Why didnt you just keep Welker? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why didnt you just keep Welker?

So did Bethal Johnson :sidelol: 40 time is the single most over rated stat in pro-football, it indicates nothing.

That's true in some cases, but look at game film. Ginn plays at his track speed. He out runs people on the track and on the field. It's not like they drafted the OSU track team's 100 meter champion. Ginn is a football player that happens to be freakishly fast.

Did Jerry Rice ever come close to a sub 4.4???

Not relevant.

What most Phin fans don't get is that it makes no difference if Gin is a player or not, the fact is the phins needed much more help in other areas and the moronic Front Office let themselves get wowed by the talent of a kick returner.

What happened to drafting BPA?

Did they forget that they have no QB?

Did you not watch the rest of the draft?

Did they forget that their O-line is just plain sucks?

Did you not watch the rest of the draft?

Did they forget that you don't serve a child desert, before they have had dinner? I hope Phin fans enjoy Gin's talent while they fight for 6 wins this year.

Do you promise to stop watching the Fins games after they have won their 6th game?

Clearly big plays have been lacking from the Fins offense and special teams for years. They must be able to stretch the defense or teams will continue to put 8 men in the box. Put a QB on the field that makes quick decisions and gets the ball to a WR on a hot route accurately and you will see teams back off. When they see Ginn break a few slants, screens, and bombs for TDs, the defenses will keep safeties back. They will be less likely to blitz at every opportunity. They will not gang up on the run. Those changes will make the OL better without any personnel changes.

Our OL has been at a disadvantage for several years because our offense could not make them pay for playing an aggressive, high-risk defense. Questionable QB play and and the lack of a big play threat let opposing defenses tee off on our OL.

If Ginn turns out like Cam and Mueller think he will, that pick will make Ronnie Brown, the entire OL, the QB, the TE, and Chris Chambers better players. How many other draft picks can you say that about?

I thought the Welker situation worked out well for both sides. NE got a guy they hated playing against and has a skillset they love. Miami got a 2nd rounder, and couldn't have matched the poison-pill contract anyway.

If Miami secretly wishes they still had him then they really screwed up by tendering him at only a 2nd. A 1st round tender costs what, an extra 500K? All accounts are that they were perfectly happy with a 2, though.

For all you know, Stallworth will get a suspension for drugs or pull his hammy... again. Say what you want, but I gurantee Welker won't do anything in New England like he did in Miami.

I'd be willing to wager a lot of money Welker will do a lot more in NE than he ever did in Miami. Brady doesn't care how small he is, if he's open he'll get the ball. BB loves his skillset and will make an effort to utilize it. I'd guarantee Welker will score more than 1 or 2 touchdowns each year.

That's a big reason I didn't see a #2 as an overpay for Welker, the fact that NE will likely utilize him to his fullest.

Being relatively short and slow hasn't been much of a problem for Troy Brown, and I think it's pretty clear NE sees Welker as his successor (though we probably won't see him playing DB).

nobody has mentioned Welker only had 1 td last year.

They seem to think TDs aren't important. They also think yards aren't that important, in Welker's case, all that matters to them is receptions. (Which we all know is the least important stat for receviers.

They seem to think TDs aren't important. They also think yards aren't that important, in Welker's case, all that matters to them is receptions. (Which we all know is the least important stat for receviers.

Actually what we think is unimportant is any of his stats with the Dolphins. He was unfortunate enough to have to play for a sinking ship and made the best of what he could. New head coaches different QB's and an offense that wasn't much help certaintly not a true litmus test for Welker or his abilities and certainly not enough to label him as just a 6 or 7 yrd catch WR or a 1 td a yr guy. Lets face it Miami's complete offense wasn't exactly setting the league on fire these last few years.

Actually what we think is unimportant is any of his stats with the Dolphins. He was unfortunate enough to have to play for a sinking ship and made the best of what he could. New head coaches different QB's and an offense that wasn't much help certaintly not a true litmus test for Welker or his abilities and certainly not enough to label him as just a 6 or 7 yrd catch WR or a 1 td a yr guy. Lets face it Miami's complete offense wasn't exactly setting the league on fire these last few years.
Im of the opinion it was a good trade for both sides Wes will give the Pats offense something it was sorely lacking last year a "Money" guy Wes is money he never drops the ball and he finds a way to get open at critical times and he is nifty with the ball in his hands....As for Ginn its pretty obvious the Miamo FO wanted some legit speed on Special Teams and on Offense Ginn will hopefully provide that.. There is no denying on tape he was the fastest man on the field in every game he played...how much of that will translate into NFL production I have no idea.. but being honest about it im looking forward to finding out.

