Why all the dissatisfaction with Wanny? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why all the dissatisfaction with Wanny?

FinfanInBuffalo

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
Just curious. I'd be interested in hearing logical, thoughtful feedback. Keep your 'cuz' he's a #@%$&' comments to yourself.

- His record is among the best in the NFL (31 - 17)
- I believe the current talent level is higher than at any point in the last decade.
- He has the respect of his players.
- He is willing to make the difficult, unpopular decision when he thinks it is the right move for the team (Marino, Gardiner)
- He made the move the bring in a coordinator that could be a threat to his job because he was the best person for the OC position.
- He doesn't make excuses

Compare his record to JJ's - 31-17 vs 36-28.
BTW, Wanny took over a team that had won 29 games in the prior 3 years and so did JJ.

Compare the decisions made vs. JJ's

- Bring in good character guys rather than potential felons (Collins, Phillips, etc.)
- Hire real coordinators (Turner vs. Kippy Brown)
- Keep the team playing as a team vs. the turmoil under JJ

Over the last three years the Fins have been considered legitimate contenders by NFL experts. During JJ's era it was mostly hype surrounding JJ and his SB prediction.

Seriously, name the coaches you would pick over Wanny and do you really think that JJ did a better job?

We just seem to "lose it" when it counts. Let me ask you this seeing that you live in Buffalo. Do you pick on the fans there for the 4 straight superbowl losses? I'm asking because if we truly believe that Wanny is always so close and this deserves respect and recognition then why do we tell the Jills that they sucked because they couldn't pull it off. In either scenario it's like clearing the table every game and then missing the 8 ball. I don't know if we're chokers or if the bills were chokers but it does have that feel.

I only pull out the 4 SB losses when the sh*t gets too deep. Marv Levy and Jim Kelly are in the HOF because of those seasons. My knock on the Bills was that they didn't make any changes to take the next step. They seemed to stand pat each year until the core of the team was too old.

The perception that the Dolphins lose it in crunch time pre-dates Wanny by more than 20 years.

The Dolphins have especially high expectations because of their history. In hindsight I think in many of those years, the expectations were unrealistic.

That said, I don't believe they are now. This should be a very good team this year. We are thin at OL. If we can avoid too many injuries, we have as good a shot as anyone in the AFC. I will grade Wanny on how well the team performs under the circumstances.

As you've so well pointed out..the team is very talented...So it's no longer a coach problem if the team loses..This team has got to pick up the ball and run..The D has been in the top 5 the past 3 year..so Wannies on track there..He's brought in McKnight, Fielder, Ricky, McMicheals, Nails, Seth, D. Ward, Lucas, Changed the OL, going with the best 5, trying to find a O that would compliment the D...He's now increasing the talent on the D and bring in a whole new WR corp..to up grade the O..our RB's are talented..our OL is improved depth wise.
We may have many gems in the Draft..Charlie Rogers is now one of the KR and PR who may help us out. Wanny has not stayed with the status quo in trying to get better..He has a core..but he's surrounding them with talent..plus the addition of Norv as O coord...Can't say he's not trying..but you can only put the team together. they have to execute on the field..Time for them to put up..it's now definetly on the team..the coaching staff is there..but the players make plays..This Wanny can't only stand on the sidelines and watch..especially if he's manage the game to put us in a winning position.

I agree with your assessment. It's up to the players now.

What I like about Wanny's changes is that he is not throwing out the baby with the bath water. After JJ's gigantic ego, Wanny is refreshing.

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo
Just curious. I'd be interested in hearing logical, thoughtful feedback. Keep your 'cuz' he's a #@%$&' comments to yourself.

- I believe the current talent level is higher than at any point in the last decade.
- He is willing to make the difficult, unpopular decision when he thinks it is the right move for the team (Marino, Gardiner)
- He made the move the bring in a coordinator that could be a threat to his job because he was the best person for the OC position.

BTW, Wanny took over a team that had won 29 games in the prior 3 years and so did JJ.

- Bring in good character guys rather than potential felons (Collins, Phillips, etc.)

Over the last three years the Fins have been considered legitimate contenders by NFL experts. During JJ's era it was mostly hype surrounding JJ and his SB prediction.

Seriously, name the coaches you would pick over Wanny and do you really think that JJ did a better job?

I like Wannstedt for all the reasons you state. Things could be a lot worse. However, I think the reason people are upset with him is due to two, related factors: 1) late season collapses - we've played poorly in December (of course, we have in the last 10-12 years - but Wanny hasn't been able to get the team to be "hot" at the right time); and 2) We haven't advanced significantly in the playoffs (didn't make it last year).

A third factor - some of the top guys on the team were JJ picks (Zach, JT, Surtain, Madison, Dixon). The jury is still out on his overall drafting since he's been here (though Spielman is a big factor in this as well).

If we had made it to the AFC championship and gotten close to the SB, I think fans would think differently. But, the fact that we got hammered by Baltimore and Oakland in our two playoff losses, then collapsed in the last two games last year, hurts him. He's just continued the trend that started in the mid 90's as a result of not enough talent.

