Why didnt you just keep Welker? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why didnt you just keep Welker?

ThePats

pats
Reaction score
I mean you traded Welker to us who is a pretty good special teams player only to draft another very good special teams player. Not to mention Ginn is 177 pounds? Why didnt you guys just keep him?

I mean you traded Welker to us who is a pretty good special teams player only to draft another very good special teams player. Not to mention Ginn is 177 pounds? Why didnt you guys just keep him?

Might have had something to do with the 5-year, $18.1 million offer the Pats signed him to... :rolleyes2

Can you say "poison pill?" Good, I knew you could... :lol:

Well....you got Beck to throw him the ball and probably Trent Green to mentor Beck, but a case can be made for your needs on both lines, your aging DE's, and 2nd rate secondary trumping a receiver.

Even a good one like Ginn.

I hope for your sake the Fin brain trust goes O line the rest of the way.

There was no poison pill. Welker would have gotten that contract if the trade did not occur.​

...and Miami would have made them pay it if they hadn't sweetened the pot with a 7th rounder...

Miami sure wouldn't have paid him that much... :rolleyes2

Here's what happened, in a nutshell:

New England offered Welker an offer he couldn't refuse and that Miami would never match.

New England then decided they didn't want to pay that much for Welker, either, so they came up with offering an additional 7th rounder if Miami would trade rather than let the offer go through...

Pretty simple, huh? :shakeno:​

welkers is slow, ginn is fast...veeeerrrrrryyyy fast.ginn gives us a big play guy and someone to take pressure off chambers with his big play ability, i mean comon, no one is afraid of welker which is why he was open alot of the time.

Welker is a little machine,the guy never drops the ball and can take on any hit.But his fastest days are behind him.He's consistant as hell,but not really a gamebreaker like Ginn.

...and Miami would have made them pay it if they hadn't sweetened the pot with a 7th rounder...

New England offered Welker an offer he couldn't refuse and that Miami would never match.

New England then decided they didn't want to pay that much for Welker, either, so they came up with offering an additional 7th rounder if Miami would trade rather than let the offer go through...

Pretty simple, huh? :shakeno:

SWEETENED THAT POT WITH A 7TH ROUNDER! Because we all know 7th rounders in Miami turn into gold:sidelol:

Pretty simple, huh? :shakeno:
Not as simple as the 18.1Mil is all that he was gonna see anyways, that 38.1Mil or whatever (the $20Mil or so extra, in other words..) was all in the form of some kind of bonus he'd see if Zach Thomas was active for the same 4 games he was active for in the state of Florida during the contract life or something ridiculous.

Miami didn't make them pay anything. The only part of the contract Welker was going to see, he saw when they made the trade because Kraft didn't want to use a poison pill, and Huizenga knew it was going to happen.

And I love how they "sweetened" the pot with a 7th rounder. One Marques Colsten and all of a sudden you hear WE GOT A 7TH ROUNDER?! JACKPOT!!!!!!! WHOOOO BOOK THE TRIP TO ZONA BABY WE GOT OURSELVES ONE OF THE LAST PICKS OF THE DRAFT!!!!!!!

I'm not worried about Ginn, and I'm sure he can add 5 to his frame without losing speed. Welker is definitely not big, and I was surprised to see his weight, since he never seemed to have much of a build, even though Ginn is light he has more build than Welker. Plus, the guys is going to be used everywhere, andI liked Welker, but he was not that great of a returned for Miami, especially last season where he didn't seemt do much. Ginn is explosive and does have a lot of talent. He is obviously raw, but I don't think Miami was just trying to replace special teams but load up for the WR corps. I think Cameron will make good use of Ginn. I liked Welker, but I think Ginn allows big plays or the threat of one everytime has the ball in his hands, and Cameron can do more with him than Welker. Besides, Miami got a second rd pick and 7th round pick for a guy they picked up off the waiver wire for a third Wr and was a slot Wr. I mean think about it, you guys gave up more for Welker than you did for Randy Moss, and Moss is obviously the better more talent WR.

Welker is a little machine,the guy never drops the ball and can take on any hit.But his fastest days are behind him.He's consistant as hell,but not really a gamebreaker like Ginn.

yep

the pats did ruin the whole welker thang...

cam had ginn tonic before the draft and wasnt going to

change his mind... hope he's right...

4.38 I believe.

Anyway the 40 yard dash is overrated as it is done without pads and the players don't make sharp cuts.

Back
Top Bottom