Welker and Ginn are both WR/KR but that is about where the similarities end.

Welker is small, quick possession receiver out of the slot.

Ginn is a home run threat with great straight ahead speed.

They will both be used in very different ways.

After listening to Cameron's press conference after picking Ginn, it sounded like he picked him as a favor to his family or something. Cameron is going to be a disaster for you guys.

After listening to Cameron's press conference after picking Ginn, it sounded like he picked him as a favor to his family or something. Cameron is going to be a disaster for you guys.

pretty lame statement, sounds like you don't know much

I mean you traded Welker to us who is a pretty good special teams player only to draft another very good special teams player. Not to mention Ginn is 177 pounds? Why didnt you guys just keep him?

Probably because you paid more than what we could afford. My question: are you saying the Patriots paid $18.1 million for a special teams player?

As for the rest, it depends on what you think Ginn is capable of.

Ginn is potentially a dynamite special teamer. Easily better than Welker. The question is whether or not you feel he is capable of doing anything on offense.

How much he weighs is of little importance IMO. A lot of the top WRs in the game are about that weight. Heck, Welker probably isn't the 185 he's listed at. And until his own man fell on his foot celebrating, Ginn had no prior history of injuries.

My take on the Ginn-Welker-etc. situation.

I think the Patriots got the PERFECT player for their offense. He is an absolute perfect fit for Brady & Co. I've felt for a very long time that Dolphin Nation in general has underrated how good a receiver Wes Welker is. And I guarantee he'll make an impact in that offense. Especially now that it's clear that the Pats can and will use him properly.

Am I overrating Welker? I don't think so. After he tore up the Pats in Foxboro in 2006, Belichick had him doubled the entire game in Miami. I really wish we could have kept him.

As for Ginn, we really can't say for certain what kind of success he'll have at receiver. His critics say he's only capable of being a vertical guy. At least early on anyway.

I'll take it.

After all, the Patriots signed a similar guy (Donte Stallworth) for just that reason. We haven't had a homerun hitter on offense in a very long time. The closest we got was Chambers as a rookie.

The Dolphins are going to line Ginn up all over the place. In the backfield, behind center, etc. Anything to get the ball in his hands. At receiver, I think they're going to use him much like they did Chris Chambers in 2001. Line him up wide against the 5th DB and let him run simple 9's and comebacks. Basically capitalizing on his speed.

He's got great starting speed. So if you want to press him, you'd better not whif.

well said Muck... and I feel strongly that you are getting the correct read on Wes. For the first time, he will be used properly and once Brady discovers the lil' sucker will pull his fanny out of a hole, he will become "go to". This IMO, is about as close as you can come to a win/win in a trade. THEY got a very good player, WE got a good price.

well said Muck... and I feel strongly that you are getting the correct read on Wes. For the first time, he will be used properly and once Brady discovers the lil' sucker will pull his fanny out of a hole, he will become "go to". This IMO, is about as close as you can come to a win/win in a trade. THEY got a very good player, WE got a good price.

I think the Dolphins started to use him properly last year. Hence why the Pats took notice and decided they had to have him. We generally had him out in the slot running "his" routes. Hopefully they'll be able to spare him some of the returning duties to save his body (I say that as a Welker fan).

I think the biggest difference between Wes in NE and MIA is that he's got a QB that will really show people what he can do.

That, and they've got a much better set of receivers outside of him. I doubt very much that Welker will ever experience double-coverage in a game the way he did in the last NE-MIA game (injuries withstanding). You just can't choose to double Welker all day instead of Moss and Stallworth. You'll get cooked.

And that's what makes that offense so dangerous. We could be facing a more physical incarnation of Vermeil's Rams offenses. When the Rams went outside, many times they became ordinary. And Martz didn't like to run the ball.

While Maroney isn't Faulk and the Rams's 1-3 were collectively stronger than New England's, St. Louis never had (or utilized) a tight end like Ben Watson. They never had a #1 like Randy Moss. They never had the very 'mofo' defense that stopped them cold in Super Bowl XXVI, (which added Adalius Thomas this offseason). They never had the commitment to wearing teams down with the run and saving their defense. And they never were comfortable playing in the sometimes harsh conditions that the Patriots call home.

All of that stuff travels well.

It won't be the pinball offense that the Rams had, but it has the potential to be just as scary in different ways. Those receivers have to stay healthy. And they have to bring their 'A' game.

So to sum up Welker, he may never catch more than the 67 passes he caught last year in Miami. But he'll get 50+ and make his presence felt.

Back
Top Bottom