Who in here thinks the new rule.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who in here thinks the new rule..

Who thinks this new rule is soft?

• This rule is good for the sport (less injuries)

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • this rule should be banned because football is not "soft"

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters
13isgr81 said:
Its not a NEW RULE. They have made a decided effort to enforce the current rules more vigorously.
true that ! I think it was fine the way it was, but the league obviously wants to see more big passing plays so they are opening it up again. We need to improve our passing game on O proportionally to how much this will effect Pat and Sam on D

It all depends how the officials are going to call them. The Patriots got away with murder last year in the playoffs and the ref's just sat on their hands. It was sickening to watch!!!

Again, the rule isn't being changed, it's being more strictly enforced. And yes, if you whine enough about lax officiating, the league will put pressure on the refs to tighten it up.

The problem I have is the way it seemed to be stated, they want to restrict defensive holding by the DBs, but they should enforced illegal contact across the board not just DBs, because the receivers are just as bad as the DBs when it comes to contact. The DBs may hold but the recievers push off all the time.

It's obvious the NFL wants to open up the scoring.

DrAstroZoom said:
Injuries are irrelevant. The NFL wants more successful long bombs that will make its fan base go "ooooh" and "ahhhhh." That's why it is mandating stricter enforcement of the rule.

Dr Astrozoom has hit it on the head. Every time the defense catches up with the offense in the league, we see a new rule to limit the defense. You can't sell as much beer or Chevies with 7-6 games all the time.

ThunderCane said:
The NFL needs to go back to the rules of the 70's. I can hit bump ya all the way down the field. In turn the reciever can do the same thing and push off.
Lets get back to playing football. Let's take the skirts off the QB's while we are at it.

Soon the NFL will stand for:
Now, For
Ladies

I agree 100% TC, but you're not describing holding tho. Back in the day, the OL couldn't use their hands at all and they had to keep them in. using the hands off the line, chucking a player is one thing, but grabbing and holding on is a :shakeno: . That's unless you're making a tackle!! :lol:

I did not get into other rules...I was just thinking about this new contact rule and crap. Yes, they have changed rules so much to favor the offense and it has not worked. What happens, the same in the NBA, you get bigger and stronger and faster but you loss talent a long the way. I really - truly believe in this. The average viewer of any sport is not a "fan." Therefore, When scores are low because D's are doing their job...the average viewer gets board.

Not to go off on a tangent...The last time I was a JRS for a regular season game the cops almost tossed me. For fighting? No! For Cussing and Disorderly? NO! For being stupid drunk? NO!(I wish I was). The reason was I was standing and cheering for our D. Making noise, you know that thing called home field. I had this old B!TCH behind me tell me to sit down. These are not fans...these are the type of people that if it rains they stay home...if it is 90 degrees they stay home. It is sad!
What my point is that the majority of people that can afford season tix are not "fans." And the NFL is a business that will do what every business does. Serve and cater the majority.
The game I grew up with and fell in love with. Is not the same, but it is still the best damn sport on this planet IMO!

The muggings that took place in the Indianapolis/New England playoff game requires no skill. Don't turn this into the NBA.

It's a good idea but I hope the officials don't get carried away. Give them the five yard "chuck" and let's see who has the skills. I think it's going to make for some debate during the season. Officials will call pass interference differently from crew to crew for a while.

13isgr81 said:
Its not a NEW RULE. They have made a decided effort to enforce the current rules more vigorously.
Concur with this post. The NHL has a similar problem.

:nono: Don't like it one bit, football is a contact sport, lets keep it physical!

It's not a rule change. It's a change in enforcement policy. As far as I know, the jam is still allowed within 5 yards of the LOS because that is in the rules. It is the contact beyond that 5 yard space where the illegal contact will now be called. It was always technically illegal, at least since the rules were establilshed some years ago. The Colts will undoubtably be one of the major beneficiaries.

Didnt vote

dont think it really effects one team better then another

contact occurs on almost every play that has a WR going deep, from the arm fighting to legs getting tangled to outright holding or interference or pushing off. If the refs call all the incidental stuff in favor of the offense because of this mandate then it will affect some teams a LOT more than others. Specifically, with the physical style our DBs play, it will hurt us.

I'll be happy if they just get more consistant. What gets called for def. holding by one crew, might not draw a flag from another. That'll be like expecting every ump's strike zone to be the same though, probably.

With our receivers that should equalized things..the new rule is really an old rule with more emphasis.

Back
Top Bottom