• Scenario Number Three

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I Have a Fourth (Please Detail Below)

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Cranx

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Here are some scenarios that should make some of you think and may ultimately cause some of you to tweak your view of bringing Fiedler back for another year or two. Now, I'm not saying that I want Fiedler back or that I believe he'll be back (although I wouldn't have a hissy fit as some in here would be inclined to do) I'm simply laying out the likely choices this franchise will have to make. Here they are:

1) Miami ditches Fiedler this offseason (a lot of you are smiling already :tongue: ) and Griese is tossed with him. We'll assume, for the sake of this scenario, that Sage works his way up to #2 and someone else- a no name likely- is brought in as the #3. In this scenario, Brunell is signed as a FA and is brought in to be the QB of the 'Fins with the understanding that they WILL NOT draft a QB early (this is one of the things he has adamantly stated he wants no part of.) Brunell, in essence, becomes our QB of the future (at least the foreseeable future.)

Here you get no Rivers, no Losman, and no Henson but you get Brunell and you get yet another "we must win now because out window of opportunity is closing...blah, blah, blah" season but NO QB OF THE FUTURE.

2) In this scenario (the one I'm sure is going to be super popular :rolleyes: ) Fiedler is retained as the pro forma starting QB while Miami either trades for the rights to Henson or drafts Rivers or Losman (for the sake of this scenario, let's assume that it's whichever rookie QB of the three you prefer.) The rookie would likely not see the field next season as the "win now" mentality would still apply but we would have our QB of future (hopefully) and he would learn behind a guy that's a bit short on talent but very big in the all important "intangible" aspect of the game (i.e. heart, leadership, determination, etc.)

Here you get no new veteran QB but you do get a potentially great future QB upon whom the franchise can place their hopes for years to come.

3) This scenario simply IS NOT going to happen but this is fantasy land and I'm curious to see how many of you feel the team should go this route.

Here the team ditches Fiedler and Griese and DOES NOT go after Brunell. A rookie is picked up (take your pick of the three already mentioned) and he is given the reigns as the starting QB. In this scenario the team also ditches a few aging/high priced veterans on defense and enters rebuilding mode to some extent.

In this final scenario the team should not be expected to win now as it is building for the future with young talent.

These are essentially the options that this franchise will have to face during this offseason. Brunell has stated he believes he can be the man for another 5 to 6 years for whatever franchise he goes to and, therefore, does not want to go to a team that is going to use a high draft pick on a QB. This means that if Miami is planning on drafting a QB it is NOT planning on going after Brunell and visa versa. Any thoughts to the contrary would be counterproductive as bringing in Brunell AND drafting a QB would cause all kinds of problems since Brunell would have to have been lied to in order for him to come on board.

Think about these for a minute and discuss amongst yourselves.

:smokin:

trade for henson, sign brunell, keep sage or bring in ricky ray

brunell wants to be here, we want him here, convince him henson does not threaten his job this year and if he performs well enough he keeps it next year

cut fee fee, griese

Number 2. Doesn't matter who the QB is the upcoming year, still have an idiot coach. Might as well draft a QB who can learn what NOT to do for a year or 2 until Jay and Wanny are history, then the franchise can regain some respect.

Originally posted by Dolphins17-0

brunell wants to be here, we want him here, convince him henson does not threaten his job this year and if he performs well enough he keeps it next year

cut fee fee, griese

You can't have it both ways here bro as there is absolutely no way that you convince Brunell that Henson-- a guy who would have gone #1 overall two years ago-- would not be a threat to his job. Think about it logically for a minute: as soon as Brunell goes on a two or three game skid with some poor passing results (whether they're his fault or not) the fans are going to be screaming for his head and crying for Henson (or whoever the rookie is) to get his shot. There is NO way around that fact as that is just the way things work in the NFL. Brunell WILL NOT come to Miami, nor will he go to any other team, unless he is THE man for the foreseeable future (unless of course nobody else wants him then he'll have to settle but that simply isn't going to happen.)

You can't "have your cake and eat it too" here; you HAVE to chose one way or the other.

Option 3 – With all that’s happened to this organization in the off-season and especially in the past 24 hours…I would not be surprised if this actually occurred. "This scenario simply IS NOT going to happen but this is fantasy land and I'm curious to see how many of you feel the team should go this route.†Don’t be surprised if this occurs Cranx!!!

Option 2 – Only and I mean only if the Fins seriously upgrade their O-Line…big time!!! I want John Tait at RT…an upgrade at RG and possibly even LG.

Option 1 - I would like Brunell here no doubt my choice…but who the hell is he saying that no way he goes to a team that’s going to draft a young QB…hello, you’re the one that will need a job very soon. He should take advice from Junior Seau…I need this team more than the team needs me!!! Option 1 is the one I voted for but if we have a chance at a great young QB and it fits with our plans…I say go for it!!!

Go Fins!!!

Originally posted by Sal Lisitano
Option 3 – With all that’s happened to this organization in the off-season and especially in the past 24 hours…I would not be surprised if this actually occurred. "This scenario simply IS NOT going to happen but this is fantasy land and I'm curious to see how many of you feel the team should go this route.†Don’t be surprised if this occurs Cranx!!!

