Why Jay should and will start | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why Jay should and will start

Originally posted by DolphinVJ
Dolphan-B,

There are other 2002 stats that favor Griese over Fiedler and I will not repeat in this thread because it is well chronicled in another thread. Also keep in mind that 2002 was a down year for Griese and a career year for Fielder.

Jason in LA,

Welcome to our Board. I think Griese is better at making more types of throws than Fiedler; Fiedler hardly completes longer throws. If Griese is so inept how come he had a pro bowl year a couple of years ago? Fiedler has thrown away more than his share of games as well. Griese was 8-4 in the games he played a lot last year and Buerlein was 1-3 in the other games.

I do agree that Fiedler probably has better intangibles and that he should start over Griese to begin the season not because he is better but because he is better in Norv's system currently.

Yes Fiedler throws alot games away and that why team has a great winning percentage with him starting.

huh? 2002 was the only year he missed more than one game? he missed one game in 2000 with the sep shoulder and sprined MCL, although he should have sat for more but he played. 2001 missed time in TC but played all 17 games.

Jay throws games away? which ones? we need to stop this debate it is going nowhere.

The last time an opposing team scored off of a Fiedler INT was way back at the 2001 Jets game, which was bar none the worst game of Fiedler's career.

Fiedler learned to throw the ball away after that game (probably under an implied threat of being benched)...

Unfortunately, this is still a weak point for Brian. He threw away a homefield win against Miami and I think he similarly threw away the game against the Ravens.

Sorry Guys,

If You do the math for the last 3 years,
Griese's QB numbers are more superior to Fiedler's

Passing % Fielder 59.6 , Mr. Brian Griese 69.3 GRIESE!
Games played Fiedler 42, Griese 38 GRIESE!
Touchdowns Fiedler 48, Griese 57 GRIESE!
Interceptions Fiedler 42, Griese 38 GRIESE!

Fiedler
| Year TM | G | Comp Att PCT YD Y/A TD INT | Att Yards TD |
| 2000 mia | 15 | 204 357 57.1 2402 6.7 14 14 | 54 267 1 |
| 2001 mia | 16 | 273 450 60.7 3290 7.3 20 19 | 73 321 4 |
| 2002 mia | 11 | 179 292 61.3 2024 6.9 14 9 | 27 108 3 |

Griese
| 2000 den | 10 | 216 336 64.3 2688 8.0 19 4 | 28 104 1 |
| 2001 den | 15 | 275 451 61.0 2827 6.3 23 19 | 50 173 1 |
| 2002 den | 13 | 281 422 66.6 3112 7.4 15 15 | 37 107 1 |

Whoever our QB is going to be, may he lead our Fins to Superbowl Victory!

Thanks for the welcome.

The win/loss record for Griese and Beuerlein are very misleading. Griese started 14 games, while Beuerlein only starter 2. The only game that Griese really won was the game at KC. He brought the team back in that game. But all the other wins were because of the defense and the running game. Griese almost threw away the games against the Rams and the Bills. The game against the Seahawks was very close until he got hurt in the 3rd quarter. He was a non factor in the win over the Niners because he threw only 19 passes, and the Broncos ran the ball 40 times. He was horrible in both games against the Raiders, he threw away the Dolphins game, he did nothing in a very close loss against the Jets, he did nothing in the loss against the Ravens.

Beuelein only got two starts. One was in a snow storm against the Colts, which ended up being an OT loss. It was his first start in two year, so it was understandible that he was rusty. He played average. The next week against the Chargers he played better, but the Broncos let the Chargers run for over 200 yards on them, and they lost another OT game. Beuerlein played more of the last Raider game than Griese, but that loss goes to Griese. He had the Broncos in a 21-0 hole before he got hurt(got benched). In a losing effort, Beuerlein got the Broncos to within 21-16 before they lost 28-16.

The point of all this is that the win/loss records are very misleading.

