Who Would You Rather Have? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Who Would You Rather Have?

Swollcolb

Active Roster
Reaction score
Following a lot of the mocks (I know their not all that accurate), but based off players like Ed Oliver and Brian Burns improving their stock, and likely 3 QBs going early there is 2 top edge talents that I’ve consistently seen falling into our range due to ? Marks. Montez Sweat (heart) and Rashan Gary (lack of production). So my question is if both are on the board who would you take?

I LOVE Sweat, I just dont know the extent of his heart condition.

Would rely on the Dr.'s opinion for that.

They both seem to fit what the team wants to do actually. I always take the pass rusher first but have to be sure about his condition.

Sweat would be the better pick as far as I am concerned, but the heart condition is very scary, especially to use one of your top three picks on.

Sweat would be the better pick as far as I am concerned, but the heart condition is very scary, especially to use one of your top three picks on.

I'm not overly concerned about it. Combine doctors who have prevented players from participating due to health concerns in the past gave him a green light. I imagine he'll have to disclose it to the teams he meets with. If he refuses, I imagine we'll see him plummet.

I haven't seen Gary fall to us in any mocks that I can recall.

Both are absolute freaks athletically. I'd take Gary though because I think he fits better with what we're gonna do on defense. Also Sweats heart thing scares me. I don't know anything about it but if it's any issue at all it would worry me that he might just play a couple years and retire.

Gary is another Jordan’s Phillips (lacks effort) in the making to me and Sweat doesn’t fit this D scheme.

Last edited:
I will preface my comments with a note that I have watched all of Rashan Gary's games and very few of Sweat's.

If Sweat's heart condition is something minor (like a PFO) then I wouldn't hesitate to draft him since that is easily repaired. I had one since birth but it was only discovered in my late 40's when I had a minor stroke because of it. In short, it is a hole between the chambers in the heart that allows oxygenated blood to mix with the non-oxygenated. Mine allowed a small blood clot to pass through it and it caused a minor stroke. They went through my femoral artery and closed the hole so I should be good to go from here on out.

As far as Gary goes, he was not utilized properly by Harbaugh so his numbers don't jump off the page. But he more than passes the eye test. He is a freakish athlete and I would think that they could mix and match his alignment based on down and yardage to take advantage of his tools.

But, to be 100% honest, I would rather see a trade down for additional picks than either one of these guys. There are so many holes to fill that this year's draft, as it stands right now, will not address more than a couple of them. The team needs players that are at least capable of competing for backup spots, not ST players that will never see the field otherwise.

Sweat. Wherever the heart thing puts him on your board. If that’s top 15 still so be it.

He’s got a little bit of straight ahead redirect hip tightness in him or maybe that’s just his long stride throwing me off but he can flatten. I think he’s probably the ideal scheme fit edge for us for multiple fronts.

A little overaged which is probably the one thing other than the heart condition that could effect his stock in terms of meat on the bone upside. But 4.42 at 260 yeah I’m in.

To improve the squad you need to select very well with your top picks (Duh) meaning you need difference makers. I think either one would fit the bill. If you trade down you get quantity but not the pedigree that you need to get over the top competitive, IMHO.

Taking Sweat is the Miami thing to do. Plus, he's had this condition during his college years and he did great.

It’s an interesting debate because these guys are arguably the 2 most athletic edges in the draft. I would think Ross would be jumping for joy to land Gary (Michigan guy)

You'd want to draft guys that high in the draft that have been ultra productive. I don't see that with either Sweat or Gary. The heart condition is something that would worry me, especially in the Florida heat. Sweat as much as he blew up the Senior Bowl Practices, leaves a little bit of a question mark, as to why he wasn't more productive on the field? Gary as athletic as he seems to be, why wasn't he more productive? Scheme at Michigan or not. Question is; does he become more productive in the NFL. That's the proverbial question, Miami needs to answer!!

I'm not overly concerned about it. Combine doctors who have prevented players from participating due to health concerns in the past gave him a green light. I imagine he'll have to disclose it to the teams he meets with. If he refuses, I imagine we'll see him plummet.

I hope so for his sake, and the teams that might like him

Always sad when a young kid with great potential has a black mark that may or may not hurt his future.

Back
Top Bottom