Option 2 – Only and I mean only if the Fins seriously upgrade their O-Line…big time!!! I want John Tait at RT…an upgrade at RG and possibly even LG.

Option 1 - I would like Brunell here no doubt my choice…but who the hell is he saying that no way he goes to a team that’s going to draft a young QB…hello, you’re the one that will need a job very soon. He should take advice from Junior Seau…I need this team more than the team needs me!!! Option 1 is the one I voted for but if we have a chance at a great young QB and it fits with our plans…I say go for it!!!

Go Fins!!!

Again, HE said this in an article not two days ago. There will be no shortage of suitors for his services and many of them will be looking at him as their solution at QB with no thoughts towards drafting another QB.

In this case you're entirely wrong about the him needing the 'Fins more than the 'Fins needing him; he has plenty of teams that are interested and will pay him the money he's looking for and the only reason he's high on Miami is because it's close to home for him, otherwise, he can sit back and let the bids roll in since he is THE marquee QB name on the market this offseason.

If he stinks it up...he'll get benched anyway...no matter if its a young qb or an old qb behind him...I just think that he'll be told that he's the starter...its up to him to keep the starting position...I think that he'll come to grips with having a young qb behind him...The Jags situtation is different than the Fins situation...I think Brunell realizes that the Fins need to win NOW. The Jags don't have the...window is closing on us really soon mentality.

Go Fins!!!

Originally posted by dusty_hog
Number 2. Doesn't matter who the QB is the upcoming year, still have an idiot coach. Might as well draft a QB who can learn what NOT to do for a year or 2 until Jay and Wanny are history, then the franchise can regain some respect.

Unfortunately i have to totally agree.

I would love to see Rivers here, if not Henson.

But this team will simply not compete next year. I can't see Miami getting to the playoffs without Wannstedt in charge.

I aint gonna bash Jay because the guy gets TOO much abuse.

But Miami isn't going anywhere until we can compete with New England, let along the best of the AFC and for that elusive Super Bowl ring.

cranx, just cause he said it doesnt mean it's the bottom line, marino said he was ready to get started and denied reports he was resigning, so what...
lets look at it logically and you tell me which teams would be looking at him as a solution to their QB situation for the next 3-4 years.

oakland-maybe because norv wants him, and they would draft fitzgerald first, but even they want to give tuiasosopo a shot and will look do draft someone in the future if hes not the answer. plus brunell doesnt want to go cross country that far away from his home and family this late in his career
so lets go team by team that would be interested
NE-no
Buffalo-no
Jets-no
Miami- yes
baltimore-no
pitt-no
browns-maybe now that ron wolf is there (but still have couch/holcomb to deal with)
indy-no
tenn-no
jax-no
houston-no
kc-no
denver-no
oakland-yes
san diego-maybe if they trade brees and dont draft manning
philly-no
dallas-yes
nyg-no
wash-no
gb-no
minn-no
chicago-no
det-no
carolina-no
saints-maybe if they give up on AB
TB-no
Atl-no
stl-no
sea-no
SF-likely to look younger with rattay/dorsey
arizona-no

that leaves us with a generous list of
browns, oakland, san fran, san diego, dallas, saints

at the absolute most to compete with us. How many of them do you think will offer him a guaranteed starting job for the next 3 years?
I wouldnt guarantee any, but if you do...
now stack that team up against miami being in his home town, coming off a 10-6 season, talented weapons all over the field and a good defense and you think he wouldnt give us serious consideration with or without henson?

That's exactly how I want it to be.

1-Brunell
2-Rosenfels/Ray
3-Henson

cut fee fee, griese
Concur with this post.

Originally posted by Cranx
You can't have it both ways here bro as there is absolutely no way that you convince Brunell that Henson-- a guy who would have gone #1 overall two years ago-- would not be a threat to his job. Think about it logically for a minute: as soon as Brunell goes on a two or three game skid with some poor passing results (whether they're his fault or not) the fans are going to be screaming for his head and crying for Henson (or whoever the rookie is) to get his shot. There is NO way around that fact as that is just the way things work in the NFL. Brunell WILL NOT come to Miami, nor will he go to any other team, unless he is THE man for the foreseeable future (unless of course nobody else wants him then he'll have to settle but that simply isn't going to happen.)

You can't "have your cake and eat it too" here; you HAVE to chose one way or the other.
Brunnel has been in this game long enough to know that a team can't ignore its future with a 30-something starting QB. Especially one that hasn't done much. We've done that for far too long already. Is he better than what we've got right now? YES Is he the future of ANY organization? NO He is a stop-gap for anyone that signs him until he proves otherwise. If his ego can't see/accept that, then we don't need him.

Originally posted by Boomer
Brunell is realistic enough to know that Henson isn't going to be ready for 2 seasons.

:up:

cut fee fee, griese

I agree with this however it does not fit within the confines of the original question. It may be possible, but not the answer to THIS question. Therefore I would go with Griese/Henson/Ray. With an improved line and another year (including a preseason) he may be servicable which is more than I can say for Jay.

sure it does fit into the confines of this queation, look at option 4

Back
Top Bottom