Griese was a Pro Bowler back in 2000, but that seems like ages ago. In that year he was only 5-4 as a starter. Gus Frerrote, who isnt' a good QB, didn't have the stats that Griese had, but he went 6-1 as a starter and got the Broncos into the playoffs. Since that Pro Bowl year Griese has been a below average QB. He has had 2-3 surgries on his throwing shoulder, and it shows. When ever he throws passes over 10 yards down field they are soft balls. I'm pretty sure all of you have seen the hits that McCaffrey has taken over the past two years because of Griese's lob passes. In 2001 Griese had the excuse that a lot of starter on offense were hurt, and he milked that excuse as much as he could. But last year he didn't have that excuse. He just plain sucked.

I haven't watched Fiedler enough to comment on his passing down field. But Griese doesn't even attempt those passes.

As for Griese's high percentage rate, it's pretty easy to complete a lot of passes when you are a dink and dunk QB. He was able to complete a ton of quick slants and hitches. Quick outs to the TEs was also one of his favorites. But what good is a 5 yard hitch, quick slant or quick out if it's 3rd and 6 or more? Too many times the Broncos had to get out the punt team because Griese threw the ball to a guy short of the first down.

If I were a Dolphin fan, I would be rooting for Fiedler to stay healthy. But sense I'm a fan of a conference rival, I'm hoping they play Griese often. (AIF):drinkers:

Originally posted by MoeGoFins13
Sorry Guys,

If You do the math for the last 3 years,
Griese's QB numbers are more superior to Fiedler's

Passing % Fielder 59.6 , Mr. Brian Griese 69.3 GRIESE!
Games played Fiedler 42, Griese 38 GRIESE!
Touchdowns Fiedler 48, Griese 57 GRIESE!
Interceptions Fiedler 42, Griese 38 GRIESE!

Fiedler
| 2000 mia | 15 | 204 357 57.1 2402 6.7 14 14 | 54 267 1 |
| 2001 mia | 16 | 273 450 60.7 3290 7.3 20 19 | 73 321 4 |
| 2002 mia | 11 | 179 292 61.3 2024 6.9 14 9 | 27 108 3 |

Griese
| 2000 den | 10 | 216 336 64.3 2688 8.0 19 4 | 28 104 1 |
| 2001 den | 15 | 275 451 61.0 2827 6.3 23 19 | 50 173 1 |
| 2002 den | 13 | 281 422 66.6 3112 7.4 15 15 | 37 107 1 |

Whoever our QB is going to be, may he lead our Fins to Superbowl Victory!

Yeah, I guess playing less games and being injured more is better these days. :rolleyes2

Also, you have to consider that Griese was BENCHED becuase of his performance. He only had those stats because of who was around him. In his first season, he had some RB (I believe that was Anderson's 1500 yard season) and a healthy McCaffrey and Smith. The next year, the running wasn't as good, and McCaffrey was hurt, so he wasn't as good. Last season, he had a 1500 yard RB in Portis, but McCaffrey wasn't as good as before. However, he still had Shannon Sharpe and Rod Smith. He should have put up better numbers last year with the talent around him. Last season, the Broncos were better at WR and TE.

Originally posted by DolphinVJ
Dolphan-B,

There are other 2002 stats that favor Griese over Fiedler and I will not repeat in this thread because it is well chronicled in another thread. Also keep in mind that 2002 was a down year for Griese and a career year for Fielder.

Jason in LA,

Welcome to our Board. I think Griese is better at making more types of throws than Fiedler; Fiedler hardly completes longer throws. If Griese is so inept how come he had a pro bowl year a couple of years ago? Fiedler has thrown away more than his share of games as well. Griese was 8-4 in the games he played a lot last year and Buerlein was 1-3 in the other games.

I do agree that Fiedler probably has better intangibles and that he should start over Griese to begin the season not because he is better but because he is better in Norv's system currently.

since Fiedler has gotten better every year and Griese has not, why isn't it fair to use 2002 when comparing the 2???

Originally posted by Jason in LA
As for Griese's high percentage rate, it's pretty easy to complete a lot of passes when you are a dink and dunk QB. He was able to complete a ton of quick slants and hitches. Quick outs to the TEs was also one of his favorites. But what good is a 5 yard hitch, quick slant or quick out if it's 3rd and 6 or more? Too many times the Broncos had to get out the punt team because Griese threw the ball to a guy short of the first down.

