Who is the best power hitter of all time | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who is the best power hitter of all time

Who is best power hitter?

• Babe Ruth

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Hank Aaron

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Barry Bonds

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
Little known fact about Ruth, when everyone thought his career was over and his best days were behind him in 1925 (which was an awful year for him), That offseason he hit the gym. Lost 45lbs, came back in 1926 and had 6 years that were un-friggin-real until 1932.

RWhitney014 said:
Is no one going to acknowledge that Ruth probably would have hit 800+ HR in the deadball era in huge parks if he hadn't been one of the league's best pitchers for 5 years?

He had no Coors, no Citizens Bank, not even Wrigley because of the league. He had no Astroturf to aid his hitting. He had no juiced balls, either kind. He was the best.

He also had no "specialty" middle relief guys who come in, face one hitter, then go sit on the bench! So, it all even outs.

Roman529 said:
I think A-Rod will have the record by himself.....Pujols doesn't seem to swing for homers that much....he hits more for average, but I could see Pujols there if he decides to play until he is in his late 30's. A-Rod should get it easily. The sad thing is Ken Griffey Jr. would have killed all of these guys if he would have stayed healthy.

Yeah I said that in my first post....

If Griffey stayed healthy he could have been possibly the greatest player of all time.....He had very good speed, and excellent glove, strong arm, could hit for average and power

Guy was amazing untill the injuries piled up

RWhitney014 said:
Is no one going to acknowledge that Ruth probably would have hit 800+ HR in the deadball era in huge parks if he hadn't been one of the league's best pitchers for 5 years?

He had no Coors, no Citizens Bank, not even Wrigley because of the league. He had no Astroturf to aid his hitting. He had no juiced balls, either kind. He was the best.

I know he probally could have, thats one reason why I consider him the best.

@ MikeO

None of the other hitters had that to worry about either in his day and they didnt accomplish half of what he did....or one third of what he did

Slappy8800 said:
and hank DID face them?:confused: babe played in the deadball era...his numbers are insane.

Yes hank faced both black and white because the game wasnt segregate. Have you heard of names like Bob Gibson, probably one the best big time pitchers of his era. So I dont understand your:confused: comment. The Babe had great numbers, im not denying that but I wonder how it would of been if the league wasnt segregated. Nobody knows. He did face the negro league in something called the barnstorming tours and did well sometimes and not so well sometimes. But not as specacular like he did in the regular league.

Check out this info about Dick "Cannonball" Redding.
The 6'4" 210-lb Redding may have been the hardest-throwing pitcher in black baseball history. Negro Leaguer Jesse Hubbard said Redding had a better fastball than did Satchel Paige or Cum Posey. Frank Forbes, Cannonball's teammate on the 1914 New York Lincoln Giants, said, "Dick Redding was like Walter Johnson. Nothing but speed." Like Johnson, Redding did not develop a curveball until late in his career. He used the hesitation delivery decades before Paige made it famous, balancing on one foot with his back to the hitter before cutting loose his devastating fastball.

In his first season, 1911, Redding reeled off 17 consecutive wins. Through 1914, he teamed with Smokey Joe Williams to give the New York Lincoln Giants one of the all-time-great one-two pitching punches. He went 43-12 in 1912, including a 17-strikeout perfect game against the Eastern League Jersey Skeeters. He struck out 24 in defeating a United States League team. Jumping to the Lincoln Stars in 1915, he won 20 straight, including several games against major league all-star squads. In that year's Black World Series, he went 3-1 with a shutout over the Chicago American Giants, and batted .385.

Back
Top Bottom