Why Guard May Not Be As Big A Problem As We Think | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Guard May Not Be As Big A Problem As We Think

I hope it's a smokescreen to not add a good guard, but I've been saying that for 10 years and it turns out they are just incompetant.

I recently went back and watched a few Bears games and keyed in on Vlad Ducasse at guard, where he started 11 games last season. He's not considered to be anything special, but in a few games that I looked at he looked more than serviceable for Miami's needs. He's currently a free agent and I wonder if the Dolphins will give him a look?

I want to know if anybody else had a chance to watch him much last year and If the Bears offense could make a marginal guard look decent, could Gase do the same thing here with low grade guard talent?

Ducasse is #62 and played right guard in this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK6R4pG_8yA

Absolutely dreadful with the jets...dallas thomas level

Absolutely dreadful with the jets...dallas thomas level

I remember him not looking good with the Jets and Vikings,, but he seemed better with the Bears last year. I was wondering if the Bears offensive scheme played a part in that and could Gase's offense have a similar impact on some of the current Dolphins. Also wondering if Ducasse would be an option since he knows part of the offense and he's a free agent. Hoops if you get a chance to look a few Bears games let me know what you think.

I get the feeling were done making any moves until the draft.

What do we have left about 18M? So 5 M for picks and some money left to sign players for in season injuries and roll the the rest.

You will have some roster juggling and switch out at cut time maybe they try to sign one veteran fairly cheap around that time.

I remember him not looking good with the Jets and Vikings,, but he seemed better with the Bears last year. I was wondering if the Bears offensive scheme played a part in that and could Gase's offense have a similar impact on some of the current Dolphins. Also wondering if Ducasse would be an option since he knows part of the offense and he's a free agent. Hoops if you get a chance to look a few Bears games let me know what you think.

I have no doubts that scheme helps...and that miamis didnt minus the read option which was completely about jump starting the running game due to deficiencies on the oline

i also have no doubts theres a reason ducasse is still a free agent

Id go to the draft and see how i did before i entertained this

I'm glad to see that some of you saw that Benton was NOT the issue. If you watched the change in blocking schemes and approach, Benton vastly improved the concepts being utilized by the team. Before Benton, you almost never saw any real doubles with pass-offs and guys getting to the second level. The problem was that he simply couldn't run the schemes because the players on the field simply couldn't do it. You can't pass a guy off the guy handle the one-on-one after the pass-off. I saw what Benton was trying to do early at the beginning of each season get "compressed" and "limited" due to the fact that he didn't have the players to handle it.

You want to go after coaching...look at the HC, OC, and DC...leave Benton out of it. He was one of the few coaches where I actually saw an impact in what he was "trying" to do...like someone else said, "you can't make chick salad out of chicken ****..."

I know little about Benton. OTOH, I remember Philbin and Benton talking about line play and Thomas in particular. Both seemed to consistently say Thomas had 'a few things to clean up,' which sounds to me like technique. Poor technique over months is resolved by coaching. Not saying Thomas is good and coaching was the ONLY problem, but neither can I say coaching was NOT a problem. Turner/Douglas way prove to be good. Thomas is an orange cone.

Guard is a huge problem and has been. Who really cares how it gets fixed at this point, just fix it, because it is as big a problem as we think it is!

Back
Top Bottom