If I were a Dolphin fan, I would be rooting for Fiedler to stay healthy. But sense I'm a fan of a conference rival, I'm hoping they play Griese often. (AIF):drinkers:

This observation certainly coincides with JF's superior QB rating on 3rd down.

Originally posted by Jeep
The numbers from last year doesnt really tell the whole story.. Denver was playing "catch-up" more times than the Phins were.. and therefore in the second half when we were experiencing Run-Ricky-Run.. Greise didnt have the same luxury and was playing aggressive trying to win in the last quarter..

And to make the comment Jay "earned his job"

well lets just say..

Dan earned the right to play one more year..
OG earned the right to a better contract
and
Fletcher earned the right to start this year..

All I am saying is.... Let the best man win

I totally agree with the best man winning comment. However i DO NOT agree that Fletcher earned his way to start this season. This guy has not made any progress since his rookie year and has made big mistakes costing us games. I am one of the BIGGEST dolphin fans around and like all my players but two... Jamar Fletcher and James McKnight. McKnight i can handle though because he has speed that he uses sometimes and if he used his ability all the time instead of making mistakes he would be great. Fletcher on the other hand.. just dont have the talent IMO.

Not True

Originally posted by rickeyrunsover
huh? 2002 was the only year he missed more than one game? he missed one game in 2000 with the sep shoulder and sprined MCL, although he should have sat for more but he played. 2001 missed time in TC but played all 17 games.
He missed the entire preseason, or close to it his first year as a starter, then missed some more games 2-3 I believe when Huard took over. It was mid season....Huard beat the Colts during the stretch I remember. Wasnt it both hips, and another injury (back?)

You know we'll never agree on who should start, I'm glad it's not our jobs to do so, because Sage would be the starter because we wouldn't let Jay or Brian on the field, because of our love for one and dislike of the other...and visa versa..Our debates will never change what the coaches will do..but these debates have proven one thing to me..that both QB's are about the same in talent..the intangibles will probably decide the starter..But since this debate will never be settled here, can we all just get along..and move on.:D

QUOTE]Originally posted by T-ROCK

since Fiedler has gotten better every year and Griese has not, why isn't it fair to use 2002 when comparing the 2???
[/QUOTE]

I did not say it is not "fair" to use 2002 when comparing them but I just wanted us to keep things in proper perspective (Fiedler had a career year in 2002). I actually used 2002 stats in another thread where Griese came out better. Looking at 2002 only is similar to saying that Tony Parker is a better PG than Jason Kidd because he has outplayed him in 2 of 3 games head to head and his team is 2-1 over Kidd's. We need to look a little deeper and longer than that.

Jason,

It is difficult to discredit a QB when he wins a game regardless of his stats. It is wrong to credit only the RB and Def for a win and not the QB unless the Team won despite a bunch of turnovers by the QB. If the RB or Def played the same game and Griese threw 5 Int. they would not win, would they? So the QB does need some credit for winning as does RB and Def. It is similar to saying that Joe Montana really did not win those championships because their great Defense and RBs did the job and that Montana was a dink and dunk QB whose receivers constantly took the short passes to the house.

I think we can win the SB with either Fiedler or Griese and every QB is only as good as their supporting cast. Otherwise Dan Marino would have been winning Superbowls every year. It is a Team Sport. Fiedler is a decent improving QB and he deserves to start.

How long are you guys going to keep trying to shove Jay down everyone's throat??

For every stat you can produce and twist to say Jay is better, I can give you two that says Griese is. So what does it all mean??

Nothing until they battle it out in camp and preseason. The best QB will win and if it is Jay great! If not than great!

Fact is that both of these guys have been injury prone, so they will both play. We are lucky to have the duo.

Honestly, I can't believe you guys won't give it up.

PS
You guys are wrong about the supporting cast. Look at the old and injured guys he was throwing to. Please.

Back
Top Bottom