Why is free agency before the draft? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is free agency before the draft?

I heard Gil Brandt say that the draft used to be around Thanksgiving. Weird.

But, yes it would make more sense for the draft to be before free agency. I think that would make it a little more unpredictable too.

As it is now, every team knows the needs of every team. That could be a little less obvious with free agent plans.

Like I've said previously, I think its because they want to take care of vets first. This is not optimal for team building at all, but it benefits bigger FA contracts, which is something I'd assume the NFLPA wouldnt want to give up.

I mean if teams were disciplined, there's absolutely nothing keeping them from not using the draft to fill holes... Just like there's no one yanking anobody's arm to max out their credit cards instead of saving up to buy nice things...

Like I've said previously, I think its because they want to take care of vets first. This is not optimal for team building at all, but it benefits bigger FA contracts, which is something I'd assume the NFLPA wouldnt want to give up.
This was exactly my thought. They want to take care of the vets first before a team can draft to fill it’s holes. With FA first, you may make different decisions since you can’t guarantee you will be able to get anyone in the draft.

From NFLPA side: the draft being later helps NFL free agents get their contracts done before the draft. As we've seen with draft money pools and such over the years, the NFLPA is always going to get the most for current players over future players.

From Franchise side: the later draft allows more time to evaluate players. They have the combine, then pro days, then individuals workouts/meetings, etc. Not being able to talk to players during the year really limits the information they can gather on some guys.

From the NFL side: the later draft allows for NFL talk year round.....NFL season > NFL Combine > Pre-Draft activities > Rookie/Mini Camps > Pre-season > Season. The more NFL talk year round the better for them.

It makes no sense. Use FA to fill the holes after the draft. Stupid

Actually, according to your logic it makes a lot of sense. You don't know how well a drafted player will be until after his 1st year and that's IF he doesn't get cut or traded or hurt before the end of the season.

That is when you really know how your draft turned out and what positions need help via Free Agency.

Perception is everything!

I deleted my post bc this makes sense. Nothing else about it really seems to tho.

That's a great point. I always thought it had a lot to do with scouting too. Teams want as long as possible to overthink their draft boards and look for information to confirm their own notions of players and ignore the obvious.

It actually does make sense to have it the way it is. You don't see anybody complaining on either side which doesn't happen often.

I have not read any of the responses yet, so excuse me if this has been said...

But...

Free Agency is before the draft because free agency is only a band-aid, you are doing some minor alterations before the REAL way that you team build. They'll be more Free Agents available after the draft too... the cheap ones, the ones that you fill holes with.

The DRAFT is THE event... screw free agency and screw most of the free agents.

Iv mentioned that to my friends. Totally agree

It's also stupid to only have a 53 man roster...
Again, this is where the line is drawn... The more players on rosters, the less each player makes on average. The salary cap gives a limited amount of money to pay players, if you raise the amount of active players, the average player salary goes down. Its not optimal from a team building standpoint, but its fair for all parties involved.

**I used the word fair, I have no idea or opinion about that part. Should've used "this is what they negociated" instead**

Again, this is where the line is drawn... The more players on rosters, the less each player makes on average. The salary cap gives a limited amount of money to pay players, if you raise the amount of active players, the average player salary goes down. Its not optimal from a team building standpoint, but its fair for all parties involved.

**I used the word fair, I have no idea or opinion about that part. Should've used "this is what they negociated" instead**

Mitch-Hedberg.jpeg

Awww c'mon man...why can't you lemme just have that

Back
Top Bottom