnour's 10% TO ratio (78th in the league) and not only is iverson better but more efficient as well. And this is coming from someone who isnt an AI fan either. Hes still a remarkable player though.

Roman529 said:
You probably think Chauncey is a better player than AI too....just another AI hater.
Thats ALOT closer than you think in terms of real stats. PPG iverson will kill most anyone but Chauncey is not far off in overall ranking.
Iverson is 7th in per @ 26.84
Billups is 9th @ 23.66.

phunwin said:
Given that Iverson has the ball in his hands for the vast majority of every single Sixers possession, I would be SHOCKED if he wasn't in the top 10 in assists. The raw number for assists is not, by itself, indicative of unselfishness. Iverson's assist rate, which calculates the percentage of his possessions that ends with an assist is 41st out of the NBA's 43 point guards.
Right but youre calling Iverson a true PG which hes not. hes a 2 guard in a PG's body. He not only contributes 30+ppg, 7-8 dimes a night but hes got a better percentage of possessions ending with assists then many PG's. If he had decent players to pass to that % would be even higher. But aside from Webber and Dalembert he has a bunch of low percentage shooters and Dalembert isnt offensively skilled enough yet to make a big impact on Iversons % of possessions that end in assists.

phunwin said:
Roughly 18% of Iverson's possessions end with an assist. The average for a point guard is between 25 and 30. Chauncey Billups is around 35, I believe, and is either the leader, or very close to being the leader among point guards that have a starting job. (I don't have the numbers in front of me at the moment). So basically, TWICE as many of Billups' possessions end in assists as Iverson's.
Billups is tied for 5th among starters (at any position) at 33.1. But his per is still slightly lower than AI. Ai is the better player, Ai is the guy who can carry a team on his shoulders. Billups isnt quite that guy though i love to watch him. But again youre comparing the 2nd best true PG (Billups) to a PG/SG tweener who has to do more then Billups for his team have a chance.

Boik14 said:
Billups is tied for 5th among starters (at any position) at 33.1. But his per is still slightly lower than AI. Ai is the better player, Ai is the guy who can carry a team on his shoulders. Billups isnt quite that guy though i love to watch him. But again youre comparing the 2nd best true PG (Billups) to a PG/SG tweener who has to do more then Billups for his team have a chance.

Don't get me wrong...I love Chauncey....I got to see him play many games in Denver when I was growing up. Got to see him play at my alma mater (Univ. of Colorado), but I would still take AI.

with kobe billups wade Paul i see this team sharing point guard duty throughout the game . Personally i dont like having so many players dribbling the ball down the court. It messes up the Rythm of the team. Right now the best player the team has to bring the ball up is Billups. He is a tough leader a smart player and the best floor general team usa has. i see kobe as a 3 that will bring up the ball in certain situations. Paul will be the back up PG at first and as his game develops he may even become the main PG. Wade will be the 2 and we all know he can more than handle the PG duty. i really hope Kobe doesnt demad bringing up the ball during the games this will piss off the other players and hell ruin the chemistry. Im sorry to have to say this but this team will go as far as kobe lets it. if he plays his role well go far if he tries to be the man team usa loses to any good international team with chemistry.

Back
Top Bottom