Why do most think we are 8-8 at best? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why do most think we are 8-8 at best?

Dr. Tomorrow said:
The AFC West is such a soft divison. You have Denver and Kansas City that play absolutly no defense so they are really no factor to beating the really good teams, San Diego finally had a good year, it was gonna happen eventually for them and Oakland I believe is not very good. Just because they bring in a bunch of good free agents doesnt mean their gonna tear apart the NFL. How many teams actually do good when they try to win with just free agents? Not that many. Also our divison is producing the Super Bowl Champion every year with the Patriots and the Jets have gotten out of the first round of playoffs consistently and Bills not saying they have done alot up untill this year may be one the most balanced teams in the league with both a good offense and a good defense. Bottom Line AFC East is more balanced good at every phase of the game while the AFC is good at just offense.

Although I agree. I think KC has made some serious strides to fix that defense and they didnt really lose anything on offense. I think they will win that division.

A record of 8-8 would be decent considering we'll have new offensive and defensive systems in place, and many new players who will need to learn these systems. Plus, the AFC East is tough! Considering all of this, we'd be fine at 8-8 this season. Of course, we'll all hope for more. If Pennington is out for a while and Feebler is at the helm, that could help. Plus, the Bills are integrating a "rookie" QB. Also, who knows what coaching departures will do to the Patriots. With that in mind, I'll take 8-8, but 10-6 is a possibility.

Games are played on the field...not in fans minds or websites...and the Dolphins will play as well as the O-line lets them. IMHO.

Just because we look good on paper does not mean "wins"..., ifwe come 8-8 i'll be pleasantly surprised. but our psyche is key. how we handle Turnovers and how we create them is all key. We have a ***** of a schedule.

we could win 12 games this year or we could win 6. too many things yet to unfold before we have any idea though. my guess is that it is much closer to 12. my reason? this has been a 10 win team for 4 years prior to last season's debacle. last year was just the wannstedt death spiral running it's course. we have some solid talent on both sides of the ball, and now we have great coaching to work with it. oh, and linehan is going to be great for our offense. i think alot of people are going to be suprised and i cant wait.

I think 8-8 is realistic just based on the fact that we have the talent, yet have little cohesiveness as a unit. The team will be learning about Saban and his style as the year goes on and there will be growing pains but the core and leadership of the team mixed with some young raw talents will make for a decent year. I would be happy with 8-8, although I'd be really happy if we can sneak into the post-season. I do think this team could potentially be better than both Buffalo and the Jets.

phunwin said:
We play in the best division in football, that's part of the reason. And you don't go 4-12 without more problems than just Ricky Williams leaving the team. Admittedly, the defense will be younger and healthier than last year, which is good for some improvement, the offense should be better, and coaching should be good for a couple more wins. But a gain of 4 wins is a pretty big deal; I'd be happy with 8-8. I just don't think we're as good as the Bills or Jets right now, let alone the Patriots.

I disagree. Other than QB, name one position where the Jets are clearly better. Maybe O-line, but that's it.
In fact, I'd take our WR's, RB's, D-line, LB's and secondary over the Jets' right now.

Let's consider the long term... we have a new staff, systems and schemes for both offense and defense.... we have new players through FA and the draft.... we have limited time to put the product on the field before the "real' games start... you have the wild card of camp and pre-season injuries....

A reasonable position to take is to look for progress in segments... divide the season into 4 parts..... assess progress after every forth game.... it's going to take time.... chances are the defense will jump out first and the offense will need time to develop... after all it's not reasonable to think the offense will be more than 50-60% installed by the time camp breaks... it will develop thoughout the season depending on the injury factor....

If we increase our YPC by .60, cut INT's for TD's in half.... keep opposing offenses to under 100 yards rushing.... we will be very competitive.... who knows we may even win some close games.....

Progress is what we are after.... if we stay healthy and the above happens the fan base will be very encouraged..... the "W's" will come.

jlfin said:
I disagree. Other than QB, name one position where the Jets are clearly better. Maybe O-line, but that's it.
In fact, I'd take our WR's, RB's, D-line, LB's and secondary over the Jets' right now.
The Jets FRONT 7 is far supperiour to Miami's. In fact it might be the best FRONT 7 in the entire NFL.

And Im not going to take a rookie RB who is unproven over Martin just yet.

rainmaker1313 said:
We were a 10-6 team all along. Ricky left and we had injuries and no one knew who was out starting QB. We fixed out problems and added more depth and a new coach. Why are we only an 8-8 team? I think You are nuts. I think worse case 9-7 and we may be looking at 10-6 or 11-5 with some breaks and surprises. Our defense is good enough to keep all the games close and add our new offensive talent and we are in great shape We will do this to the other teams :chair: :whip2: :bombyou:
Because Aj Feeley is still our qb (at least until Frerotte beats him out in training camp) and the rest of the AFC East is insanely hard.

MikeO said:
The Jets FRONT 7 is far supperiour to Miami's. In fact it might be the best FRONT 7 in the entire NFL.

And Im not going to take a rookie RB who is unproven over Martin just yet.
Agreed entirely on Martin but I dont agree on their front 7. Yes last year it was very strong up front but they lost Jason Ferguson and Josh Evans just retired. Their DT's right now are D-Rob (whos good) and Lance Legree (who was a backup DE with NYG last year and stinks). On top of that as talented as their front 7 is; they arent a physical group that forces TO's. Theyre a read and react group who makes tackles not much differnt than what we had here for years. I believe Saban is constructing a defense thats gonna hit some people in the mouth and I'd much rather have a defense like that. Not to mention our personel is much improved up front and it matches up better with the best teams in the afc right now. We're gonna have to be really physical and really strong to compete with Pitt, NE, Balt, Indy etc

fishypete said:
Games are played on the field...not in fans minds or websites...and the Dolphins will play as well as the O-line lets them. IMHO.

This is so true. The other day I read something about Houck doing alot (more) actual teaching than Wise did. At this point we've got alot of potential and IMO alot to be optimistic about. Even our HC's ability is a question mark at this point.
T. Dungy, J. Mora jr were able to take a team to the playoffs as 1st year HCs.
But alot of others were less successful. I'm optimistic every season, however.
My opinion though, is if our O-line is noticeable improved we have a good chance to compete with everyone.

D-Line

The biggest reason the Dolphins struggled last year was the loss of the 2 defensive tackles. That absolutely killed them. The Dolphins were in every game even with that. Of course Ricky leaving was a close second, but the D-Line problems were devastating. I would not be too surprised if the Dolphins won 10, but on the other hand, based on the division strength, schedule strength, and a whole new coaching staff I wouldn't be surprised if they only won 7.

I'm all for the optimistic 10. That's why the NFL is so great. We have no idea.

After last season, 8-8 is an improvement. I woould love to see us go10-6 or 11-5, but we have to be realalistic we do play in the toughest division and have one of the hardest scheduels out of our division. I would like to see major improvement over last year and so on next season.
DOLPHINS RULE!! GOOD LUCK THIS COMING SEASON!!

Back
Top Bottom