Why all the dissatisfaction with Wanny? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why all the dissatisfaction with Wanny?

another reason i think wanny is not well liked is because of the way he was hired.....jj hand picked him and since a lot of fans resented JJ they resented "his choice" to replace himself, with his buddy......

fans wanted spurrier and some other "flashier" name coaches and were outraged when wanny was brought in......he was in a no win situation and the only way he'd really be accepted by the fans was to get to a super bowl......

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
JJ played the draft well, but you can't say it was his ego that made him do it that way because he wanted it to be "his" team.....he pushed HARD for John Randle AND Sean Gilbert a few years ago, both would have been HUGE signings at the time(thank god we didn't sell out and overopay for gilbert)......

JJ also signed a very productive fred barnett at WR, but people don't remember how he got hurt and was never the same.....it was a good move at the time that didn't pan out because of injury......can't fault him for injuries like that.......

i am obviously an adamant JJ supporter.......i realize he had his faults, but he brought a whole lot ofgood to a franchise that was in danger of tanking(due to the salary cap HELL that shula left us with...) and never brought us below .500 even tho we relied on young players at almost every position.....

i think jj gets a raw deal.....all coaches have ego's......and i think you DESERVE to be a "bit" big headed if you can win BACK TO BACK super bowls.....how many coaches have EVER done that? very few.....

JJ is my all time FAV HC, college or in the NFL. But after his mother died in 1998 he was no longer the JJ we all loved, well most or some loved. :D He actually started thinking about other things than football.

Oliver...

Originally posted by fin-atic
Well said Ice.
Our record this year went backwards despite the upgrade in talent. Also JJ did bring us the nucleus of our defense. How much credit can Dave take for that? It has been the reason his record looks good. Dave has done some good things. Chambers, Ricky, Seau, McMichael, Norv Turner. But I think he is not a very good game coach. We don't seem to make the adjustments we need to win games or turn them around.

It's funny you refer the talent being the best in ten years, but we still can't even make a serious playoff threat. Dave's last error is he is sticking to Fiedler to tight. QB has been an issue and will be until we make a change.

My counter question would be why can't Dave seem to advance this team despite it's talent?

How many of you actually believe that Lucas didn't cost us at least two games?

Factor that in and we're 11-5. The way the team was playing through week 6 was great. 12-4 or 13-3 was definitely achievable. Miami with home field advantage in the playoffs would be a beautiful thing. All three of Wanny's season would have beat all of JJ's seasons.

My response to most of the def talent being from JJ is - of course. JJ only upgraded the defense. He left the offense in shambles. Most of Wanny and Spielman's efforts have been to upgrade the offense. It would have been stupid to mess with the defense too much. BTW, only 5 - 6 (depending if Sammy Knight comes here) of the projected starters were added by JJ. There has also been significant turnover in the backups.

The offense is 100% better than JJ's teams when it is healthy. Thats with a QB that is no comparison to Marino. JJ promised a running game every year and didn't deliver. Wanny has had two 1000yd rushers in 3 years. I also think the defense is improved.

Barring the type of injurie the team suffered last year, I expect a 12-4 or 13-3 season.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
JJ played the draft well, but you can't say it was his ego that made him do it that way because he wanted it to be "his" team.....he pushed HARD for John Randle AND Sean Gilbert a few years ago, both would have been HUGE signings at the time(thank god we didn't sell out and overopay for gilbert)......

JJ also signed a very productive fred barnett at WR, but people don't remember how he got hurt and was never the same.....it was a good move at the time that didn't pan out because of injury......can't fault him for injuries like that.......

i am obviously an adamant JJ supporter.......i realize he had his faults, but he brought a whole lot ofgood to a franchise that was in danger of tanking(due to the salary cap HELL that shula left us with...) and never brought us below .500 even tho we relied on young players at almost every position.....

i think jj gets a raw deal.....all coaches have ego's......and i think you DESERVE to be a "bit" big headed if you can win BACK TO BACK super bowls.....how many coaches have EVER done that? very few.....

My issue with JJ is that he refused to use Marino's talent. It became a personal vendetta to prove that Miami could win with Marino in handcuffs. He was dead set on running his offense without the talent to do it. I use to curse at the TV while JJ's offense went...

1st down run - no gain
2nd down run - no gain
3rd down - Dan, please bail us out!

In Marino's last year, scoring was way off. I heard a stat near the end of the season. Miami had attempted the fewest passes in the red zone than any team in the league! The greatest QB of all time was guiding a high school offense. Just pitiful.

I loved the Barnett pick at the time. Yatil Green was also bad luck. John Avery, Cecil Collns, JJ Johnson, Lawrence Phillips, Jerris McPhail, Larry Shannon, Troy Drayton, etc. are all on JJ.

Ultimately Shula and JJ failed at the end for backing a coach that didn't deserve to be a coordinator at the NFL level.

No one earns the right for their ego to be placed above the good of an entire franchise. Isn't it odd that the biggest end of season collapse of all belongs to JJ (62-7)?

JJ became a big joke. He was a caricature of himself at the end.

My final comment is BARRY SWITZER won a SB with the Dallas team!!!!!

JJ as a GM, fine. JJ as a coach, doesn't wash.

As you've so well pointed out..the team is very talented...So it's no longer a coach problem if the team loses..This team has got to pick up the ball and run..The D has been in the top 5 the past 3 year..so Wannies on track there..He's brought in McKnight, Fielder, Ricky, McMicheals, Nails, Seth, D. Ward, Lucas, Changed the OL, going with the best 5, trying to find a O that would compliment the D...He's now increasing the talent on the D and bring in a whole new WR corp..to up grade the O..our RB's are talented..our OL is improved depth wise.
We may have many gems in the Draft..Charlie Rogers is now one of the KR and PR who may help us out. Wanny has not stayed with the status quo in trying to get better..He has a core..but he's surrounding them with talent..plus the addition of Norv as O coord...Can't say he's not trying..but you can only put the team together. they have to execute on the field..Time for them to put up..it's now definetly on the team..the coaching staff is there..but the players make plays..This Wanny can't only stand on the sidelines and watch..especially if he's manage the game to put us in a winning position.

Jesus, thank you my friend someone finally understand..Well said, I couldn't of said it better..

I like Wanny and some of the things that he's done. He's good person too.I'm rooting for him but at the same time this is it.they have to win this year or he could be gone.

Actually for whoever said that Wannstead isn't a genius of x's an o's then let me tell you. Dave wannstead is a great defensive coach and knows how to find good defensive personel as well. He's led the Hurricanes to a national championship with his great defensive mind. He improved the defense that was ranked 20th in the nation to 3rd and that year hurricanes won the National tittle. Jimmy Johnson called him to dallas and he made most of the defensive player personel choices and he took one of the worst defenses in the league to a 13 and the following year he took them to number one overall and was the youngest defense to be ranked number one over all and dallas won the superbowl. If you don't think he's an expert in a particular field then you don't know what you are talking about. He has a national championship ring and a superbowl ring as defensive coordinator.
He could have gotten the pittsburgh job in 1992 but he opted out to stay with dalllas then he took on the chicago bears which was a franchise that was on its knees. He improved the team but different general manager changes hurt his posture with the team and then he was fired.

Originally posted by finheavenfan
Actually for whoever said that Wannstead isn't a genius of x's an o's then let me tell you. Dave wannstead is a great defensive coach and knows how to find good defensive personel as well. He's led the Hurricanes to a national championship with his great defensive mind. He improved the defense that was ranked 20th in the nation to 3rd and that year hurricanes won the National tittle. Jimmy Johnson called him to dallas and he made most of the defensive player personel choices and he took one of the worst defenses in the league to a 13 and the following year he took them to number one overall and was the youngest defense to be ranked number one over all and dallas won the superbowl. If you don't think he's an expert in a particular field then you don't know what you are talking about. He has a national championship ring and a superbowl ring as defensive coordinator.
He could have gotten the pittsburgh job in 1992 but he opted out to stay with dalllas then he took on the chicago bears which was a franchise that was on its knees. He improved the team but different general manager changes hurt his posture with the team and then he was fired.

Yeah it's actually one of his strengths, that and adjustments from half time for the 2nd half of the game each week.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom