Why is the Tony Wise Still the O-Line Coach!?!? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why is the Tony Wise Still the O-Line Coach!?!?

Penthos

Am I on speaker phone?
Reaction score
I became certain of this while watching the first Fins/Pats game in '03... That's when when I realized how bad our O-Line was. Since the end of the season I've been quiet, waiting to hear that he has been let go. Now Im starting to get concerned that he is going to be back next year. I'll be dissapointed if he stays.

well then you'll be disappointed...if he were gonna be let go it would already happened...

He'll be back. I wish we'd get an upgrade there as well, but he's a Wanny / Norv beer buddy.

ask Wanne, but seriously and in the words of ex-OC Gary Stephens "you can make chicken salad out of chicken poop"

I'd like to see what he can do with decent talent.

Difference between 2003 and 2002.........

- A rookie LT who we were told after the draft was at least a year away (physically) from being ready to contribute.

- A large LG coming off a torn Achilles tendon. Miracle he even played.

- A Center who got another year older and was never dominant to begin with.

- A RG who got a year older and was never dominant to begin with. Plus, he played with a heavy conscience (his mother dying of cancer).

- A RT who pretty much stayed the same.

Then you had Greg Jerman, Billy Yates, and Seth McKinney all getting starts or seeing lots of time.

Appears as if Wise was set up to fail.

This was one change Dave made that was highly questionable....

T. Wise was in Carolina before he was brought to Miami, and the Panthers OL sucked while he was there. I was very uncertain of him from the very beginning, but I had to give him a chance....

He was Dave's buddy, and that's all it seemed to take. He was not hired based on his talent IMO, and that's wrong IMO...

My brother, {a major football guru}, said TW was a solid addition at the time. He knows about football, so I took his word for it. Our OL was considered a weakness prior to the 2002 season, yet TW was able to shuffle it well enough to help RW lead the NFL in rushing. After that, I thought TW was actually an upgrade....

This season, the OL completely tanked. We didn't find any upgrades in FA, and stuck with the aging, injury prone veterans we've been stuck with for years now. That proved to be a huge mistake. We'll see what TW can do some new faces this season, and then we'll really find out exactly what he's capable of....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Originally posted by Muck
I'd like to see what he can do with decent talent.

Difference between 2003 and 2002.........

- A rookie LT who we were told after the draft was at least a year away (physically) from being ready to contribute.

- A large LG coming off a torn Achilles tendon. Miracle he even played.

- A Center who got another year older and was never dominant to begin with.

- A RG who got a year older and was never dominant to begin with. Plus, he played with a heavy conscience (his mother dying of cancer).

- A RT who pretty much stayed the same.

Then you had Greg Jerman, Billy Yates, and Seth McKinney all getting starts or seeing lots of time.

Appears as if Wise was set up to fail.

Thats a pretty good assesment of the situation with the OL last year Muck. Alot of young talent not ready to start but backups for the most part. What would any other OL coach to do?

Let's see how we improve in 04'!

GOOO FIIINZ

:cooldude:

Wise is Wanny's buddy therefore, unless the order to fire him comes from "on high" there's no way he lets the guy go; it's just not his style. Perhaps this is even one of Wanny's fatal flaws as a HC: too much loyalty.

It's nice to have friends working with/for you but, when it comes time to drop the hammer or go in a different direction, it's very difficult to do so without permanently damaging the relationship. While this is a paraphrase, there is an old adage that states that there should be a clear line between your business ilfe and your personal life and that line should rarely, if ever, be crossed. Heck, I know I'd have a hard time firing a close friend, so why should I expect anything different from Wanny?

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think many of us can accurately access if the O-line coach deserves being fired or not. It's not like he had a whole bunch of talent to work with, and they just made dumb mistakes.

I'm glad to see most disagree with me cause hopefully I am wrong. But it seems that other coaches have done better with less. Penalties, missed assignments, bad technique.., thats all coaching.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG
This was one change Dave made that was highly questionable....

T. Wise was in Carolina before he was brought to Miami, and the Panthers OL sucked while he was there. I was very uncertain of him from the very beginning, but I had to give him a chance....

He was Dave's buddy, and that's all it seemed to take. He was not hired based on his talent IMO, and that's wrong IMO...

My brother, {a major football guru}, said TW was a solid addition at the time. He knows about football, so I took his word for it. Our OL was considered a weakness prior to the 2002 season, yet TW was able to shuffle it well enough to help RW lead the NFL in rushing. After that, I thought TW was actually an upgrade....

This season, the OL completely tanked. We didn't find any upgrades in FA, and stuck with the aging, injury prone veterans we've been stuck with for years now. That proved to be a huge mistake. We'll see what TW can do some new faces this season, and then we'll really find out exactly what he's capable of....

PHINZ RULE!!!:pirate:

Go take a look at his resume. You will see why Miami hired him and why he will continue to be Miami's offensive line coach. He's one of the best in the business.

Tony Wise is the offensive line coach that created that monster Dallas offensive line of the early 90s. It isn't because he had great talent either. Nate Newton was a fat, out of shape, underachiever that played in the USFL before Wise got to Dallas. Mark Tuinei was a defensive lineman. During Wise's time in Dallas, they drafted Mark Stepnoski and Erik Williams. They signed underachieving New Orleans guard Derek Kennard.

Upon going to Chicago with Dave, Tony Wise inherited an aging line and transitioned that line into a younger line without losing much production. James "Big Cat" Williams developed under Wise's coaching. Todd Perry became a solid starting offensive guard under Wise. Blake Brockermeyer developed under Tony Wise. Chris Villareal developed under Tony Wise.

Originally posted by 13isgr81
I became certain of this while watching the first Fins/Pats game in '03... That's when when I realized how bad our O-Line was. Since the end of the season I've been quiet, waiting to hear that he has been let go. Now Im starting to get concerned that he is going to be back next year. I'll be dissapointed if he stays.

He is still here because he is friends with Wannstedt. He should have been fired.

Back
Top Bottom