Finally, I think fans are looking for a guy who adds an emotional spark (someone like a Parcells, Gruden, JJ, etc.). Those guys seem to have charisma and are great motivational coaches. Wanny is a good guy, in my estimation, and a solid coach, but he's neither the X's and O's genius (ala Walsh, Landry, Holmgren, types), nor the "button pusher" that a Gruden is. From what I've heard from other fans, they feel we generally have the talent but need a coach who will get the players going at a higher level (just read about the Cowboys mini-camp this week).

Some others don't like Fiedler and b/c of that, they blame Wanny for not getting a top QB. I guess they think Marino won 4-5 SB's. But, the QB situation is a debatable one, I admit.

I really think is Wanny's image that bothers people. I admit, he is boring.

JJ gets the attention because of his big mouth. I am glad he is gone and would much rather have Wanny than him. JJ is one of those coaches that reads his own press clippings. He is convinced that he is a master motivator because of all of the crap that he pulls.

The only draft pick that looks bad so far is Fletcher, but the jury is still out. Everyone from last years draft is still around. Fletcher, Chambers, Greenwood, and Minor from 2001 have all made contributions.

Spielman and Wanny have a different drafting style. They have also made more effective FA decisions. JJ's ego forced him to do it via the draft so it would be 'his' team. His biggest FA contributers (Jones, Marion) were his picks in Dallas.

Wanny actually reminds me of Belichick. Belichick was generally considered a below average HC until he won the SB. He had a successful career as a defensive assistant to a 'legendary' HC. That was followed by an unsuccessful run as a HC with his first team. Lets hope that Wanny will make the comparison really scary by winning the SB this year.

I am dissatisfied with Dave Wannstedt because our talent level goes up every year, but our performance goes down. He isn't a good motivator at all. Hopefully this year the trend won't continue, and I think it won't because we just have way too much talent to win just 9 games.

Well said Ice.
Our record this year went backwards despite the upgrade in talent. Also JJ did bring us the nucleus of our defense. How much credit can Dave take for that? It has been the reason his record looks good. Dave has done some good things. Chambers, Ricky, Seau, McMichael, Norv Turner. But I think he is not a very good game coach. We don't seem to make the adjustments we need to win games or turn them around.

It's funny you refer the talent being the best in ten years, but we still can't even make a serious playoff threat. Dave's last error is he is sticking to Fiedler to tight. QB has been an issue and will be until we make a change.

My counter question would be why can't Dave seem to advance this team despite it's talent?

Originally posted by fin-atic
Well said Ice.
Our record this year went backwards despite the upgrade in talent. Also JJ did bring us the nucleus of our defense. How much credit can Dave take for that? It has been the reason his record looks good. Dave has done some good things. Chambers, Ricky, Seau, McMichael, Norv Turner. But I think he is not a very good game coach. We don't seem to make the adjustments we need to win games or turn them around.

It's funny you refer the talent being the best in ten years, but we still can't even make a serious playoff threat. Dave's last error is he is sticking to Fiedler to tight. QB has been an issue and will be until we make a change.

My counter question would be why can't Dave seem to advance this team despite it's talent?

I disagree, Dave will get rid of your butt if you don't produce..That's usually motivation enough..each player should want to win a SB..so if Dave has to motivate, then we've lost already...There's enough players on this team to motivate..Name a QB that Dave couldv't gotten that would take us to the promise land...Again, Players make plays, not coaches..the fact the team starts so well, tell you they're well coached..some type of adjustment must be made..we beat Oakland, Denver, the Jets, the Pats, Indy..all better than avg teams..So I don't buy it's the coach..no it's definetly the players..they get paid alot of money to play and make plays, and you can't say they haven't had the opportunity..Why couldn't any coach..Shula, JJ before advance this team to the SB...They've all had talented team..Shula last year team had 19 1st rd picks...It's the players.

Originally posted by FinfanInBuffalo

1st many fans had a very low opinion of him before he even came here, because of his days in Chi-Town.

Then his continuing of the conservative type of football has worn itself out here in Miami. We've had to put up with that since JJ got here in '96.

His decision to keep Bates for me has not exactly made me happy with Wanny, but I'll be damned if I'm going to bash my team day in day out like some do.

Oliver...

Originally posted by fin-atic
Well said Ice.

We went backwards because of some ppl's choice for starting QB sucked, Lucas.

Oliver...

JJ played the draft well, but you can't say it was his ego that made him do it that way because he wanted it to be "his" team.....he pushed HARD for John Randle AND Sean Gilbert a few years ago, both would have been HUGE signings at the time(thank god we didn't sell out and overopay for gilbert)......

JJ also signed a very productive fred barnett at WR, but people don't remember how he got hurt and was never the same.....it was a good move at the time that didn't pan out because of injury......can't fault him for injuries like that.......

i am obviously an adamant JJ supporter.......i realize he had his faults, but he brought a whole lot ofgood to a franchise that was in danger of tanking(due to the salary cap HELL that shula left us with...) and never brought us below .500 even tho we relied on young players at almost every position.....

i think jj gets a raw deal.....all coaches have ego's......and i think you DESERVE to be a "bit" big headed if you can win BACK TO BACK super bowls.....how many coaches have EVER done that? very few.....

Back
Top Bottom