Why is Saban a God one week and a bust the next? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is Saban a God one week and a bust the next?

Easy answer.... too many poeple on this board look at it week to week instead of looking at it as a whole. They're like a bunch of yankee fans.

Learning Curve

This next year will see how much Saban has learned. He's made quotes in the past that identify him as not wanting to get the team to riled up only to fizzle out in the latter part of the season. Apparently he learned that from Belichick. Well, two years have gone by and we are just a little too loose to start with, and we have to win out to get in the playoffs. We haven't done that either time, but the second half Dolphin Team is pretty good and fun to watch. Now we need a team the first half of the season that's pretty good. Will Saban have them playing together early next year? If he does, we are in good shape, if not, his learning curve is flat.

cuz most fin fans are sinical

Not being in the playoffs 6 years in a row and not being in the AFC Championship since 1992, a feat which only the Browns, Bengals and Texans have accomplished (with the Browns missing a few seasons and the Texans not in the league until what 2002?), that will make some folks a little cynical.

The QB situation was mishandled, and I remember him saying something at his season-ending presser last year about how last year was the last 16-game season we'd see in a while...that didn't happen. The man's got an ego and doesn't let Randy Mueller run the show. That's my main beef with him, I don't think a lot of his personnel decisions have panned out, granted this coming offseason he'll have a chance to fix that since we've got more cap money freed up since the salary cap came into existence. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, for now, when it comes to personnel decisions.

That being said, I have no problems with his coaching. He makes adjustments throughout the game that we could only dream about during the Wannstedt reign, and has our D playing at a very high level. Although, I feel like the 2007 will be a make or break season for him. If we don't make the playoffs next year, for a 7th consecutive season and Daunte's knee doesn't come back health, heads will be rolling all over this message board.

Fans are extremely fickle, so it's easy for them to call for the coach's head one week and be on his dick the next. Just thank sweet baby jesus their opinions don't matter and that's why they are fans, not GMs or coaches.

I think there is a big crowd that does not like Nick, and every time the opportunity avails, they pounce.

this pretty much sums it up. The only thing I would add is that Dolphins fans must also be the most impatient and schizophrenic fans on the planet.

The weekly mood swings can be unbelievable, but I suspect it's certain people after wins, and certain people after losses

We're coming off of a lose. Doesn't surprise me any.

Because most fans these days are impatient. I think most of us realize there is still work to be done, and that everyone makes mistakes along the way.

Those who overreact just have to be ignored from time to time, that's all.

I agree.

Please we have a lot more than just 2 QB's in question. I think it takes a solid 4 years for a core of players to gel. We have had at least 6 different QB's in 3 years. We have had 3 or 4 different FB's. At least 5 different RB's. Who the knows what's going on, on the O line.

He is finding the right players to fit his system. I hope he's here for the next 25 years. Because of what I see in the offense and the defense. Tell me you don't want to see that defense that's starting to gel next year. I was totally against the scheme he was putting into place at the beginning of the year. Now I have totally bought into it.

I can see our offense getting better. We just need a little time and a couple of componants put into place.

Saban will be fine. So will the Dolphins. :dolphins:

I'm a Saban supporter. I have been since he came. I'm just wondering why peoples opinons change so much on here and who they would pick as someone to replace Saban? Mora perhaps? :rolleyes2

You know what I think our problems are? No QB and no "elite" offensive player.

Some people are fickle. Saban is not God to me... and I haven't changed my mind on him since week 2. Even when we won, I could see he clearly hadn't improved this team to the point it needed to be to be a playoff team. Others are blinded by false optimism. I am not.

Because most fans these days are impatient. I think most of us realize there is still work to be done, and that everyone makes mistakes along the way.

Those who overreact just have to be ignored from time to time, that's all.

I wish this guy was my boss. I could totally under-perform and stay employed and keep getting raises. Dolfan Tom is one helluva guy...esp if you are an inept coach of his team.

Championship - 33 years ago
AFC Champion - 22 years ago
AFC Championship appearance - 14 years ago
Playoff win - 6 years ago
Playoff berth - 5 years ago

I'm 28 and yes I'll be one to admit I'm beyond impatient.

Bravo. Keep your high standards my friend.

Those who are prone to idol worship are always going to be dissappointed when their idols show they're human. Saban is a very good coach, but he's not perfect.

Hes not even close to perfect. Last year we finished second in our divison. Right now, we are in last place. Not progress. Not good.

That's easy. Nick Saban may never fully recover from the only significant blunder he has committed- Pepper over Brees. Even if he made the inteligent decision, the choice that seemed reasonable from a medical standpoint, the bottom line, as luck would have it, was that it turned out to be the wrong decision. Nick Saban's career as a Miami Dolphin may very well lie in the hands of Daunte Culpepper and excuse me for being humorous but DC has been known to fumble. Is Nick Saban married to DC? If he is, it may very well be until death due them part(as far as an NFL career goes).

Outstanding post. Great insight.

Because so far he appears to be over rated as a coach.

What has he accomplished so far (besides a few winning streaks after the team gets buried in the division cellar)?

Initially, some people believed his college record would naturally follow him to the pros. So far it has not.

I want to believe in him (for the Phin's sake) but as far as I'm concerned... the "jury's still out" until he can prove otherwise.

Good post.

Back
Top Bottom