Why it's OK to NOT suck for luck | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why it's OK to NOT suck for luck

fin-atic

Are you a VIP?
Club Member
Reaction score
I was there. I wanted us to get Andrew Luck. I really did. When we were still winless I was getting into all the drama and hoping we would get that prized first pick can't miss QB that would save us from the years of embarrassment this franchise has been. I was a Suck For Luck Sucker. Yep. That's my official name for the people who are on that bandwagon, and are now livid because the Dolphins DARE to win some games. So now I bet you are wondering, what converted me right? There are two very important things that have occurred to me over the last two weeks.

First, I was talking with a friend about how we need another QB like Dan Marino. And how Luck might be the next Marino. Then it hit me, we never won a Super Bowl with Dan Marino and even further, and understanding that it takes WAY more than one player to win it all, or even be in the hunt. Fact is when we lost to Buffalo over and over in the playoffs during the Marino years, we got beat by a better TEAM. Sure quarterback is the MOST important position in today's game, but to think that we would draft Luck and all our problems would be solved is not real. It's just desperate. This team has many more issues to fill and solve before it can challenge New England and Pittsburgh in the conference. Which means that you HAVE to evaluate the current roster inside and out. That means...you have to PLAY them hard and play them to WIN. We have to know about some key players and determine if they are keepers for next year. Players like Anthony Fasano, Reggie Bush, Langford, Sean Smith, Kevin Burnett, and add anyone you want to the list but you get the picture. We will still draft high, we will still most likely get one of the highly regarded QBs in this draft, heck we may even get bold and move UP and get Luck. But the future of the Miami Dolphins does not start or end with Andrew Luck. It is going to take a great personnel person, a better coach, and a couple years of good moves and solid drafts to get back. That is going to need to happen no matter where we draft.

Second reason to not be a Suck for Luck Sucker, is that it feels good to win! I was at the sparsely attended game yesterday and as it became apparent that the Dolphins would not blow this one...the stadium was happy. People were singing, dancing, celebrating with perfect strangers. And it felt good. It felt good to see those touchdowns, it felt good to jump up and celebrate those sacks, and it felt good to win. That is the best part of being a fan is winning.

There is little doubt that there this team will still lose the majority of its last games. This will no doubt lead to regime changes and high draft picks. But in the mean time, enjoy the guilty pleasure that for a few hours over the last two weeks we were fans of the winning team each week. That feels good.

The bottom line in all this 'Suck for Luck' rambling is the Dolphins draft order will not be determined by how I cheered on a Sunday. They will win or lose on their own regardless of what I do and yes we need a good QB but please do not tell me I am not a fan for being glad they pulled out a win in week 8 of the 2011 season.

Best thing i've read on this website in a long time, Kudos and toodles.

I wonder how the win now crowd is going to feel when the Dolphins rip off three more wins and Steve Ross decides to let Ireland and Sparano finish out their contracts.

I understand and can appreciate the intellectual benefit of "sucking" for Luck, especially with us being mired in this wasteland.

However, although I also understand it's a figurative adverb, as a straight male, the way nature has wired me I cannot fathom even engorging a symbolic phallus to gain a long term benefit. As Seinfeld said, "not that there's anything wrong with that" but personally it goes against my nature to fellate for a better team outlook, a more profitable sale or trade, or a job promotion. For me it just ain't natural.

Similarly, for me, rooting for the team I grew up loving to lose feels like bending over in the prison shower. That goes against every way my DNA is coded. I think while Play2Winners can understand the rationalizations the SFLs are making, it's harder, for whatever reason for the SFL'ers to understand the natural impulses, often beyond our controls that drive the P2Ws. And that's too bad cause if you're lit up one night in a club and there are 2 women who've slow danced with you, when it comes to selection, you're gonna follow your natural instincts and responses instead of intellectualizing that one's eyes are too close together and the other's ears stick out too much. It's the same thing with rooting for wins for me- it's what comes naturally.

Just reading some of the comments the last few weeks, it appears that even amongst the members who've intellectualized SFL as the best course of action, they found themselves rooting for the team despite their best intents cause that's another example of nature's imprint.

I've said time and again that there are too many SFL'ers who've distinguished themselves over the years to discount them or their intentions. Most I have no problem with. It's the ones who actively and visibly bellyache and cry like hurt babies, puking the word "mediocre" ad nauseum while taking the Play2winners to task for rooting for team wins with whom I do have issues. You're damn tooting Matt, it does feel good deep down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how the win now crowd is going to feel when the Dolphins rip off three more wins and Steve Ross decides to let Ireland and Sparano finish out their contracts.

Not going to happen but if it makes you feel better saying it 'go for it.'

I understand and can appreciate the intellectual benefit of "sucking" for Luck, especially with us being mired in this wasteland.

However, although I also understand it's a figurative adverb, as a straight male, the way nature has wired me I cannot fathom even engorging a symbolic phallus to gain a long term benefit. As Seinfeld said, "not that there's anything wrong with that" but personally it goes against my nature to fellate for a better team outlook, a more profitable sale or trade, or a job promotion. For me it just ain't natural.

Similarly, for me, rooting for the team I grew up loving to lose feels like bending over in the prison shower. That goes against every way my DNA is coded. I think while Play2Winners can understand the rationalizations the SFLs are making, it's harder, for whatever reason for the SFL'ers to understand the natural impulses, often beyond our controls that drive the P2Ws. And that's too bad cause if you're lit up one night in a club and there are 2 women who've slow danced with you, when it comes to selection, you're gonna follow your natural instincts and responses instead of intellectualizing that one's eyes are too close together and the other's ears stick out too much. It's the same thing with rooting for wins for me- it's what comes naturally.

Just reading some of the comments the last few weeks, it appears that even amongst the members who've intellectualized SFL as the best course of action, they found themselves rooting for the team despite their best intents cause that's another example of nature's imprint.

I've said time and again that there are too many SFL'ers who've distinguished themselves over the years to discount them or their intentions. Most I have no problem with. It's the ones who actively and visibly bellyache and cry like hurt babies, puking the word "mediocre" ad nauseum while taking the Play2winners to task for rooting for team wins with whom I do have issues. You're damn tooting Matt, it does feel good deep down.

You manage to turn a simple task of losing football games into giving a *******. I dont see the correlation there.

Not going to happen but if it makes you feel better saying it 'go for it.'

We'll see. I think Ireland stays if the team manages 2-3 more wins.

One win today against a terrible team is not worth as much as 10 or more wins -- when the team is in playoff contention -- some time down the line.

You manage to turn a simple task of losing football games into giving a *******. I dont see the correlation there.

Monarch Notes Version: It's an underlying symbolic pathology our natural instincts prevent us from buying into no matter the potential gain.

If I **** on this, will I be banned?

Marino played in a different era. The QB is more valuable now - due to rules, the way the game is played, etc.

Because Aaron Rodgers is gawd, the Packers will be the favorite to win the SB every year he is healthy - until the next gawd comes along.

Monarch Notes Version: It's an underlying symbolic pathology our natural instincts prevent us from buying into no matter the potential gain.

You: "I dont want Luck, cause I don't give *******s"

Pretty weird way of thinking. But thats just my perspective.

Me: "We won't get Luck. GET OVER IT!"

Back
Top Bottom