Why does everyone think we need a #3 WR? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why does everyone think we need a #3 WR?

Phinfan31

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Everyone was saying how we didnt draft a #3 WR in this draft and how that was such an important need etc. We have Snoop Minnis who i think can be a very good NFL WR and had a pretty productive season in KC. He could be a damn good slot receiver. We stil have Thompson, while i dont like him he can still be a #3...both those guys would be very solid #3's

It is overreaction to the inadequacies of last year in my opinion. A lot of fans don't seem to take into account what happens in the offseason nearly as much as they probably should.

Don't get me wrong -- I wish we could have gotten value at that position just like I wish we could have gotten value at DT in the draft. It just didn't happen.

Why because we have more wrs right now than we have spots for them on the roster. I like the way Tolver was coming along last yr before injury. Wilkins might be a third as well. it all depends on the new system. AJ, is the key he could make WRS That we have look a whole lot better.Dolfanreal69

yes, we still indeed do have tolver

dolfanreal69,

We also have more OL-men now than we have spots for them on the roster. That didn't stop us from taking what were quite possibly two unnecessary people at that position on day 2...

We got Carey, Smith, James, McKinney, Jerman, Yates, Whitley, St Clair, McIntosh, Hadnot and Pape.

Thats 11 guys. Personally, I think St Clair is crap and because of yesterday, McIntosh is a waste. I don't have high aspirations for Hadnot.

Carey and Smith start at Tackles. McKinney at centre. Theres a battle for RG - Jerman, Whitley, Yates, and, hopefully, Pape.

We didn't draft WR because there wan't value. There is a reason why PK Sam was picked at the end of r.5.

Our receivers are alrite.

1. Chambers (stud)
2. Boston (stud - completes a great tandem)
3. Thompson (I don't like him, but could be good in slot)
4. Tolver

We got another 7 or 8 receviers on the roster, plus add another 3 or 4 undrafted FAs.
BJ Johnson and Justin Jenkins hopefully.

I don't know that there wasn't value, but I think that when there was value, we had other value locked in. I think Sam probably was value, but it would appear that Bua was also value. It's tough to do a strict BPA evaluation on the second day, so I'm not quite as concerned about who was the absolute top value at that point in the draft.

I'm not blasting the team for not taking WR -- I'm just saying that the guys we already have were not a reason IMHO that we avoided the position.

We all have to keep in mind what Collier said a few weeks ago: We are not going to use a lot of 3 WR sets. Why? Because we have McMichael, who is a weapon we need on the field. Once Evans and Clayton were gone, i was glad we did not take a WR. Who after they were taken is better than anyone on or roster now????

Spielman said there were only 2-3 receivers in the second day that he liked better then the guys already on our roster - Tolver, Simmons, Bellamy, Thompson and Wilkins. Once those guys were off the board, WR was no longer a consideration.

I agree with his rationale 100%. Lets see what our young guys (who were also formewr draft picks) can do before givign up on him.

Yeah, we've got way more WR than we can find roster spots for now as it is.

Minnis may well rise to #3, but I think the guy is too small despite his talent. Reminds me of Lamar Thomas: the guy could make some AWESOME Mark Clayton type acrobatic catches, but was too fragile to play in the NFL.

I was totally in the draft-a-better-3rd-WR camp before the draft. There were plenty of threads that outlined why I and others took this position. Many disagreed with us. However, the way the draft unfolded, I have no problems with the fact that we did not pick up another WR. There was not a value pick at WR when we were drafting (at least not a pick that would have been an upgrade over who we have now behind Boston & Chambers). This will give Simmons-Tolver-Thompson-Wilkins-Minnis a chance to prove that we have plenty of WR depth. I am skeptical and believe we will spend a day-one draft pick next year on a WR. I am willing to be open minded, though, and hopeful that my skepticism is unwarranted.

Theres one guy who was undrafted who would've been drafted last year if not for this years depth at the position. His name is BJ Johnson. I believe he has more ability than JR Tolver and would've produced more if it wasnt for that fact that he played behind a WR by the name of Roy Williams. Its guys like this we need to target since they were overshadowed by other players. BTW, Ernest Wilford was taken after the The Vikings pick that we forwarded to them but im still glad that RS did the deal b/c there was a threat and he needed to get his man.

Something else not yet mentioned in this thread, Coach Sullivan! Last year I thought Coach Ford did a poor job of teaching. While Chambers could be an all-pro with the right development, I did not see the improvement in him from year to year that great coaching can bring out. He has already shown what he can do with Boston and Boldin let's see if he can work some of hisd magic on our corps.

Right now on the outside we have Boston, Chambers, Thompson, Tolver, Newsom, and Bellamy. In the slot we have Wilkens, Minnis, and Simmons. I agree with Speilman that most second day guys could not break into the top five against that group.

Back
Top Bottom