Who Goes Earlier, Later Than Expected? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Goes Earlier, Later Than Expected?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
My guess for earlier includes Ed Oliver and Drew Lock. I think Oliver could go #3 overall to the Jets. Lock likely won't get past Denver, but there's a chance he's a Raider at #4. Jon Gruden was gushing over Lock at the Senior Bowl and the Raiders will eventually have to upgrade over Derek Carr.

As far as later, I think Daniel Jones goes lower than expected. Maybe to New England at the end of round 1. I think the Giants are a possibility at #17 overall, but that could depend on who gets Josh Rosen. Dexter Lawrence is another who could drop, maybe into the second round. Jeffrey Simmons, due to his injury, may also end up somewhere in the second round.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that the Oakland Raiders are evaluating Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins and Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray against Derek Carr.

GM Mike Mayock and coach Jon Gruden just spent the last couple days with Murray, and they're meeting with Haskins (6'3/220) tomorrow. After that, they are done evaluating the "top quarterbacks" meaning that Drew Lock is not being considered at No. 4.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that the Oakland Raiders are evaluating Ohio State QB Dwayne Haskins and Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray against Derek Carr.

GM Mike Mayock and coach Jon Gruden just spent the last couple days with Murray, and they're meeting with Haskins (6'3/220) tomorrow. After that, they are done evaluating the "top quarterbacks" meaning that Drew Lock is not being considered at No. 4.
Well, not necessarily. Gruden worked with Lock and Jones at the Senior Bowl so he likely has a good feel for both of those guys. At the same time, I 100 percent think Murray and Haskins are the top two quarterbacks. That #4 overall by the Raiders will be interesting.

Well, not necessarily. Gruden worked with Lock and Jones at the Senior Bowl so he likely has a good feel for both of those guys. At the same time, I 100 percent think Murray and Haskins are the top two quarterbacks. That #4 overall by the Raiders will be interesting.

That's exactly how they know Lock is not a top quarterback.

I don't think Oliver going top 5 would be "earlier than expected"...that dude is a top-shelf talent with elite movement skills. He should be there right after Bosa, Williams, and Allen.

I don't think Oliver going top 5 would be "earlier than expected"...that dude is a top-shelf talent with elite movement skills. He should be there right after Bosa, Williams, and Allen.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Oliver go before Williams. NYJ maybe at #3.

Will Grier goes before Lock
That would be a surprise. But when it comes to quarterbacks it is so much about fit. I do like a lot of Grier's game, but I just think some team will fall in love with Lock's arm talent and mobility and believe they can smooth out his footwork.

I would think Ed Oliver goes quite early, and the fact the 49ers were doing their DD on him is interesting, but I heard something from an insider the other day that gives me a bit of pause there.

It could well be that if the Cardinals go with Nick Bosa at #1 then the 49ers find themselves in position of being able to trade down with a team itching for Kyler Murray. That could put them in position to get Ed Oliver.

Thing is I've heard there really is a fair chance Ed Oliver falls to Miami's pick. I wouldn't believe it if it didn't come from the person it came from. The Raiders are thinking about Oliver, but if they don't get him it's a bit up in the air.

I would think Ed Oliver goes quite early, and the fact the 49ers were doing their DD on him is interesting, but I heard something from an insider the other day that gives me a bit of pause there.

It could well be that if the Cardinals go with Nick Bosa at #1 then the 49ers find themselves in position of being able to trade down with a team itching for Kyler Murray. That could put them in position to get Ed Oliver.

Thing is I've heard there really is a fair chance Ed Oliver falls to Miami's pick. I wouldn't believe it if it didn't come from the person it came from. The Raiders are thinking about Oliver, but if they don't get him it's a bit up in the air.
Would love Oliver at #13. Haven't really considered that simply because I've been thinking he'd go much earlier. I think Wilkins would be a good fit for Miami.

I think Gruden is bluffing about selecting a Qb but making everyone think he’s willing to pull the trigger on one it’s what he should do.

I think Gruden is bluffing about selecting a Qb but making everyone think he’s willing to pull the trigger on one it’s what he should do.
Anything is possible this time of the year. I think the NYG really want Haskins, but they've been saying defense at #6 for awhile. I think that's a smokescreen, but we'll find out pretty soon.

As far as the Raiders go, it is interesting that they worked out Murray. They are the one team that could move Arizona off that pick and you know they want to make a big splash heading into Las Vegas. Plus, Gruden loves quarterbacks and he knows that Carr is just okay. Murray would be a huge upgrade. That will be interesting to watch. Are the Raiders in on Murray, Haskins or even Lock? Or, like you said, is it a smokescreen?

Where do you all think the running backs will go? I still think that could be a need for Miami. Granted, it is down the list considering huge holes on the offensive and defensive lines. But, one way to really jump-start the career of a young quarterback is to have a running game in place. I really like quite a few. Sanders looks like he could be special. He makes a lot of people miss with some pretty impressive moves. Montgomery is one of my favorite players in the draft. I don't think he's necessarily special (a little slow), but he will get those yards after contact. And I've always been a big fan of Harris from Alabama, who I think is starting to get overlooked.

Anything is possible this time of the year. I think the NYG really want Haskins, but they've been saying defense at #6 for awhile. I think that's a smokescreen, but we'll find out pretty soon.

As far as the Raiders go, it is interesting that they worked out Murray. They are the one team that could move Arizona off that pick and you know they want to make a big splash heading into Las Vegas. Plus, Gruden loves quarterbacks and he knows that Carr is just okay. Murray would be a huge upgrade. That will be interesting to watch. Are the Raiders in on Murray, Haskins or even Lock? Or, like you said, is it a smokescreen?
I think it is a smokescreen from Gruden, I think he and Mayock really like Carr, did some research on Mayock and how he felt about about Carr predraft and he was a fan, also heard some interactions between Gruden and some NFL people on Tv that led me to believe he feels Carr is the guy..

The cool think about this, well as cool as it can be not getting Murray, but let’s say the cardinals and giants take Murray and Haskins, that really leaves us with very little competition for The #1 overall next year..Tua would make me feel better..

Back
Top Bottom