Who Is The Best All-around Athlete In Your Sport? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Is The Best All-around Athlete In Your Sport?

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Reaction score
Jason Taylor, defensive end, Miami Dolphins
"I'm not sure people know how good an all-around athlete Ricky Williams really is, but the guy can do a lot of things well. The perception kind of is that he's a power running back, very strong and durable, but maybe not too flexible. But when you're around him, when you see him at practice every day, you appreciate how naturally things just come to him. Maybe it's just because I see him more often, I don't know, but I've definitely come to appreciate him as an excellent athlete."
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=degree/athletes/040427

I hate to say it but, Deon Sanders was probably one of the greatest all around athletes that stepped into the NFL. Cant leave out Bo Jackson though. Just my opinion.

You can't leave out Vick. He could have been an all pro at CB, WR, or RB not to mention kick/punt returner. One of the fastest people in the game with one of the best arms in the game. Not since Barry Sanders have I just sat in awe of a player. I couldn't beleave it when he made his debut against Miami, and ran around the pocket for about 15 seconds then threw the ball 60 yards on the run, and hit his WR in the hands on the 3 yard line.

athletes?

doesn't chambers has a 47" vert.

Now that's athleticism.

juniorseau55 said:
Deion Sanders couldn' even tackle. A defender that can't tackle has no bussiness playing the sport.

Why does he have to tackle if he is picking the ball off and going for 6 the other way??
You want your corners to cover FIRST and foremost. If he can LOCK down his side of the field, tackling is a distant 3rd or 4th priority.

I think Deon was the best ever at his position.

He was good, but not the best ever. He got a rep and not many challenged him. He sucked on the running game and when his man did catch the ball the safety had to make the tackle. Sorry, but there's no way that makes him the best ever. It wasn't so much that he had a lot of picks as much as if he did pick it he could score potentially.

There's too many great athletes I can't decide on just one. The safe bet for now would be Bo.

bigmiamifan said:
He was good, but not the best ever. He got a rep and not many challenged him. He sucked on the running game and when his man did catch the ball the safety had to make the tackle. Sorry, but there's no way that makes him the best ever. It wasn't so much that he had a lot of picks as much as if he did pick it he could score potentially.

There's too many great athletes I can't decide on just one. The safe bet for now would be Bo.

I disagree completely.
Look, I know many people don't like Deon personally and probably wouldn't invite him over for dinner. But to claim he wasn't the best at his position for not being able to tackle? Please...thats grasping. :shakeno:

Deion will be in the HOF. He LOCKED DOWN the opposition's BEST WR on every play! No other corner in the NFL could do it like Deion did.
I'd bet good money that if you ask Madden to pick an ALL Madden team that Deion would be his starting CB.

Just take a look at our secondary and imagine the irking feeling we get when a top WR does make a rare couple of good plays because of the safety or CB was in the wrong position. Well when Deion played, there was no safety net...he LOCKED it down on his side. The safety didn't worry about Deion's side of the field...he crept over to the other side.

The man didn't switch teams multiple times and receive high signing bonuses for nothing.

Deon is more rep than meat...he was an outstanding athlete, one of the best punt returners I've ever seen. He was one of if not the best CB in his era, but he is not the best all time CB, neither is he the best all round athlete. Bo Jackson, Jim Brown, several others could be on the list.

LarryFinFan said:
Deon is more rep than meat...he was an outstanding athlete, one of the best punt returners I've ever seen. He was one of if not the best CB in his era, but he is not the best all time CB, neither is he the best all round athlete. Bo Jackson, Jim Brown, several others could be on the list.

Ok then....who was the best CB? I'd like to know who it is that I'm missing that was better at covering a WR.
Thanks.

Superself said:
If he can LOCK down his side of the field, tackling is a distant 3rd or 4th priority.

1. Lock down cover skills
2. Prancing with a football
3. Posing for the camera
4. Tackling

You're right tackling is a distant 4th.....

Seriously, the knock on his tackling skills is legitimate. Its no different than knocking DEs that are great at rushing the passer but don't play the run so well.

Superself said:
I disagree completely.
Look, I know many people don't like Deon personally and probably wouldn't invite him over for dinner. But to claim he wasn't the best at his position for not being able to tackle? Please...thats grasping. :shakeno:

Deion will be in the HOF. He LOCKED DOWN the opposition's BEST WR on every play! No other corner in the NFL could do it like Deion did.
I'd bet good money that if you ask Madden to pick an ALL Madden team that Deion would be his starting CB.

Just take a look at our secondary and imagine the irking feeling we get when a top WR does make a rare couple of good plays because of the safety or CB was in the wrong position. Well when Deion played, there was no safety net...he LOCKED it down on his side. The safety didn't worry about Deion's side of the field...he crept over to the other side.

The man didn't switch teams multiple times and receive high signing bonuses for nothing.

Ah yea, because tackling is an essential part of playing at that position. He can cover, that's it. He can't tackle, so if a WR catches the ball they are going to get some YAK. He can't tackle so the RBs will get some extra yardage. Over the years he made a few sweet plays here and there and his rep preceded him. Less then spectacular QBs would not even take the chance throwing to his side, their were punks. He didn't always make a play, he didn't always make an INT, he didn't always turn the game around and he rarely made a tackle.

Sure, he might make the HOF, no doubt he had skill but that doesn't mean he's the best CB ever, that's what I call 'grasping'.

....ok and STILL nobody named another who was better at his position.

Like I said...you may not like him personally, but please, don't discount his skills. He had the rep for a reason...it wasn't made up that he locked down his half of the field. Even Favre praised Deion!
Maybe I'm just dreaming though :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom