Why are so many people opposed to giving Griese a Chance? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why are so many people opposed to giving Griese a Chance?

DolphinVJ

Active Roster
Reaction score
The way Fiedler has played so far this year, can Griese really do much worse? Why are so many people opposed to giving Griese a Chance?

Please give your reasons.

Originally posted by DolphinVJ
The way Fiedler has played so far this year, can Griese really do much worse? Why are so many people opposed to giving Griese a Chance?

Yes potentially it could be worse. Whenever you make a change at QB it's a risk. That's why most teams make that change when things are bad as far as the team record.

However it could also pay off in a big way.

Oliver...

yeah do you not remember last year. It can get a whole lot worse i.e. instead of winning ugly and losing close ones, we could go to losing ugly and getting blown out. Here's for BG and the long ball, because hanging out at FH has me under the impression that that will solve all our problems, hopefully it will.

Familiarity with the offense (or lack thereof)
Lack of timing, cohesion with the receivers
Rust
Still not 100% (toe)
Started practicing just over a week ago.
Pass protection
Locker room ramifications

I'm not adamantly opposed to the idea. I just want it to be the right decision. I want it to be a decisive one. I don't subscribe this idea of "lets give the other QB(s) a chance. It can't be any worse. If it doesn't work out...oh well". Doesn't work like that IMO. And I feel that it can get MUCH worse.

Yes it could be worse. Here is why:

1. QB controversies are terrible for a team
2. Griese has no mobility, and he would get killed behind our offensive line
3. People knock on Jay's arm, but Griese doesn't exactly have a gun either.

I would rather have Griese for this week. Our easiest game left this season, Fiedler needs atleast a week, don't BS me that he should start and get it injured worse, plus the QB thing needs to be settled.

I'm going to give my personal reason, and then get back to studying Managerial Accounting (fun fun... not).

I am personally not opposed to seeing Griese back there. (See my reply to DrAstroZoom's latest article ). Heck, I'm all for giving what the people want, however, it's not the answer. I want Griese to go out there and prove that fact.

The fact is, you can say that I have been "pro-Fiedler" or whatever, but I'm truly not. I've been saying that he's the best man for the job... currently. I say this knowing that Fiedler is not the greatest passer of all time. I say this knowing that Fiedler isn't that great of a passer period. However, I also say this knowing that Griese isn't as mobile Fiedler, doesn't have the knowledge of Fiedler, and has yet to impress me.

Here is why... and yes, I'm going to bring out the stat book (NFL.com only goes back to 01 anyways) as, for once, his stats against a GOOD defense show his true self.

12/02/01 @Miami
He completed 18 of 33 passes for 135 yards, one TD and one INT. He also had one sack, producing a QB rating of 54.5
Result: L: 10-21

10/13/02 Miami
He completed 27 of 46 passes for 335 yards, one TD and two INTs. He had three sacks, producing a QB rating of 70.5
Result: L 24-22

....Jay Fiedler....

12/02/01 Denver
He complete 18 of 28 passes for 176 yards, one TD. Zero sacks, producing a quarterback rating of 93.8

10/13/02 @Denver
He completed 19 of 29 passes for 210 yards, zero TD, one INT. Two sacks, producing a QB rating of 72.5.

Ok, so I'm not going to sit here and say that Fiedler played excellent compared to Griese in those games. However, I will say that both quarterbacks played great defenses, and one came out victorious in both. And let's face it, any good team we face down the road this season will have a good defense, which Griese has played poor against.

Finally, I will say that if Griese comes out and plays great against not only the Chargers but also the Colts, I will admit that I analyzed Griese wrong. But please, for the sake of my sanity, don't call me a Fiedler hugger or hater or some other ridiculous name. I am simply stating my opinion. Yes, I am defending Jay, but rightfully so. Griese had a better O-line and WRs, and was unable to perform well. Miami, to date, does not even have an average O-line and has pretty good WRs and TEs, something that MAYBE Miami may have.

Anyways, until sometime later... that's why I believe Fiedler is the better man for the job currently.

But... as this discussion grows, and it will... remember that we all have a similar goal for these Miami Dolphins, and thats a Superbowl. Some fans analyze the team differently than others, and that should be understood and respected. Additionally, we are all Miami Dolphin FANS, there is no need to put additional labels such as: Fiedler/Griese Hater, Fiedler/Griese Hugger, etc.

I have spoken my word... I have ate dinner... and now I must working on passing my next exam...

Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
I'm going to give my personal reason, and then get back to studying Managerial Accounting (fun fun... not).

I am personally not opposed to seeing Griese back there. (See my reply to DrAstroZoom's latest article ). Heck, I'm all for giving what the people want, however, it's not the answer. I want Griese to go out there and prove that fact.

The fact is, you can say that I have been "pro-Fiedler" or whatever, but I'm truly not. I've been saying that he's the best man for the job... currently. I say this knowing that Fiedler is not the greatest passer of all time. I say this knowing that Fiedler isn't that great of a passer period. However, I also say this knowing that Griese isn't as mobile Fiedler, doesn't have the knowledge of Fiedler, and has yet to impress me.

Here is why... and yes, I'm going to bring out the stat book (NFL.com only goes back to 01 anyways) as, for once, his stats against a GOOD defense show his true self.

12/02/01 @Miami
He completed 18 of 33 passes for 135 yards, one TD and one INT. He also had one sack, producing a QB rating of 54.5
Result: L: 10-21

10/13/02 Miami
He completed 27 of 46 passes for 335 yards, one TD and two INTs. He had three sacks, producing a QB rating of 70.5
Result: L 24-22

....Jay Fiedler....

12/02/01 Denver
He complete 18 of 28 passes for 176 yards, one TD. Zero sacks, producing a quarterback rating of 93.8

10/13/02 @Denver
He completed 19 of 29 passes for 210 yards, zero TD, one INT. Two sacks, producing a QB rating of 72.5.

Ok, so I'm not going to sit here and say that Fiedler played excellent compared to Griese in those games. However, I will say that both quarterbacks played great defenses, and one came out victorious in both. And let's face it, any good team we face down the road this season will have a good defense, which Griese has played poor against.

Finally, I will say that if Griese comes out and plays great against not only the Chargers but also the Colts, I will admit that I analyzed Griese wrong. But please, for the sake of my sanity, don't call me a Fiedler hugger or hater or some other ridiculous name. I am simply stating my opinion. Yes, I am defending Jay, but rightfully so. Griese had a better O-line and WRs, and was unable to perform well. Miami, to date, does not even have an average O-line and has pretty good WRs and TEs, something that MAYBE Miami may have.

Anyways, until sometime later... that's why I believe Fiedler is the better man for the job currently.

But... as this discussion grows, and it will... remember that we all have a similar goal for these Miami Dolphins, and thats a Superbowl. Some fans analyze the team differently than others, and that should be understood and respected. Additionally, we are all Miami Dolphin FANS, there is no need to put additional labels such as: Fiedler/Griese Hater, Fiedler/Griese Hugger, etc.

I have spoken my word... I have ate dinner... and now I must working on passing my next exam...

Great post good luck on the exam

nice post, AJ. i don't think griese is the man for the job because of the lack of mobility and lack of familiarity with the O. the locker room stuff factors in as well. i'm not against griese personally, and all i want is wins out of this team. i am not one who places blame on the QB, that's as old as the game itself, and it seems like this offense has a lot more problems than #9. as soon as griese goes in, though (if it happens) i'll be rooting for him and defending him if i see fit.

Well I liken it to Finance. We currently know our net present value with Jay Fiedler. That value is around 9 wins. We can take a risk reward based on the fact that an annuity may pay off with a higher future value based on return and history of success. (with that history comes a short history of failure as well)

We have to weigh a risk reward situation, the higher the risk, it had better come with an increased rate of return as well. The debate will be if the rate of return goes up with Griese. If the investor is happy with his rate of return of 9-10 wins and a playoff game, then stay with the investment you currently have and sleep well at night knowing what you have.

You could play the market and hope the risk on investment with Griese will result in a payoff and the return will be higher. The risk of failure will be 7 wins or less and that is real decision the coaching staff must take. Is the net present value high enough for everyone to stick with our initial investment, or should we gamble a higher risk of return for an equally higher risk of loss?

I like to take a calculated gamble when we already know our investment level and what we should reasonably expect as a return out of it. (all investments can take an unexpected return as well)

Fiedler NPV-9
Griese +- 11

Gamble for greatness anyone?

Originally posted by Muck
Familiarity with the offense (or lack thereof)
Lack of timing, cohesion with the receivers
Rust
Still not 100% (toe)
Started practicing just over a week ago.
Pass protection
Locker room ramifications

I'm not adamantly opposed to the idea. I just want it to be the right decision. I want it to be a decisive one. I don't subscribe this idea of "lets give the other QB(s) a chance. It can't be any worse. If it doesn't work out...oh well". Doesn't work like that IMO. And I feel that it can get MUCH worse.

If they make the move I don't want to see Fiedler in there again. I can't stand when teams make changes and do not stick with their decisions. I don't want to see a time when this team has to worry about who is going to start each week. If they go with Griese they need to stick with him.

Oliver...

Because Griese didn't do much better with more proven talent... Plus he has less heart, mobility, and drive... He may even be MORE fragile then Fiedler.

One good reason....

Watching him play for Broncos last year...Anyways if Fiedler is injured and Griese does well then I would support a QB change.

Originally posted by Oliver

If they make the move I don't want to see Fiedler in there again. I can't stand when teams make changes and do not stick with their decisions. I don't want to see a time when this team has to worry about who is going to start each week. If they go with Griese they need to stick with him.

Oliver...

But what if it is determined that Fiedler's injury is significant enough to merit him sitting out for a week?

I.e., Griese would be starting out of necessity, and not choice.

Back
Top Bottom